Notices
2005-2009 S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2005-2009 S197's

Wax questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2011, 09:24 PM
Hotwheelracer
3rd Gear Member

Default Wax questions

I just waxed my car today with Meguire's Carnuba. I was wondering how often I need to wax it. I live in Vegas, so it does not see much rain, but obviously it is very hot. Car is garaged at night. This is my daily driver, not a show car. I just want to keep the paint looking good.

Also, I just ordered pre-painted quarter window louvers. Next time I wax the car would these get waxed as well. Thanks for the help.
Old 05-19-2011, 07:42 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

I also garage my Stang but she's not my DD. I usually clay once/year and wax twice/year.

Depending on when the louvers were painted, I'd assume worst case that they were painted just before you received them and give it at least one month for the paint to cure before hitting with wax. I believe 1 month is the rule-of-thumb for fresh paint.
Old 05-19-2011, 08:45 AM
05xrunner
4th Gear Member

What Megs was it..gold class, NXT? all waxes have different lengths on how long they will last.
Old 05-19-2011, 11:24 AM
Hotwheelracer
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 05xrunner
What Megs was it..gold class, NXT? all waxes have different lengths on how long they will last.
It is Meguiars Deep Crystal System Carnauba Wax #A2216.
Old 05-19-2011, 11:27 AM
Hotwheelracer
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nuke
I also garage my Stang but she's not my DD. I usually clay once/year and wax twice/year.

Depending on when the louvers were painted, I'd assume worst case that they were painted just before you received them and give it at least one month for the paint to cure before hitting with wax. I believe 1 month is the rule-of-thumb for fresh paint.
How time consuming/difficult is using the clay bar? I've never used one before. The results must be worth it, I've seen many people on the forum here talk about it.
Old 05-19-2011, 02:47 PM
highline
4th Gear Member

it's average time consuming...2 hours-ish (just for the clay, obviously not including wash, re-wash, ect)...Worth it? H*ll yea, especially for a DD...You will be amazed...It's about as hard as painting a fence or waxing a car 1.5times
Old 05-19-2011, 08:49 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Since mine isn't a DD and not subject to a lot of road grime and tree sap, I use a liquid clay which takes about the same amount of time as a good, thorough hand wash. But clay bars ARE more effective. It's amazing the amount of surface crud that you'll remove.
Old 05-19-2011, 10:22 PM
Alec
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Hotwheelracer
How time consuming/difficult is using the clay bar? I've never used one before. The results must be worth it, I've seen many people on the forum here talk about it.
It's not difficult at all. Just a little time consuming, but it's well worth it, especially for a DD car.
Old 05-20-2011, 12:11 AM
Art161
4th Gear Member

I like the Griot's Garage clay bar--effective and easy to use. I tried a consumer grade Meguiar's clay bar, and the clay had a tendency to stick to the surface, even with plenty of spray detailer applied. Meguiar's also makes some professional grade clay bars. I can't say how they work, because I never used them.
Old 05-20-2011, 08:25 AM
highline
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nuke
Since mine isn't a DD and not subject to a lot of road grime and tree sap, I use a liquid clay which takes about the same amount of time as a good, thorough hand wash. But clay bars ARE more effective. It's amazing the amount of surface crud that you'll remove.
mines not a dd either...what is this liquid bar you speak of?

Quick Reply: Wax questions