Notices
2005-2009 S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2005-2009 S197's

Had an idea for a new interior mod?

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2010, 08:46 AM
UpTo11
3rd Gear Member

Default Had an idea for a new interior mod?

I was thinking that I wanted to do SOMETHING with the door subwoofers, originally I just wanted to paint the bezels silver to break up the black, but now I had an idea. I think it would look badass if I painted the speaker bezels silver (like my dash) and painted the actual speaker overlay itself red (like my seats, panels, trim, floor mats) I think it would make for a really retro, classic look, but I don't know for sure. What do you guys think? Anyone willing to do a chop?

Old 06-01-2010, 10:06 AM
socalwrench
4th Gear Member

I like the red door panel inserts, but I don't think the speaker covers or trim rings would look good red. The silver, however, looks fine. It's a tough call for me because they are such ugly speakers. I'm actually glad my car doesn't have them.

BTW, one thing I've noticed when it comes to interiors of classic cars- they had more metal. I mean, there were metal trim pieces, metal buttons, metal levers and metal emblems. Maybe a few retro emblems would add just a small enough retro style.
Old 06-01-2010, 11:58 AM
Adam
4th Gear Member

Silver trim, leave the speaker cover black. Chances are the red wouldn't match your door insert and it would look very strange.
Old 06-01-2010, 04:55 PM
Philostang
3rd Gear Member

I feel your pain. I hated the stock sub cover so much I just took the damn thing out and replaced it. If you're picky about a perfect fit, deal with the stock unit. But if you just want a better look in general, I prefer the Polk Momo sub grilles.

Close up:

The stock sub is angled, so at the back they don't fit flush as they should. Originally I had plans to address this with some plastic work, but I've been busy addressing handling concerns - it's more fun to listen to your tires squeal than the radio these days.

Here's the disparity (you don't usually see this when driving or opening the door, but I thought I'd show it so folks know what they're up against if they do something similar):

And since I'm in a picture-mood, here's a shot of what you most frequently see - the shot across to the passenger side:

Best,
-j
Old 06-01-2010, 09:51 PM
DanielKSpencer
2nd Gear Member

I have to say, I wouldn't do them in red. I think, as we've covered, the covers are ugly. If you paint them red, they will show up even more. I say leave them as is so they don't stick out anymore than they have to
Old 06-02-2010, 10:02 AM
socalwrench
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by DanielKSpencer
..I say leave them as is so they don't stick out anymore than they have to
+1 to that

Those aftermarket ones looking kind of cool though.
Old 06-02-2010, 10:31 AM
08blackoutstang
4th Gear Member

i love the aftermarket ones. Wonder if you can put that grill on a stock unit
Old 06-02-2010, 11:33 AM
UpTo11
3rd Gear Member

Actually I rather like the door woofers. But, if you're all screaming no, I might as well not do it.
Old 06-02-2010, 06:47 PM
Philostang
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 08blackoutstang
i love the aftermarket ones. Wonder if you can put that grill on a stock unit
If you were commenting on the aftermarket ones I have (pics above), the answer is yes. I didn't change the sub itself. I just took out the stock grille and replaced it with the one from Polk (a joint venture with MOMO). It's a pretty easy swap, but getting off the OEM grille pretty much trashes them (the inner part of it is glued on).

I'm pretty sure you can use just about any aftermarket grill and they'll work (screw/bolt hole pattern is standard). I believe they were 10" grilles.

Best,
-j
Old 06-03-2010, 12:03 AM
08blackoutstang
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Philostang
If you were commenting on the aftermarket ones I have (pics above), the answer is yes. I didn't change the sub itself. I just took out the stock grille and replaced it with the one from Polk (a joint venture with MOMO). It's a pretty easy swap, but getting off the OEM grille pretty much trashes them (the inner part of it is glued on).

I'm pretty sure you can use just about any aftermarket grill and they'll work (screw/bolt hole pattern is standard). I believe they were 10" grilles.

Best,
-j
o wow i couldnt even tell those where the oem subs! those turned out great, really spices it all up

Quick Reply: Had an idea for a new interior mod?