Notices
2005-2009 S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2005-2009 S197's

HID Question

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2011, 12:31 AM
blumax2007

Default HID Question

OK I need help to educate me on the HID Headlights/Conversion Kits.

I have already bought/installed the HID kit from American Muscle for the headlights and fog lights, the factory buckets just scatter the light not focusing the light. From what I know the HID lights on the 2008+ Mustang has it's own bucket to focus the HID light down the road. I have both the headlights/foglights tinted that's why I wanted/need the HID kit so I can see at night.

Are projector headlight buckets HID compatable?? From what I have found on the internet Steeda is the only company that sells the 2008+ OEM HID buckets but they want $900+ for the kit...and that's just crazy!!

SO does anyone have any good imputs to help me learn what the difference is between projuector lights and HID lights, or where to find OEM HID Buckets??
Old 11-27-2011, 01:36 AM
Rylay
3rd Gear Member

In my honest opinion, headlights and fog are only things on my can that I officially haven't tinted and won't tint. Mostly because i don't want to deal with what you're going thru.

that being said, HID's don't come cheap, and i would shell out if i were to convert. I bought the anti-HID conversion kit for my navigator and sold the bulbs because they're so expensive.

try to find someone selling their take-offs on ebay
Old 11-28-2011, 12:37 PM
flash_xx
3rd Gear Member

I'm guessing you got 6000K or higher HID's, that's probably where the problem lies, not with the buckets. The higher the K rating the lower the light output. Blue light also seems brighter because the pupils don't contract when subjected to it, that's why it blinds people. But it also scatters the most in air, that's why the sky is blue. The greatest light output in HID's is in the 4300 to 5000K range, anything over that and you are losing light output.

I have the 4300K Kit from Retro-Solutions and the light output is fantastic. It lights up the road like daylight and doesn't blind people as long as I don't use the high beams.

I converted both headlights and fogs.

Look at the cutoff and brightness of my headlights.

Last edited by flash_xx; 11-28-2011 at 12:40 PM. Reason: photo added
Old 11-28-2011, 04:39 PM
slickman
5th Gear Member

I have HID lights on my GT from the factory. I converted the fogs over to 5k HID's and they are great!
Old 11-28-2011, 04:57 PM
SON OF 68
2nd Gear Member

I also have 5000K from Retro Solutions. I had them capped as well which seems better than bulbs I had in a different car. It should be done with HID bulbs that don't have them. Look at Slickmans factory HIDs. You'll notice it has basically covers that hide the tip of the bulb. It lets it use the Candle/Mirror effect of the lens. Sometimes, with no cover over the tip of the bulb, it will shine though that tip and project strange light patterns. That might be your issue. That's also why stock bulbs have that coating over the tip of the bulb.
Old 11-29-2011, 09:07 AM
blumax2007

I like the idea of the lower rating bulbs I have 8K in them now came with the kit. But Don't forget I have the added factor of tinted lights from American Muscle, and I think the tint is scattering the light as well. I just helped a friend convert some projector lights to HID and they worked great, so If I end up getting another set of buckets I think I"ll buy the projectors and just put my HD into them....more later thanks guys!!
Old 11-30-2011, 10:24 PM
eddypython
3rd Gear Member

At least you are not having the issue I am. My passanger side HID bulb gets stuck in high beam when I flash them, and won't go back to low beam unless I physically tap the headlight with my palm. Frustrating as hell
Old 12-01-2011, 05:14 AM
blumax2007

sounds like you need a trunk monkey to fix your low beam while you drive...
Old 12-01-2011, 10:17 AM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

They make OEM buckets that are cheaper.
Dont know if they fit a H series aftermarket HID bulb though...
Old 12-01-2011, 10:31 AM
Ford-a-tude
2nd Gear Member

I have the 55 watt HIDs from Retro Solutions as well. I went with the 4300k temperature and they are perfect. The light color is brilliant white with no hint of yellow or blue. I have been thinking about swapping the housings out for the OEM HID to get the proper light pattern, but I think the ballasts are built into the OEM housings. Can anyone confirm this for me? I already have the bulbs and ballasts.

Quick Reply: HID Question