Notices
2005-2009 S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2005-2009 S197's

lowering the stang questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2010, 08:38 AM
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by StangNinja
I lowered mine 1.5 inches and did not change the shocks and struts. I dont think the ride is much rougher or maybe I just didn't notice since there aren't many potholes where I am. I figured I'll get the most out of the stock ones before upgrading.
+1, I've been on my stocks for about 7000 miles. I have the eibach pro-kit 1.3/1.4
Old 10-26-2010, 10:09 AM
Misbehavin
2nd Gear Member

My sig has a picture of my '06 GT with the Steeda Sport springs. The drop is a little more due to the car being a 'vert, but it isn't much more.

I will say that the ride from the Steeda Sports, are more comfortable than any other spring I've experienced on other cars when the stock shocks and struts were involved. I've had numerous friends comment how much better my ride feels than theirs does, and I will second that after being in their cars.
Old 10-29-2010, 05:28 PM
stealth32
2nd Gear Member

ok so im stuck with these 2 ebachi or frpp. I kinda scrape my chin spoiler but its only the bottom with the stocks. Will a 1.5 drop be too much. Its more when pulling into my driveway is the only time it scrapes. Again isnt noticable but does scrape

thanks
Old 10-29-2010, 05:45 PM
Roy_R
4th Gear Member

These people are giving you bad advice....you want the Steeda Sport Springs, with the Koni STRT.T and the Steeda Heavy Duty Strut Mounts. Contact Sam Strano on this board...enjoy. This is the best ride available for these stangs.

I have a thread on this board regarding the install, do it yourself, super easy.

Last edited by Roy_R; 10-29-2010 at 05:51 PM.
Old 10-29-2010, 06:32 PM
D'prived
4th Gear Member

FRPP 1.5" drop springs with Tokico D-Spec adjustable shocks/struts. DIY is pretty easy. Just need the right tools.

Old 10-29-2010, 11:47 PM
DRock
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by stealth32
ok so im stuck with these 2 ebachi or frpp. I kinda scrape my chin spoiler but its only the bottom with the stocks. Will a 1.5 drop be too much. Its more when pulling into my driveway is the only time it scrapes. Again isnt noticable but does scrape

thanks
FRPP and eibach are the same spring just with two different names. Just an FYI
Old 10-31-2010, 07:58 PM
Misbehavin
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by RideMyAssOff
These people are giving you bad advice....you want the Steeda Sport Springs, with the Koni STRT.T and the Steeda Heavy Duty Strut Mounts. Contact Sam Strano on this board...enjoy. This is the best ride available for these stangs.

I have a thread on this board regarding the install, do it yourself, super easy.
That would be great, except for the fact that he specifically said he only wanted to change the springs, nothing else.
Old 11-01-2010, 02:07 PM
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by stealth32

thanks
I have the same chin as you with the eibach pro kit and only scrape on steep inclines... Normal driving conditions and you're fine. That chin spoiler pretty much retains the stock height anyhow.
Old 11-01-2010, 06:30 PM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Misbehavin
That would be great, except for the fact that he specifically said he only wanted to change the springs, nothing else.
What I got out of Post #1 was that shocks and struts are not completely out of the question, just an "I'd rather not". Thing is, when it does come time to replace the struts (and the HD strut mounts if you want to more properly let your camber be reset to spec), you end up doing exactly the same job as you do when you replaced only the springs. Seems a waste if you have to pay to get the same job done twice, without gaining any more the second time than if you'd done it all the first time.

Shocks you can do easily enough regardless of what you do (or don't do) with the rear springs. A "pitchy" ride that tosses your head front to back will tell you it's past the time to do the shocks.

When you lower the car, the alignment settings shift a bit, so that's another job you get to choose whether you're going to do once or twice. And by what method. As far as I'm concerned, the use of crash bolts on this particular chassis to bring camber back within spec is something you do only when you've run out of options and aren't going to drive the car very hard. Some people call these things camber bolts.

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 11-01-2010 at 06:36 PM.
Old 11-01-2010, 08:22 PM
Cal26Stang
5th Gear Member

get sportlines, they are the most legit of all, check my pics

Quick Reply: lowering the stang questions