Notices
2005-2009 S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2005-2009 S197's

Appearance mods for this spring

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2012, 11:06 AM
tjr1973
1st Gear Member

Default Appearance mods for this spring

Might be getting a little ahead of myself since it's only February in Montana but I'm already eager to start.

First thing is a set of California Special quarter scoops with a set of Shelby GT500 SuperSnake quarter window scoops. When installing these, would you guys put new 3M tape on just to be sure of proper adhesion? Where exactly do you put the adhesion promoter since it says not to put it on the paint?

Next thing I am planning on is finally getting to my suspension. I am getting ready to order Steeda Ultra Lite springs as I believe they will give me the stance I want as well as maintaining a stock ride. With these will be steeda heavy duty camber plates, Tokico D spec shocks and struts and an adjustable panhard bar. Any advice from people that have lowered there car would be appreciated. I read an a post that these springs are some of the best due to being a linear spring instead of a progressive as far as maintaining that smoother ride....
Old 02-01-2012, 07:57 PM
MadStang40
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by tjr1973
Might be getting a little ahead of myself since it's only February in Montana but I'm already eager to start.

First thing is a set of California Special quarter scoops with a set of Shelby GT500 SuperSnake quarter window scoops. When installing these, would you guys put new 3M tape on just to be sure of proper adhesion? Where exactly do you put the adhesion promoter since it says not to put it on the paint?

Next thing I am planning on is finally getting to my suspension. I am getting ready to order Steeda Ultra Lite springs as I believe they will give me the stance I want as well as maintaining a stock ride. With these will be steeda heavy duty camber plates, Tokico D spec shocks and struts and an adjustable panhard bar. Any advice from people that have lowered there car would be appreciated. I read an a post that these springs are some of the best due to being a linear spring instead of a progressive as far as maintaining that smoother ride....
First off, I definitely approve of the GT/CS side scoops. Those things are sweet. I wouldn't mind a pair myself. Window scoops aren't my thing, but a few can definitely pull the look off.

I went with the Eibach pro kit springs and Tokico HP series dampers. Steeda makes some fine products, but a little out of the range I was willing to spend. The camber on mine was adjusted manually, no camber plates. So far after a few months, my tires are wearing pretty evenly (knock on wood).
Old 02-01-2012, 08:17 PM
bakerjd
5th Gear Member

My advice is to call Sam Strano (www.stranoparts.com) and talk to him about the springs. I was in the same boat you're in a little while back until I talked to Sam and he helped me out a bunch. Went with Steeda Sports instead and will be supplementing them with Koni yellow's and steeda HD strut mounts. Not sure about the panhard bar but I've heard they are recommended, haven't verified that though. Do yourself a favor and call Sam.

Oh, and use new Tape/adhesion promoter every time you reapply something. Do you really want to risk losing your louvers because you were to cheap to apply new tape that costs $2? I hope not.
Old 02-01-2012, 08:50 PM
MadStang40
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by bakerjd
My advice is to call Sam Strano (www.stranoparts.com) and talk to him about the springs. I was in the same boat you're in a little while back until I talked to Sam and he helped me out a bunch. Went with Steeda Sports instead and will be supplementing them with Koni yellow's and steeda HD strut mounts. Not sure about the panhard bar but I've heard they are recommended, haven't verified that though. Do yourself a favor and call Sam.

Oh, and use new Tape/adhesion promoter every time you reapply something. Do you really want to risk losing your louvers because you were to cheap to apply new tape that costs $2? I hope not.
^This times one million

I don't know about the side body scoops and adhesion promoter, but I know for a fact that you can put ahesion promoter on your quarter window glass where the tabs should come in contact with.
Old 02-01-2012, 08:59 PM
bakerjd
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by MadStang40
I don't know about the side body scoops and adhesion promoter, but I know for a fact that you can put ahesion promoter on your quarter window glass where the tabs should come in contact with.
According to Roush side skirts install (similiar product/install) adhesion promoter is required. Shouldn't hurt anything but I'm no expert.
Old 02-02-2012, 07:35 AM
tjr1973
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the replies. I always thought that the steeda sports were more for track use and lower than the ultralites. I will have to call Sam or Steeda direct. This car is NOT a daily driver and is not much more than a toy that is driven on weekends and sometimes road trips. Even so, I want it to ride nice and be fun to drive. It has 20" wheels on it now that are staggered so I'm not sure how low I can go. I really just want a mild drop that will even out the back with the front.