Notices
2005-2009 S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2005-2009 S197's

CS side scoops from AM

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2012, 11:39 PM
05screaminyellow
1st Gear Member

Default CS side scoops from AM

got my side scoops today was going to paint them and install today, I did a test fit right out of the box before prepping for paint and well ... not so good not real impressed to say the least

the fit would be 100% if they would have taken into consideration the thickness of the 2 sided tape the want to use to bond them to the body....

has anyone ever mount these with a different method?

they will look horrible with the 3m tape being able to be seen and the gap between the body and scoop due to the thickness of the tape
Old 08-23-2012, 11:54 PM
gothamems
3rd Gear Member

I have the Ford OEM side scoops and installation gives of the option of, drilling holes, 3M tape, or both....I installed them with the tape and I do not have any issues.
Old 08-24-2012, 09:35 AM
Rylay
3rd Gear Member

They aren't as noticeable as you think. Most scoops and louvers that you see on they road are on with 3m. (at least the modern stuff, anyway.)
Old 08-24-2012, 09:36 AM
Rylay
3rd Gear Member

Try taking a little grinder and carving out a small notch in the scoops for the tape to sit halfway in.
Old 08-24-2012, 09:47 AM
Doogie65
4th Gear Member

Since you are needing to paint them anyhow, why not just get a set of real CS scoops? Here is a used set for less than you paid for the ones from AM.

http://s197forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=89436
Old 08-24-2012, 01:11 PM
AMDanBailer
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by 05screaminyellow
got my side scoops today was going to paint them and install today, I did a test fit right out of the box before prepping for paint and well ... not so good not real impressed to say the least

the fit would be 100% if they would have taken into consideration the thickness of the 2 sided tape the want to use to bond them to the body....

has anyone ever mount these with a different method?

they will look horrible with the 3m tape being able to be seen and the gap between the body and scoop due to the thickness of the tape
05screaminyellow,

I'm sorry that your unhappy with the mounting tape. I'm going to suggest that we start to offer the side scoops with a thinner 3M. In the mean time you can shoot down to a local parts store and get a thinner tape. If you do this you can then email us a copy of the invoice and we can reimburse you for that!

Thanks for pointing this out for me, let me know if you have any questions. Our Mustang Experts are here Monday-Friday from 9AM-9PM EST and Saturdays from 9AM-5:30PM EST. If you want to hit them up, their number is 866.727.1266. I can also have one of them call you directly.

- Dan

Last edited by AMDanBailer; 08-27-2012 at 03:48 PM.
Old 08-24-2012, 03:08 PM
Lokota
2nd Gear Member

cant beat that
Old 08-24-2012, 08:19 PM
05screaminyellow
1st Gear Member

Dan

Already done, I stopped at napa today and picked up some thinner 3m

as for sending in a receipt to refund the tape cost don't be silly ... its not that expensive and I will use the rest of it on other projects

this was not a thread to bash or trash, I just wanted to point out the tape used is to thick and see if others have tried thinner tape or urethane etc... i still think you guys are great and a stand up business, and ill order more stuff when i figure out what i want next lol

I'm very happy to see you listen to the customer and take their feedback to better everyone, glad that you will recommend they use thinner tape you will have happier customers ..

Ill post pics when i get them on likely wed or thurs
Old 08-24-2012, 08:27 PM
BleedinBlue
5th Gear Member

Another happy ending. Props to AM once again, and good advice for others installing scoops.
Old 08-27-2012, 03:51 PM
AMDanBailer
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by 05screaminyellow
Dan

Already done, I stopped at napa today and picked up some thinner 3m

as for sending in a receipt to refund the tape cost don't be silly ... its not that expensive and I will use the rest of it on other projects

this was not a thread to bash or trash, I just wanted to point out the tape used is to thick and see if others have tried thinner tape or urethane etc... i still think you guys are great and a stand up business, and ill order more stuff when i figure out what i want next lol

I'm very happy to see you listen to the customer and take their feedback to better everyone, glad that you will recommend they use thinner tape you will have happier customers ..

Ill post pics when i get them on likely wed or thurs
05screaminyellow,

Okay sounds good! I'm glad to hear you got everything taken care of. We'll always do whatever we can to make sure our customers have great experiences with AmericanMuscle!

Since you went out of your way to get the thinner tape when you didn't have to, make sure you hit me up before you place your next order. I'll make sure your taken care of!

- Dan

Quick Reply: CS side scoops from AM