Notices
2005-2009 S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2005-2009 S197's

GT500 Conversion Question

Old 11-14-2011, 04:03 PM
Torch_Vert
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 07 Torch
Hmm so it sounds like I would be better off just buying the grille already pre-cut for the bezels.
Unless you own a pretty sophisticated woodworking shop or machine shop, almost definitely.
Old 11-14-2011, 06:29 PM
07 Torch

Ok so definitely go with the pre-cut, where did you get your hood? I see a lot of sites that advertise that they have it or one that resembles a super snake hood but I'm not sure where to get the best deal with an authentic hood that is not some piece of junk.
Old 11-14-2011, 07:04 PM
Torch_Vert
5th Gear Member

Ok so definitely go with the pre-cut, where did you get your hood? I see a lot of sites that advertise that they have it or one that resembles a super snake hood but I'm not sure where to get the best deal with an authentic hood that is not some piece of junk.
I ordered mine through Hillbank Motorsports. They're an authorized Shelby parts dealer, and it was slightly cheaper through them rather than a direct order with Shelby (like $50 if I recall)
Old 11-15-2011, 04:01 PM
07 Torch

Ok I just checked it out and it looks like its the same super snake hood I was looking at from shelbystore.com so I guess ill just compare the prices and go with whichever one is cheaper. Did you have any problems fitting it?
Old 11-15-2011, 04:38 PM
Torch_Vert
5th Gear Member

Ok I just checked it out and it looks like its the same super snake hood I was looking at from shelbystore.com so I guess ill just compare the prices and go with whichever one is cheaper. Did you have any problems fitting it?
None at all. Fit was perfect right out of the box.

The only real issue was figuring out a clean way to mount the metal grilles. Shelby provides them with a set of regular nuts and bolts but the only way to use that would be to drill right through the top of the hood and have exposed bolt heads (I have seen a couple actual Super Snakes,mod shop built ones I believe, done just that way, looks like a$$). The other option almost as bad imho) is a lot of shops just glue the grilles in with automotive panel adhesive. Better than ugly screws, but it would make removing the grilles if they ever need a paint refresh near impossible.

I hunted and hunted and came up with these: Click Bond Studs designed for aircraft builders

http://www.theflightshop.com/Cataspx15.html

The CB4000 on that site (a stainless threaded stud with the base encased in fibreglass) is PERFECT for mounting the grilles. Each stud even comes with a little jig that clamps it until the adhesive dries. Once that's done, you just dremel off one bit of the circular base that overhangs the grille opening a hair, and you have perfectly mounted grilles with super strong attachments, removable if needed and no unsightly screws showing on the top of the hood.

Last edited by Torch_Vert; 11-15-2011 at 04:48 PM.
Old 11-18-2011, 01:34 AM
ZoomyX
1st Gear Member

I bought my hood from shelby store, it fit perfect out of the box. I installed my heat extractors with automotive grade double sided tape.
Old 11-18-2011, 06:11 PM
09cs
5th Gear Member

07 Torch I sent you a PM, don't know if you got it.
Old 11-22-2011, 03:43 PM
07 Torch

Ok so it looks like I have to decide on double sided tape or those bond studs, (By the way thanks for the link and detailed info, very helpful) and yeah shelby store was the other place I was looking at. Between Hillbank and shelby store its the same price so now I just have to put in the bezels, the grille and the heat extractors and see what the best price is. Gotta say im excited to start. 09CS talked to you, love the mustang.
Old 11-22-2011, 05:19 PM
Torch_Vert
5th Gear Member

Ok so it looks like I have to decide on double sided tape or those bond studs, (By the way thanks for the link and detailed info, very helpful) and yeah shelby store was the other place I was looking at. Between Hillbank and shelby store its the same price so now I just have to put in the bezels, the grille and the heat extractors and see what the best price is. Gotta say im excited to start. 09CS talked to you, love the mustang.
I tried the 3M tape. Didn't hold up too well to the underhood heat, and the grille/hood opening mating surface wasn't perfectly flat (the hood curves a little, the grille surface doesn't. Much prefer the studs in my case.
Old 11-22-2011, 05:21 PM
Torch_Vert
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 09cs
07 Torch I sent you a PM, don't know if you got it.
Doesn't look like I did. The most recent PM I have was on 11/9 from someone else.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: GT500 Conversion Question