Notices
2005-2009 S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2005-2009 S197's

Educate me on chrome wheels !

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2011, 05:47 AM
Mayberry40
2nd Gear Member

Default Educate me on chrome wheels !

While looking for new chrome bullitt style rims for my 08 GT/CS I found quite a difference in price. The websites don't explain the price difference so I assume the difference is in how the wheels are made.
Can anyone let me know where to look for quality chrome wheels?
I really like the chrome bullitt wheels on http://wheelsnext.com #V1119.
Thanx for any info
Old 08-03-2011, 08:10 AM
Vulcan420
1st Gear Member

You did not specify if you are comparing prices across brands or not. Higher prices are determined by 1. style, 2. size, 3. brand, 4. dealer markup - and not necessarily in that order of course. Remember to consider total cost to you including shipping, mounting, etc. and perhaps most importantly, how they will react if you have an issue after receipt of them.

Also keep in mind that if you order wheels with tires already mounted (and I think if you change wheel sizes) then you also have to fork over more $$$$$ for the pressure sensors as well.

I have heard that some places sell B grade wheels meaning they have some minor blemish but I don't know if that's really true or not. Maybe someone else can speak to that.

I have always bought mine in person so I can examine them right off after they've been mounted and refuse them if necessary. I haven't any experience with them but a quick search reveals that company you mention has very mixed reviews. Maybe you would be better off to order from a source that has a known good rep like American Muscle or Tire Rack rather than take chances to save a few bucks on a what is a major purchase that you will not want to repeat any time soon.

In my personal experience, I have found that while chrome wheels really pop in the right lighting, on a daily driver I actually prefer otherwise due to my aversion to constant cleaning to keep them that way. Hope this helps.
Old 08-03-2011, 11:17 AM
usc49erfan
2nd Gear Member

as said above unless you have a lot of time to keep them clean or you don't drive that much chrome can be difficult to shine, but depending on your personal preference chrome can add a nice look. rather than the site you listed I would go thru AM, the price is cheaper and their customer service is outstanding, not to mention they are a sponsor on this site and if you use the bill me later consider it like having six months to pay for these rather than all at once, just make sure as always to pay off before the end of the six months. that is the way I buy everything from AM.

Here is the link for the wheels with various sizes, etc.
http://www.americanmuscle.com/chrome....html#shop-by2
Old 08-03-2011, 12:04 PM
Marky82
2nd Gear Member

I bought my chrome Saleen rims from American Muscle and I couldn't be happier. Be warned though... even though chrome looks great it adds a lot of weight to the rim and it will hurt your gas mileage. They're also very high maintenance if you want to keep them looking good. I wash my car twice a week anyway so it isn't a problem for me but I'm a fanatic about it and not the norm.

Good luck with your purchase.

Old 08-03-2011, 03:40 PM
Mayberry40
2nd Gear Member

Im looking for a good quality chrome bullitt. 18". I wonder if the chrome finish on the AM wheels are the same quality as any other more expensive wheel. Im not looking for a chrome wheel that will need replacing in 4 years!
I guess Im looking for a specific brand or a certain chroming process to look for when I shop for chrome wheels.
Old 08-03-2011, 05:15 PM
usc49erfan
2nd Gear Member

it's going to be the same quality chrome. one of the newest ideas in keeping chrome quality has been the use of nitrogen instead of air, have not personally tried it but that is just what I heard. as stated previously, the main difference in price comes from markup, as well as brand. here is an example, a roush 9 bar grille AM price $350, Roush store price $330, Stage 3 price $300. Everyone is selling the same grille just at different prices. my main point is don't buy something just because it is more expensive thinking the quality is better, the same product is the same product.
Old 08-06-2011, 10:40 PM
07 Stang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by usc49erfan
it's going to be the same quality chrome. one of the newest ideas in keeping chrome quality has been the use of nitrogen instead of air, have not personally tried it but that is just what I heard. as stated previously, the main difference in price comes from markup, as well as brand. here is an example, a roush 9 bar grille AM price $350, Roush store price $330, Stage 3 price $300. Everyone is selling the same grille just at different prices. my main point is don't buy something just because it is more expensive thinking the quality is better, the same product is the same product.
How does Nitrogen in a tire instead of air affect the chrome? I use Nitrogen in my conversion van.
Old 08-06-2011, 10:44 PM
07 Stang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Marky82
I bought my chrome Saleen rims from American Muscle and I couldn't be happier. Be warned though... even though chrome looks great it adds a lot of weight to the rim and it will hurt your gas mileage. They're also very high maintenance if you want to keep them looking good. I wash my car twice a week anyway so it isn't a problem for me but I'm a fanatic about it and not the norm.

Good luck with your purchase.

I agree that Chrome is high maintenance but a well kept set of chrome rims are really nice eye candy. I had Chrome spoke rims on my first car. Another consideration would be to find a good set of polished aluminum Bullets. They will be more expensive, but a little less work at keeping them shiny.
Old 08-07-2011, 12:28 AM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

Mayberry, your car is white correct? If so I would go with black wheels........................ but chrome does look good just a whole lotta cleaning.
Old 08-07-2011, 05:58 AM
ab
2nd Gear Member

I've had chrome wheels in the past and never had a problem. Keep a good coat of wax on them and they are very easy to keep shiny.

Quick Reply: Educate me on chrome wheels !