Notices
2005-2009 S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2005-2009 S197's

New user - Dash remodel?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2013, 04:17 PM
MichaelQuick

Default New user - Dash remodel?

Hi All. I just turned 16 and I'm planning on buying a 2006 Mustang in a month or so, I plan on putting in some aftermarket parts into it, I want to know if there is a person, or a program I can use to make it so I can implement the following systems.

Pioneer DVD System with AppRadio Feature
- I'd like to have an iphone 5 mount in the top of the dash

Line Lock switches
- C'mon, I'm 16 I'm bound to do a hellacious burnout from time to time,

Push To Start System
- I'd like to put the push to start button where the current 12vdc port is and put two of them above.

Attatched below is a rough design layout of a general way I intend on having things. But If I'm going to do this I'm going to do it right and I want it to look professional. I'm not about to half-a** something just because I want it done. Any ideas on who could make this front faceplate replacement so I could have a good looking front to it?

Thanks!

--Michael Quick
Attached Thumbnails New user - Dash remodel?-mustang-06-dash.jpg  
Old 02-02-2013, 04:18 PM
MichaelQuick

I can't tell if the image attachment worked so heres it from a different source.
Old 02-02-2013, 04:20 PM
aaquib1992
4th Gear Member

Unless a hellacious burnout only includes one tire, I would suggest you either trash the line lock, or upgrade to an 8.8" rear end with a locking differential because the open one on the V6 only sends power to one wheel.
Old 02-02-2013, 04:39 PM
MichaelQuick

Originally Posted by aaquib1992
Unless a hellacious burnout only includes one tire, I would suggest you either trash the line lock, or upgrade to an 8.8" rear end with a locking differential because the open one on the V6 only sends power to one wheel.
What do you mean "only sends power to one wheel"? I may just be stupid here but since when do car's only get power from one side? Unless I'm misinterpreting you.
Old 02-02-2013, 06:05 PM
JimC

The stock rear end on the 2005-10 V6 Mustang has an open differential. So if you try a burn out you will only spin one tire because all the power goes to the one wheel.
Old 02-02-2013, 06:20 PM
aaquib1992
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by MichaelQuick
What do you mean "only sends power to one wheel"? I may just be stupid here but since when do car's only get power from one side? Unless I'm misinterpreting you.
Okay I'll try to explain this but it's going to be long winded so bare with me (I'm also far from a professional writer haha).

Of the two differentials offered on the S197 mustang, the open was reserved for the V6 models, basically because it was cheaper and the weaker rear end of the V6 could only take so much power. The open diff transfers power to one wheel, as sending equal power to both wheels (while simple) would necessitate a differential that could modulate power between the two wheels during cornering as each wheel has a different turn radius (the inner tire travels less distance than the outer) and equal power to each wheel means each one travels at the same speed and thus is would be impossible to have each wheel travel different distances with identical speed (the outer one would lag/drag). Thus the locking differential was born of necessity, and this one is MUCH more complex- sending unequal power to each wheel based upon the turn radius each wheel will have to travel while cornering, and creating different speeds between the two wheels to allow for seamless cornering without any drag.

I probably butchered that explanation so if you don't understand it I suggest you google/youtube some explanations. In essence, Ford (in it's infinite wisdom) decided to keep the V6 from being a decent performer and watered down the rear end on these cars.

If you want a two tire fire, you're going to have to spend a good amount on upgrading your rear end. But on the plus side, you can get some seriously sweet performance from switching to a locking diff and steeper gears (all 8.8" rear ends come with a locking diff, and most come with steeper gears).
Old 02-02-2013, 06:46 PM
MichaelQuick

Originally Posted by aaquib1992
If you want a two tire fire, you're going to have to spend a good amount on upgrading your rear end. But on the plus side, you can get some seriously sweet performance from switching to a locking diff and steeper gears (all 8.8" rear ends come with a locking diff, and most come with steeper gears).
I understood most of that, but what are we talking for a price tag on this new rear end, and what are the pros of it, and what are the cons? and lastly what's the complicity of the installation? I can do a little wrenching but I'm far from a mechanic.
Old 02-02-2013, 08:40 PM
aaquib1992
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by MichaelQuick
I understood most of that, but what are we talking for a price tag on this new rear end, and what are the pros of it, and what are the cons? and lastly what's the complicity of the installation? I can do a little wrenching but I'm far from a mechanic.
Cost wise it really depends where you source your parts from. I've seen rear ends from S197 GTs on craigslist for under $500, but I've also seen brand new take-off rear ends on a few mustang website that are being sold with the more aggressive gears going for $1200 or more.

I don't believe installation is all too complex, but you will need a lift and several people for the job (that axle is huge). You will also need a few other small parts (such as the cobra flange for your existing driveshaft to hook up to the new axle, it's like ~$30 I think? on a few mustang performance parts sites).

Pros: You get way better off the line and low end performance, so the car essentially gets some serious grunt, as the steeper gears really help at low speeds. A stronger rear axle that likely won't fail, and a locking differential for all the twin tire burnouts your clutch and wallet can provide.

Cons: Pricey. You're paying a lot, because you're getting about 2-3 upgrades at the same time. You will likely have to pay a shop to do it, unless you have access to a lift.

If you decide to go the route of swapping out your rear end, make a thread on the 4.0L tech section. I'm sure the people that have done this mod themselves will chime in and give you some pointers/tips/etc. to make sure you don't hit too many bumps along the way, and give you an exact parts list with a more accurate cost analysis.
Old 02-02-2013, 09:35 PM
MichaelQuick

Fantastic! thank you! and Now back to the original post, Do you know any places that could make something like that?
Old 02-02-2013, 10:23 PM
So_Cali
5th Gear Member

Here is what you're looking for, 3.73s already included.

Quick Reply: New user - Dash remodel?