Notices
2005-2009 S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2005-2009 S197's

hood scoop and lower quarter panel scoops?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2013, 12:26 AM
TBooya06gt

Default hood scoop and lower quarter panel scoops?

I was about to purchase the california special hood scoop and lower quarter side panel scoops, when I saw two differences in both. I could buy the hood scoop and lower side panel scoops with just the 3m adhesive tape for lower prices OR I can but the hood scoop and lower side panel scoops with the 3m adhesive tape and they need to be bolted on. Does any body know the main differences in both besides the prices and the bolt on or non-bolt on factor? For example are the tape only scoops going to attach crappier than the bolt ons? A little help needed, thanks.
Old 01-24-2013, 08:20 AM
Tommyc
1st Gear Member

LOTS of people use the 3m tape ones. I had some trouble with my hood scoop because I put it over my stripes and ended up bolting it on.
Old 01-24-2013, 12:15 PM
PNYXPRESS
5th Gear Member

on my 08 I have the tape on side scoops and they have been on there for about 3yrs now with out an issue. My hood scoop was bolted on at the factory.

I bolted the scoop on my fox because it caught a lot of air and kept trying to come off.
Old 01-24-2013, 02:25 PM
TBooya06gt

Originally Posted by PNYXPRESS
on my 08 I have the tape on side scoops and they have been on there for about 3yrs now with out an issue. My hood scoop was bolted on at the factory.

I bolted the scoop on my fox because it caught a lot of air and kept trying to come off.
Ok cool. That's exactly what had me second guessing. I know the tape is really strong, but I didn't know for how long it would last. I'm just afraid ill be driving then boom oh there goes my hood scoop. Thanks for the reply
Old 01-24-2013, 02:28 PM
TBooya06gt

Originally Posted by Tommyc
LOTS of people use the 3m tape ones. I had some trouble with my hood scoop because I put it over my stripes and ended up bolting it on.
We're you having trouble with the hood scoop because the tape was having trouble sticking to the stripes? Or because you were afraid of messing up the stripes so you just bolted it on?
Old 01-24-2013, 02:37 PM
PNYXPRESS
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by TBooya06gt
Ok cool. That's exactly what had me second guessing. I know the tape is really strong, but I didn't know for how long it would last. I'm just afraid ill be driving then boom oh there goes my hood scoop. Thanks for the reply
I have the roush scoop on the fox and it has a deeper "grill" area than the ford one on my 08 so it catches more air.
Old 01-24-2013, 04:16 PM
Tommyc
1st Gear Member

I could see mine was lifting at speed so I bolted it on. I've talked to many who say just the taped worked fine for them so I ASSume it was my stripes, because I couldn't get it to stay even with new super extra triple strength 3m or whatever its called.
But it looks damn good.
Old 01-24-2013, 05:58 PM
TBooya06gt

Originally Posted by Tommyc
I could see mine was lifting at speed so I bolted it on. I've talked to many who say just the taped worked fine for them so I ASSume it was my stripes, because I couldn't get it to stay even with new super extra triple strength 3m or whatever its called.
But it looks damn good.
Haha yea that's exactly what I'm worried is going to happen to me. Thanks
Old 01-26-2013, 09:53 AM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

Use the proper adhesion promoter/acrylic ashesive curing solution and they
will NEVER come off if applied properly...

3M 4298
Old 01-26-2013, 10:56 AM
Toxix
2nd Gear Member

I've had my hood scoop bolted on, didn't want to risk taping it out.

Quick Reply: hood scoop and lower quarter panel scoops?