Notices
2005-2009 S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2005-2009 S197's

Looking to start my performance mods. What first?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2014, 02:24 PM
101btp
1st Gear Member

todrick hey the factory manifolds of the 4.0 flow pretty close to shorty headers, so if you are going to be doing more exhaust work like a H pipe or X pipe holding off and getting a set of long tube headers would give you a higher power gain especially tuned headers other than exhaust work, and the CAI and tuner combo, possibly a spark plug change those are really the best options that are really worth the money, any other bolt on options really are not worth spending the extra on for the power you get, unless you are getting engine parts from http://www.supersixmotorsports.com/ or are going a forced induction way, up grading the rear end internals and possibly changing gear ratios might be another good upgrade?
Old 03-03-2014, 02:44 PM
todrick
2nd Gear Member

So hold off getting the manifold and get long tube headers instead? I definitely want to do more exhaust work cause I want something other than stock exhaust sound. I was already considering an H or X pipe when I went for the exhaust work.
Old 03-03-2014, 05:20 PM
101btp
1st Gear Member

yeah if you are gonna get a H or X pipe I would defiantly go with long tube headers, if you want to get a preview of how different exhaust combinations sound because x is considered more aggressive and H gives more of a classic sound check it out on youtube, or American Muscle also has some good clips on their website, but kind of got ahead of my self but both of the styles of pipes im saying are for duals will you plan on running duals? either way tho you will get more power out of long tube headers than short tube
Old 03-04-2014, 08:39 AM
todrick
2nd Gear Member

I've got the GT so duals are already on it. I do like ht eidea of long tubes over the shorty headers anyway. I'll probably go with the CAI and tuner, and then pick up headers before the manifold now. Thanks for the advice!
Old 03-04-2014, 11:07 PM
l00kitzzlilcj
2nd Gear Member

Do exhaust first. The car will sound much more aggressive which IMO is what I want noticed more than anything. I have bbk LT's with their short catted x and corsa Xtremes. Absolutely mind blowing under full throttle lol and no drone. A set of axlebacks will be more than enough to notice, then decide on your headers...pretty sure all LTs require the same brand shorty midpipe, but shorty headers work with regular midpipes.

Last edited by l00kitzzlilcj; 03-04-2014 at 11:11 PM.
Old 03-05-2014, 09:39 AM
101btp
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by l00kitzzlilcj
Do exhaust first. The car will sound much more aggressive which IMO is what I want noticed more than anything. I have bbk LT's with their short catted x and corsa Xtremes. Absolutely mind blowing under full throttle lol and no drone. A set of axlebacks will be more than enough to notice, then decide on your headers...pretty sure all LTs require the same brand shorty midpipe, but shorty headers work with regular midpipes.
I was just saying change to longtube because you get more power and why not if hes gonna already change the x or H pipe?? and the price range from each other is not too far apart... and you get more power??

Todrick you did say most practical up grade to go with first right??? I mean a tuner and CIA you are gonna get the most bang for you're buck with MPG and power, axle backs just make a different sound with minimal to no power gains
Old 03-05-2014, 10:27 AM
l00kitzzlilcj
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 101btp
I was just saying change to longtube because you get more power and why not if hes gonna already change the x or H pipe?? and the price range from each other is not too far apart... and you get more power
I had my CAI &tune before I put my longtubes in, after the install I was more impressed than I thought I'd be. HUGE pain in the a$$ to get them in though.

But if he's gonna get a new midpipe then it's going to be a waste if he gets LT's down the road cuz it won't fit anymore. Headers have to be decided upon before changing the mid. If you do change it though, might as well get shorties IMO.
Old 03-05-2014, 11:22 AM
101btp
1st Gear Member

yeah if you're gonna change them both at some point defiantly worth it to save up and get the majority of the exhaust work at the same time, although on e bay if you watch it their have been some good deals!!!
Old 03-05-2014, 02:47 PM
l00kitzzlilcj
2nd Gear Member

Actually I just realized, getting headers isn't safe without a tune especially a new midpipe. The order I did my work in was axlebacks, CAI & Tuner, then bbk LTs & their catted X. Axlebacks don't need any tuning.
Old 03-05-2014, 04:07 PM
todrick
2nd Gear Member

Yeah, I really don't want to do axle backs if no other gain than just sound. Headers I know will require some work. I am definitely always up for a great deal. I just got my new rims and tires off the UPS truck this afternoon, so if I can sell my factory ones to offset the cost of the CAI/tuner combo some so I don't end up divorced lol, I'll be picking that up within a week or so. Just got my Steeda strut brace in today as well.

Quick Reply: Looking to start my performance mods. What first?