Notices
2005-2009 S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2005-2009 S197's

Painting yourself

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2010, 10:53 PM
datsyuk
1st Gear Member

Default Painting yourself

Was wondering if anyone has had luck painting any body parts themselves? I'm curious to see how hard it would be to paint my own mirrors on the car Vista Blue like my car. Also I'd like to paint my upper dash which is silver and my a/c vent louvers. Sure its been done but can anyone direct me on how to do so on the interior pieces as far as ripping it all apart and if anyone can let me know about the mirrors that could be great. I have a chin spoiler unpainted also and have read some stories I think where people did them their-selves. So once again, any help please let me know!
Old 10-07-2010, 01:19 AM
Cobra Drifter
4th Gear Member

First, I would hope that you wouldnt be using a spray can to paint but a professional spray gun with air compressor?
Old 10-07-2010, 02:28 AM
staggolee
4th Gear Member

I have but it was only my chin spoiler and it was easy because it was just flat black. No way would I try to paint something my car's color while worrying about color matching and all that.
Old 10-07-2010, 12:33 PM
MOOK3456
4th Gear Member

I wouldn't even attempt it myself.
Old 10-07-2010, 01:34 PM
datsyuk
1st Gear Member

As far as the exterior? What about the interior? I've seen people spray their upper dashes and center consoles. I have Vista Blue with charcol interior and I'm thinking of either doing a Black upper dash with black a/c louvers OR spray the center console gray to match the upper dash I have now with the black a/c louvers.
Old 10-07-2010, 03:23 PM
Craig H

my suggestion would be to go to the nearest junkyard and get a few interior pieces from some POS they are about to scrap. That should only cost you $10 bucks or so. Give it a go on that and see how well it turns out. It will give you practice if you decide to try it on your mustang, or will save you from making a costly mistake on your mustang.
Old 10-08-2010, 10:11 AM
StickShifty
5th Gear Member

http://www.automotivetouchup.com/

i just installed and painted 2011 mirrors for my car. i got primer, paint, and clear from that above site. great products.

-i sanded the texture on the mirror covers down smooth, 2 coats of primer, 3 coats of paint, and 3 coats of clear. i wetsanded every coat of primer and paint with 1200. then i wetsanded the clear with 1200 after it dried overnight. then buffed the covers with stage 1 and 3 polish, came out great.

i would do it yourself, it was very easy.

i attached a picture of mine.
Attached Thumbnails Painting yourself-imag0008.jpg  

Last edited by StickShifty; 10-08-2010 at 10:16 AM.
Old 10-08-2010, 10:52 AM
datsyuk
1st Gear Member

Thank you StickShifty! I figure if I can take the time and paint my own mirrors why not right? Chin spoiler I'll more than likely get done professionally. I have a quote of $175 right for it to be painted. But I figured hey why not lol, seems like its the same thing as the mirrors but just larger.
Old 10-08-2010, 11:44 AM
svastano
4th Gear Member

I painted both my Chin Spoiler and the rear spoiler. Used a professional spray gun HVLP & compressor. It is worth the savings to me.
Old 10-08-2010, 12:44 PM
datsyuk
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by svastano
I painted both my Chin Spoiler and the rear spoiler. Used a professional spray gun HVLP & compressor. It is worth the savings to me.
How much did a spray gun cost you? Also did it come out good and is blending an issue? Because over the winter I am going to be adding a Roush spoiler as well which will also need paint.

Quick Reply: Painting yourself