Notices
2005-2009 S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2005-2009 S197's

Follow along as I destroy my car (bumper repaint)

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2011, 09:37 PM
Tanner05
Chop Mod

Default Follow along as I destroy my car (bumper repaint)

Finally started on the project of repainting my back bumper. I'm going to do step by step instructions on doing this. If it comes out looking terrible hopefully it will convince someone else not to do it. However if it comes out good it will be a good guide for someone else.

P.S. this is the scariest thing I have ever done to my car. I feel like throwing up just looking at the pictures. Lol

Start:
Remove all dirt and debris including wax from paint. We used a little bit of gas on a rag.

You can't tell from the picture, but the paint had spider webbed for quite a way from the impact.

Began wet sanding with 400 and 220:

The spider webs went past the primer, so we had to take it down to plastic on most of the damaged area. Very slow process.

This pictures shows that my bumper had been painted by a shop before that did a half *** job. They did not go to the plastic, they primered over the factory coat and painted another layer over that. The red in the circle is factor. The paint around the circle is the respray.

Done for today

Going to Bondo a few shallow cracks, primer, adhesion promoter, paint and clear coat next weekend. I will be sure to keep this updated.
Old 04-02-2011, 09:49 PM
D'prived
4th Gear Member

WOW... that takes some kuhones. Please keep us posted with updates.
Old 04-02-2011, 09:55 PM
Tanner05
Chop Mod

Originally Posted by D'prived
WOW... that takes some kuhones. Please keep us posted with updates.
Ha I know I feel a little sick. But I'm starting a small summer business detailing cars, so within a few months I should have enough for a GT500 rear bumper and duals. So even if this does come out bad I won't have it long... hopefully.

If anyone has any advice or tips I would be glad to hear it.
Old 04-02-2011, 10:10 PM
CountryGuy204
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Tanner05
Ha I know I feel a little sick. But I'm starting a small summer business detailing cars, so within a few months I should have enough for a GT500 rear bumper and duals. So even if this does come out bad I won't have it long... hopefully.

If anyone has any advice or tips I would be glad to hear it.
My advice is to pray...a lot! But good luck, I have some stops on my car that I would like to fill in a paint but I'm to chicken to do so. +1 for doing it yourself.
Old 04-02-2011, 10:32 PM
bakerjd
5th Gear Member

I am impressed! Good luck with it and Keep us updated! Weekends projects are the best! Makes me wish I didn't have student loans to pay so that I could mod every weekend! haha
Old 04-02-2011, 10:41 PM
aaquib1992
4th Gear Member

Dang tanner, you officially have more ballz than me lol!

I can't really offer much advice except when I was young I used to paint model cars and primer was ALWAYS one of the most important steps. That and some even clear coat.

If you mess up, you can just wet sand the messed up spot and use some rubbing compound to get it even I guess, but looks like you got everything down tight!

Last edited by aaquib1992; 04-02-2011 at 10:44 PM.
Old 04-03-2011, 11:54 AM
Tanner05
Chop Mod

Lol thanks guys. This could possibly be a mistake bit I was so tired of looking at that nasty damaged spot. At least when its painted it wont be as noticeable.
Old 04-03-2011, 04:21 PM
stormshadowlover

I'm real Intrested in this! Keep us up to date! Hopping yours turns out! My front bumper needs total repair, but I'm terrified on doing it! Good luck!
Old 04-04-2011, 12:49 AM
X3xMONGOOSEx3X
4th Gear Member

I say good luck to you Tanner. I simply don't think I have it in me to do what you are attempting.
Old 04-04-2011, 08:33 AM
allinon72
2nd Gear Member

You're off to a good start, but don't try to use regular Bondo on plastic, it will crack. Use fiberglass filler at least....there are also fillers available for plastic bumper covers like this.

Quick Reply: Follow along as I destroy my car (bumper repaint)