Notices
2005-2009 S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2005-2009 S197's

Vinyl Stripe Qs

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2011, 02:55 PM
stags
3rd Gear Member

Default Vinyl Stripe Qs

hey gents-

Ive decided that I want to get a Matte Black supersnake stripe on my candy apple red pony... A few questions

1. How much can I expect to pay for professional installation?
2. Will they put a vinyl stripe over a clearbra? Or will they want to pull the clearbra off and reapply it? How much would that cost?
Old 10-23-2011, 04:06 PM
07 Stang
6th Gear Member

stags, honestly, if you truly want stripes that will last a long time, I would advise having them painted on. Problem with Vinyl is over time as the sun bakes your car, it causes the Vinyl to crack and peel. Now if you keep your car regularly in the garage or covered, Vinyl will last a lot longer.
Also you have to be very careful when waxing/buffing your car especially with a buffer. You don't want to nick the edges. Painted on stripes you wouldn't have to worry about it.
Old 10-23-2011, 07:10 PM
stags
3rd Gear Member

I am aware of this.

Painting em is really not an option, too much $ . And if I had that kind of cash Id prolly just get supercharged instead.

My car is garaged constantly, the only time shes out in the weather is when Im at work or out and about

I dont use a power buffer, so thats a nonissue.

I dont know if its even possible to paint matte black stripes bc of the clearcoat.
Old 10-23-2011, 07:11 PM
stags
3rd Gear Member

I guess what im getting at is that im ok with getting vinyl now and maybe painting them on in a few years when im not in college
Old 10-27-2011, 09:05 PM
4point6GT

Default Vinyl Facts

Hi Stang - I am a new member here and the owner of a vinyl graphics shop.
I may be able to offer you some advice that will help with your choice and save you from some regrets.

First I want to say that Stang 07 is spot on about vinyl cracking from sitting in the sun. The other reason for this is due to using the wrong vinyl for the application. Most shops use whats called "calendered vinyl". This type of vinyl shrinks, fades and cracks when left in the direct sun and it's life expectancy is 2 - 3 years.

When shopping for your stripes make the shop you choose uses a premium brand vinyl like 3M or ORCAL. They vinyl type you need to use is called "Cast Vinyl". This type of vinyl was developed for outdoor applications and resists
shrinking, cracking or fading for 7 to 10 in direct sunlight. If you garage your car it could last you a lifetime.

The cost difference as far as the two types is within $20 - $30 for a 100ft roll. So it's minimal cost when it comes down to the < 20 feet used to make Mustang stripes. The installation cost will be all over the map so shop around and look closely at their work as well to make sure you get a professional install. I would expect $250 - $300 to be reasonable.

Hope this helps and be sure to post some pics when you get'er done !
Old 10-27-2011, 09:53 PM
AmericanICON
3rd Gear Member

I did 3 different stripe packages on my previous '05 Mustang. I ordered all 3 from baltimorestreetmods.com
Because the kits were pre-cut, installation was simplified. If you work slow, and take alot of time to work out the bubbles, you'll be proud of your work.

If you're putting the super stripe over the hood, roof and top of the decklid, I think it's a simple "self-install". If you're going to wrap around the bumpers, it's difficult. Even with the pre-cut shelby-stripe kit from baltimorestreetmods, the bumpers took me 5 hours. The roof, hood and decklid took me 4 hours. I worked at it for 9 hours over 2 days. If you are patient, you can do it. Good luck.
Old 10-28-2011, 07:14 AM
stags
3rd Gear Member

The valuable lesson ive learned thus far is that Im good at doing research, planning mods, and turning wrenches. Body applications are beyond me. Before I left for this semester, I had a nasty scratch on the pillar behind the passenger side window. Tried to get it out myself and wound up just making it look worse. I sanded the paint down to the primer. When I finally took it to a body pro to get it out, the low bid was 700 with the high bid way over 1k. Fortunately for me, the "Powered by FORD" icon from AM covers the scratch very nicely and looks OEM.

But, the moral of that story. I would just as soon pay a professional to do it because theyll do it right, where I would probably just mess it up :/

Thx for the info 4.6, Ill make sure whoever does it has a good rep and uses 3M... Ill ask the 2 custom mustang shops in my area and my friend at a dealer who theyd recommend.

Will they want to take off and reapply the clear bra? how much do you think that will run? (Thats really not an option in CO, gravel is overused on the roads in the winter so if I didnt my frontend would be a mess after a year)
Old 10-28-2011, 07:16 AM
stags
3rd Gear Member

Also, I have the Cervinis type 4 hood, which although I know BSM has a great rep, they dont make hood kits for. And The BSM website even indicates that the SS stripe is one they reccomend be installed professionally
Old 10-28-2011, 08:10 AM
4point6GT

Stang - your question about removing the clear bra - I would not recommended laying the stripe over the clear only due to the way it may look. Removing the bra will be an additional cost of course. I don't have experience laying a clear bra over vinyl, that is something I would need to look into as well. My concern would be that the adhesive on the bra may attack the vinyl stripe.

On your Cerninis hood question - this i a perfect example where premium vinyl is necessary. It is forgiving when working with radical contours and maintains it's shape when fitted. I doubt if you will find too many stripe options available for that hood which still points you in the direction of visiting a vinyl shop. I know you mentioned a few graphic shops but don’t rule out sign shops as well. These guys work with the same material and weird shaped applications and you may get a better price. In addition a good designer may be able to create the stripe you want and avoid getting into the clear bra so you have the best of both worlds.

I keep mentioning premium cast vinyl and wanted to add this reference note.

3M 7125 and ORCAL 751 are the best in the business. These model numbers are printed on the removable backing of the vinyl. Stay away from ORCAL 651 as it is calendared and not recommended for a very long life out door application. Not as friendly to install either.
Old 10-28-2011, 08:46 AM
stags
3rd Gear Member

What do you mean that you would be concerned about the look of the stripe over the bra? The only place I can really tell the clear bra is even there is the seam where it ends. Other than that it looks untouched, no difference

Quick Reply: Vinyl Stripe Qs