Notices
2005-2009 S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2005-2009 S197's

Your opinion on my next mod is needed

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2011, 08:57 PM
mayo
4th Gear Member

Without question...drop that ******!
Imagine pic 3 in your album with the fronts kicked in, and another 1.5" of drop...nasty hot!!!
Old 09-09-2011, 10:08 PM
MadStang40
4th Gear Member

Tanner, to answer your question: visibility is not so great. It's bad enough that I have the cowl in front, but that tinting did a number on my headlight brightness. I hit a dead raccoon on the highway just getting up to speed (70mph) and I had no idea it was laying there until I was right up on it and I was too late.

The reason why I want the entire rear is because I do plan to go F/I (between vortech and the X) down the road to hold me over until the '14s come out. The problem is that I've been checking newtakeoff, craigslist and ebay on the regular for the part few months, and I haven't found anything below $1150... Any help anyone could provide would be great.

That fender gap has been bothering the hell out of me. I just imagine the new front end just that much closer to the ground and I get a tad excited. However, how funky will it look as I'm sitting on 255's all around?

Help me out here, please. I feel like this ---->
Old 09-10-2011, 08:56 AM
mayo
4th Gear Member

There is two kinds of "excited" when it comes to a drop. Excited, like damn this thing looks good...which it should with the 255's (photoshop guy needed). And excited, like damn I hope my front end doesn't get tore off pulling out of here
Unforchanately both are par for the course with a drop and the later of the two is the reason why I don't do it myself, as the roads in WV are less than spectacular. With that new front, you gotta do it though mad...it too just goes with the territory. Personally I wouldn't go over 1.5" of drop if it was a dd...

my
Old 09-10-2011, 09:03 AM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

Originally Posted by MadStang40

That fender gap has been bothering the hell out of me. I just imagine the new front end just that much closer to the ground and I get a tad excited. However, how funky will it look as I'm sitting on 255's all around?

Help me out here, please. I feel like this ---->
Life is full of compromises...
When you lower your car, you'll have to fear parking stops and road hazards.
This applies to any cars but just think if you were to get a new Vette for example...
That car is lower from the factory than a dropped Stang so you just need to adjust your driving habits accordingly.
And aren't you glad you didn't go with a 4" cowl?

As far as your wheel set up, doesn't matter what kind you're running, lowering your car can't make it look worse IMO.
Old 09-10-2011, 09:06 AM
MadStang40
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by mayo
There is two kinds of "excited" when it comes to a drop. Excited, like damn this thing looks good...which it should with the 255's (photoshop guy needed). And excited, like damn I hope my front end doesn't get tore off pulling out of here
Unforchanately both are par for the course with a drop and the later of the two is the reason why I don't do it myself, as the roads in WV are less than spectacular. With that new front, you gotta do it though mad...it too just goes with the territory. Personally I wouldn't go over 1.5" of drop if it was a dd...

my
Excited as in the first choice haha. Roads in Florida are remarkably flat and we don't have to worry about road salt. If/when I lower the car, the only thing I'm afraid of is road debri, which goes without saying, can be anywhere and especially hard to see at night.
Old 09-10-2011, 09:22 AM
MadStang40
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by pascal
Life is full of compromises...
When you lower your car, you'll have to fear parking stops and road hazards.
This applies to any cars but just think if you were to get a new Vette for example...
That car is lower from the factory than a dropped Stang so you just need to adjust your driving habits accordingly.
And aren't you glad you didn't go with a 4" cowl?

As far as your wheel set up, doesn't matter what kind you're running, lowering your car can't make it look worse IMO.
I'm already backing into every parking spot for fear of messing up my nice new front end. I'm now so worried about being able to change my driving habits, I baby it now whenever I pull into the driveway or go past speedbumps

Yes, I'm very happy I didn't go with the 4" haha

Ok so next question: say I go with the Eibach pro kit. Which shocks/struts should I pair with them? I'm eyeing the Tokico HP series as I don't think I'll need the adjustable D spec.
Old 09-11-2011, 09:41 AM
drfister
3rd Gear Member

Ya, you gotta drop that thing for sure bro. And when you do, you'll be kicking yourself for not doing it sooner; you can be sure of that. Pro-kits a solid choice, thats what I run with the d-specs (daily driver). Couldnt be happier. I hardly ever adjust them but I like the option of being able to do so. There are many arguably better/ less expensive shocks/struts, but I've had zero problems with my set up. Check the handling section, theres like, an over abundance of suggestions for spring/ shock set-ups.
Old 09-11-2011, 11:04 AM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

Originally Posted by MadStang40

Ok so next question: say I go with the Eibach pro kit. Which shocks/struts should I pair with them? I'm eyeing the Tokico HP series as I don't think I'll need the adjustable D spec.
See if the Koni (yellow) are in the ball park price wise with the Tokico...
I'd go with those to mate with your Eiback or the FRPP M-5300-K springs.
Old 09-11-2011, 11:10 AM
Alec
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by pascal
See if the Koni (yellow) are in the ball park price wise with the Tokico...
I'd go with those to mate with your Eiback or the FRPP M-5300-K springs.
Yellows are like $200 more last time checked. And they're hard to find due to backorders and limited availability. It's unfortunate because apparently they're a great product
Old 09-11-2011, 11:14 AM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

Yeah, I remember Strano struggling to get those in stock but eventually, the factory was able to spit them out.
Don't know how it stands as of today though.

To save money, maybe Konis up front and the cheaper kind out back?
It's been done before successfully...

Quick Reply: Your opinion on my next mod is needed