Notices
2005-2009 S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2005-2009 S197's

Custom interior painting. Have some questions.

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2010, 06:38 PM
ikemikestang
2nd Gear Member

Default Custom interior painting. Have some questions.

Highlighted so you guys can know what im talking about.

First- (green highlight) What paint should i use for the air vents? I wanna do a glossy black. What paint and prep?

Second- (Yellow highlight) Is it possible to remove the panel and paint it? Wanna do a grabber orange. Again what paint/prep??

Third- (Purple Highlight) Is it possible to paint these parts of the wheel? Would like to do grabber orange again. What paint/prep?

If you have any experience with any of this, please help me out! Much appreciated!

Old 09-28-2010, 08:46 PM
JimC

I painted my vents just a light scuff with fine sandpaper and some plastic paint. The "chrome" trim rings come off, just be careful that you don't break the plastic clip - it is easier if you lay the vent flat and work the clips easily to open them and when you are done reverse the process (one side has a notch).

The other parts will come off - for the radio surround you have to pull the top of the console off (there is a write up if you search), then the bottom of the console (again there is a write up), pull the side sail panels straight back and you should see the screws holding in the radio surround panel.

The trim on the steering wheel I have heard can be pulled off, it is held on by adhesive. I've never done it myself though.

Now as far as the grabber orange paint on those areas - might be a little bit garish for my taste but it's your car. Why don't you have someone do a photoshop though first and see if you like the look.
Old 09-28-2010, 09:11 PM
ikemikestang
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by JimC
I painted my vents just a light scuff with fine sandpaper and some plastic paint. The "chrome" trim rings come off, just be careful that you don't break the plastic clip - it is easier if you lay the vent flat and work the clips easily to open them and when you are done reverse the process (one side has a notch).

The other parts will come off - for the radio surround you have to pull the top of the console off (there is a write up if you search), then the bottom of the console (again there is a write up), pull the side sail panels straight back and you should see the screws holding in the radio surround panel.

The trim on the steering wheel I have heard can be pulled off, it is held on by adhesive. I've never done it myself though.

Now as far as the grabber orange paint on those areas - might be a little bit garish for my taste but it's your car. Why don't you have someone do a photoshop though first and see if you like the look.
Yeah, ill photoshop it onto there myself before doing that. My seats have orange on them, so i thought itd look good on the console. But well see
Old 10-01-2010, 01:35 AM
07BLACKGT
5th Gear Member

I think it would look good if done right... especially on the steering wheel. and yes those just pull right off the steering wheel. I pulled one off for ****s and giggles to see what was underneath it.

I would get a professional to do it though, unless you have painting experience. I've tried to get my interior painting to look right over and over but I just can't seem to pull it off to look perfect. I'm going to take the stuff off my car and give my guy $75 to spray assorted things I want... it shouldn't be too expensive if you don't mind driving around with a dis-assembled interior for a few days lol. The steering wheel areas will be really easy to mess up and would be prone to everyday wear and tear too, so a good solid clear coat from a pro would keep the paint looking new and glossy for years to come.

You can look up a youtube video on how to install a headunit to get the radio surround off. I wrapped mine in leather... this is a picture of the first attempt at it. I ended up re-doing it and it looks perfect this go round.

That was a PITA though, it'd be easier to paint it

Oh and 1 more idea for the grabber orange... instead of the radio surround you could photoshop it on the column things on each side of the radio to see how it would look... this is where I put mine. I don't know if the orange would clash being butted up against the silver or not though.

Old 10-01-2010, 03:10 PM
awsomeaussies206
2nd Gear Member

That leather looks good! I might have to try that! Did you just use spray adhesive?