Notices
2005-2009 S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2005-2009 S197's

Help in picking wheels.

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2011, 01:17 AM
lunyou
2nd Gear Member

Default Help in picking wheels.

Need help picking wheels, for the future build.

Going to be taking the car from:

To a modern spin on this:

A GT front bumper, foglights, and roush style 1/4 louvers are already purchased. The hood, spoiler, and side stripe paint is in the near by plans in a flat black by some pros in the paint industry. A CDC chin spoiler, and GT rear bumper, rear window louver, hood scoop, black billet pony delete grill and rear truck lid black out panel are in the future as well. We will likely upgrade the headlights by either smoking the OEM lights or installing some ccfl projectors.

So which wheels would complete the look. I'm thinking staggered magnum 500s(18s) would complete the classic look. The wife likes the bullitt style wheels which is still classic but over done IMHO. But we are definitely open to all suggestions.
Old 06-13-2011, 02:30 AM
X3xMONGOOSEx3X
4th Gear Member

If you can find them.
http://www.americanmuscle.com/black-...eels-0511.html
Old 06-13-2011, 06:33 AM
05 Mustang
6th Gear Member

+1^^

those at american muscle will help with the look you're looking for
Old 06-13-2011, 06:51 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

IMO, I'd stick with 17's or smaller if you don't have big brakes. The extra sidewall is what really sets off the retro look. Problem there is finding decent widths. But I'd certainly try to stick with sidewall as tall as the OE 55 series or taller. Even better if you can find RWL tires.
Old 06-13-2011, 07:09 AM
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by X3xMONGOOSEx3X
+1, I think that would be his best option to achieve that look!
Old 06-13-2011, 09:46 AM
Alec
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nuke
IMO, I'd stick with 17's or smaller if you don't have big brakes. The extra sidewall is what really sets off the retro look. Problem there is finding decent widths. But I'd certainly try to stick with sidewall as tall as the OE 55 series or taller. Even better if you can find RWL tires.
I agree
Old 06-13-2011, 12:35 PM
lunyou
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nuke
I agree with you there. The only issue is that a quick search for the 500's come up with a 17x8 500 that is $380 apiece. The 18's at American Muscle are $144, and the same wheels are cruizin concepts are $122.
Old 06-13-2011, 12:37 PM
lunyou
2nd Gear Member

The wife really wants black wheels. The 500's have too much steel showing I guess. Any other black wheels that might give a modern twist on a classic look?
Old 06-13-2011, 04:24 PM
Mayberry40
2nd Gear Member

Americanmuscle probably has the best deal.....................make sure you order the correct wheels from them. I was given a set of tires and wheels as a gift from someone who got them there. I talked to a VERY unpleasant manager there in my attempt to get a different size and got a VERY unpleasant manager who said I could not exchange the wheels which were still in the box! I still have the 20"s tryin to sell. I'm not happy with Americanmuscle!
Old 06-13-2011, 06:29 PM
Torch_Vert
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mayberry40
Americanmuscle probably has the best deal.....................make sure you order the correct wheels from them. I was given a set of tires and wheels as a gift from someone who got them there. I talked to a VERY unpleasant manager there in my attempt to get a different size and got a VERY unpleasant manager who said I could not exchange the wheels which were still in the box! I still have the 20"s tryin to sell. I'm not happy with Americanmuscle!
Right from their website:

Non-Returnable Products

Returns will not be accepted for any of the following items: Chips and Tuners, DiabloSport and SCT products, Wheel/Tire Packages, Opened Clutches (removed from original packaging), Opened Exhaust products (removed from original packaging), Hoods, Body Kits, Shaker Kits, any custom-order or made-to-order items, non-defective items that have been used, painted or installed on a vehicle.

Quick Reply: Help in picking wheels.