Notices
2005-2009 S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2005-2009 S197's

Some cheap and home made dress up mods!

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2010, 05:25 PM
09cs
5th Gear Member

The red looks great!! I love the GT/CS on the trunk lid, but also a little too big for my taste and would love to know how you went about doing that.
Old 07-18-2010, 07:46 PM
Starfire
3rd Gear Member

Yeah it's a little big, but I can cut a smaller one. I do have a file I can post for the outline of the trunk panel, but it's at work so I'll post tomorrow.
Old 07-18-2010, 09:16 PM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

Holy smokes.. great engine bay!

What type of GT was it again?
Old 07-18-2010, 11:53 PM
09cs
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Starfire
Yeah it's a little big, but I can cut a smaller one. I do have a file I can post for the outline of the trunk panel, but it's at work so I'll post tomorrow.
What did you use to make it?
Old 07-19-2010, 08:12 AM
Starfire
3rd Gear Member

Ok for those interested here is the file for the outline and a little write up.

http://www.starfiregraphics.net/Trunklid.pdf

I used Dibond to make the core, since we had some scrap at work. (http://www.dibond.com.au/html/s02_ar...&nav_top_id=69) but you could use anything thin (1/8" is how thick my core is).

Then I went to O'Reillys auto parts (Advance has it too) and picked up rolled carpethttp://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/se...keyword=carpet it comes in tan, blue, black, and gray. I used black since my car is black and white, the gray might be a better match for what's in the trunk though.

Also picked up General Trim Adhesive by 3M http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...0474&ppt=C0171
It comes in a black can. Just followed the instructions and glued the carpet to the core then trimmed around about 1" from the edge and use the same adhesive to wrap and stick the edge over the back of the core.

Next I moved the wires that run for the light, latch and 3d brake light by removing the clips circled in yellow and ran the wire like shown in green. Then I drilled a hole on the left side where the blue circle is, this matches up to the farthest right hole from which you just removed the clips from.

Then it's just a matter of finding a fastener to hold the panel up with the two holes. I ended up using some sheet metal screws but I would like to replace them with the black plastic retainers that hold your hood liner in place, but they need to be longer since the dibond doesn't flex much.

For the letters I routed them at work on our CNC router out of 1/8" white plexiglass and attached them to the lid using good'ol velcro, if you wiggle and push them in they will stick really well to that carpet, plus then I was able to cover my screws but still have access if I need to.

BTW for the holes I just put some screws in the trunk lid and put a little peanut butter on them and pressed my core piece on them to find where to drill, worked perfect.
Old 07-19-2010, 11:43 AM
07 Stang
6th Gear Member

Thanks Starfire for the links! I'll get started on mine soon.
Old 07-21-2010, 06:41 PM
sinabite

very awesome!! can not wait to get started on mine! thank you so much for posting info on doing this!
Old 07-21-2010, 09:38 PM
Starfire
3rd Gear Member

No prob, glad to be of help.
Old 07-22-2010, 12:52 AM
r0ng5

i think a well-dressed, tasteful engine bay is important. good inspiration.
Old 07-23-2010, 07:36 AM
sinabite

now that the weather is heating up, just curious if you've had any problems with the adhesive spray?

Quick Reply: Some cheap and home made dress up mods!