Notices
2005-2009 S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2005-2009 S197's

new hood?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2010, 10:18 AM
JDWalton
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by mygt500
OP do some research on Trufiber hoods in a search....many reviews were not great ones and trust me I know first hand...they are awesome looking and some are very functional hoods but they are not all that well finished...ask pascal....(moderator for this forum)

Really? this is the first I have heard that they still have problems? My mom just ordered one too. I had heard some people talk about having issues with them when they started makeing them for our cars, but thats going back like 5 years now. Everything I have heard recently was that they are very good and well finished. Can you elaborate, just want to see if there is anything we should look out for when my mom gets hers.
Old 09-04-2010, 10:32 AM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

Like mygt500 said, use the search...
I posted a bunches of pictures a while back that shows what you need to know.
Those hood need a lot of prep, so much so, that it's very expensive to get them to look right.
They don't have a lot of gelcoat and that's the main problem.
You need a good bond before painting and by the time you sand block them, you have little gelcoat left. Bad news.
My experience is terrible with them but I'm sure that someone has had better luck than I did.

To give you an idea, I charge about $1200 to prep and paint those, sometimes more.
As opposed to about $500 with other brands.
Old 09-04-2010, 11:27 AM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

Originally Posted by pascal
Yeah well, I'm not going there, lol.

My favorite as far as fiberglass stuff, is Cervini or Kaenen.
I'm doing the new Cervini (KR style) next week for a buddy to put on his GT500.
It looks so much better in person than some of the pictures I've seen of it.
I just got this thing yesterday and upon inspection and true to Cervini, it's top notch quality.
The hood includes 68 style hood pins and most importantly, it comes with twist lock brackets.
It's mega important in my book, non pro guys won't have to rig up a Mickey Mouse system.

I still have to pre-fit it but I ain't worry about anything bad.

I will make a thread and post pics next week when I start that job.
Sorry Pascal....not trying to stir the pot...

Thanks for your insight and info on what you do like and what you have worked with in the past and the future!...sure the OP appreciates it
Old 09-04-2010, 11:53 AM
2007bluestang
4th Gear Member

oh i do
Old 09-04-2010, 04:09 PM
JDWalton
5th Gear Member

Well i used the search and after going through about 15 posts on trufiber hoods, Pascal you seem to be the only one hating on them. Not meant as a insult but this is what I have seen. You have gone into a lot of threads and said there quality is bad. In other threads where people talk about getting them that you are not in, someone inveitably chimes in and refrences there bad fitment, telling them to look for you... lol. I KNOW you know your stuff, but it seems like they are getting a unfairly bad name on these forums. Everyone else that chimed in on the threads I looked at, that actualy have the hood, had nothing really bad to say. All that had it say they absolutly love it.

One guy did talk about the shop quoting him at 1400 but that was with removal of fenders, bumpers, and blending everything. Not a simple prep, spray, and install.

All that said, I'll post a update here in two weeks. By then it will be installed on my moms car. I know as it sits now, they said 400-450 to prep, paint, and install. A little more if it needs a lot of prep, like 500. Well see how much it cost, how it turns out, and I'll get some pics up.
Old 09-04-2010, 04:11 PM
2007bluestang
4th Gear Member

id appreciate that
Old 09-04-2010, 04:45 PM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

Originally Posted by JDWalton
Well i used the search and after going through about 15 posts on trufiber hoods, Pascal you seem to be the only one hating on them. Not meant as a insult but this is what I have seen. You have gone into a lot of threads and said there quality is bad. In other threads where people talk about getting them that you are not in, someone inveitably chimes in and refrences there bad fitment, telling them to look for you... lol. I KNOW you know your stuff, but it seems like they are getting a unfairly bad name on these forums. Everyone else that chimed in on the threads I looked at, that actualy have the hood, had nothing really bad to say. All that had it say they absolutly love it.

One guy did talk about the shop quoting him at 1400 but that was with removal of fenders, bumpers, and blending everything. Not a simple prep, spray, and install.

All that said, I'll post a update here in two weeks. By then it will be installed on my moms car. I know as it sits now, they said 400-450 to prep, paint, and install. A little more if it needs a lot of prep, like 500. Well see how much it cost, how it turns out, and I'll get some pics up.
I dont hate them nor does Pascal...he owns his own body shop and has extensive experience with these hoods... I use my car for show and being black paint with silver stripes I was quoted 1300 bucks and that was at a discounted labor rate per hour.....Trufiber is very popular I just wanted the OP to be informed on this big decision on buying a hood...I know of many other members that have the hoods and some it took over 1K to get it right and others 450...my quote didnt even inc blending with any surrounding area but for factory black it really is not necessary...just need to make sure the stripes line up correctly...I got the hood and a sponsorship from Trufiber 2 yrs ago when these hoods were extremely popular (the GTS3 was out for maybe a yr or 2 actually cause I was not sure about paying 600 bucks for something that required more work than any Cervini hood out there) and I still have it in my garage unpainted....I have pics and went back and forth with Trufiber on this and just wanted to make sure the OP was getting the most informed decision for whatever hood he choses.

Anyway we are all entitled to our opinions and its not just this forum that expressed problems with the quality of the hoods from Trufiber....the design is amazing as I have stated but the quality of mine sucks...wasn't even going to say a thing until I saw your response to pascal and myself....no biggie and JD glad your happy with yours.
I still plan on getting it painted but waiting for the funds to do so since the Trufiber hood is so functional with the heat extractors and the ram air intakes

Last edited by mygt500; 09-04-2010 at 04:49 PM.
Old 09-04-2010, 04:59 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

Originally Posted by JDWalton

"Howarmat" and "05 Mustang" have posted that their body shop didn't think much of those hoods when they start to work on them.
They managed to make them look good in the end...
"md55", another member here, isn't all that thrilled with his either and I can relate, I saw his in person.
So that's 3 members that I can name from the top of my head.
I don't think Trufiber is getting unfair treatment here, their quality is described accurately IMO.
Their appealing style makes up for the "Imperfections" to a lot of people I guess.
And I'm sure they're are fine specimens out there.
Look, not everyone's right ALL the time and not everyone's wrong ALL the time, so take this for what it's worth.

I don't have stock in Cervini or other brands but I have yet to find one of those that makes me sweat, lol.
Their urethane kits/ground effects on the other end, is almost the opposite.

You should go ahead and get that hood anyway, since that's the one you want...

Jason, thanks for further making my point.
Old 09-04-2010, 08:20 PM
05 Mustang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by pascal
Yeah well, I'm not going there, lol.

My favorite as far as fiberglass stuff, is Cervini or Kaenen.
I'm doing the new Cervini (KR style) next week for a buddy to put on his GT500.
It looks so much better in person than some of the pictures I've seen of it.
I just got this thing yesterday and upon inspection and true to Cervini, it's top notch quality.
The hood includes 68 style hood pins and most importantly, it comes with twist lock brackets.
It's mega important in my book, non pro guys won't have to rig up a Mickey Mouse system.

I still have to pre-fit it but I ain't worry about anything bad.

I will make a thread and post pics next week when I start that job.
Is this the hood you and I were talking about on the phone the other day?? Please make sure to shoot me some pictures, because a KR style hood is definitely on my "to-do" list
Old 09-05-2010, 07:24 AM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

Originally Posted by 05 Mustang
Is this the hood you and I were talking about on the phone the other day?? Please make sure to shoot me some pictures, because a KR style hood is definitely on my "to-do" list
It sure is.
I'm not saying who it is, but you know the car...

Quick Reply: new hood?