Notices
2005-2009 S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2005-2009 S197's

Hood hole filling

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2014, 09:19 PM
gmoran1469
3rd Gear Member

Default Hood hole filling

I've been trying to find a good hood swap for a gt hood with no scoop, none avail in my local area that aren't in crap condition. I do have a paint gun and some base black to match and some clear. How should I go about filling the holes? What material is the hood made from? If it's alu or steel I think I could put a piece of metal behind the holes and fill them then sand them smooth.
Old 06-24-2014, 09:29 PM
Cruzinaround
3rd Gear Member

A l u m I n u m....

---
Old 06-24-2014, 09:55 PM
gmoran1469
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Cruzinaround
A l u m I n u m....

---
Easy fix then, got some 16ga aluminum in da shop, gonna smack it on da back, tack it on da front and sand it smooth, THEN TO DA PAINT SHOP!
Old 06-24-2014, 10:28 PM
Cruzinaround
3rd Gear Member

YOLO..

Have a go at spraying it yourself. You might like it. Worst case... You'll muck it up and bring it to a shop.

---
Old 06-24-2014, 10:29 PM
gmoran1469
3rd Gear Member

YOLO..

Have a go at spraying it yourself. You might like it. Worst case... You'll muck it up and bring it to a shop.

---
By the paint shop I meant my shop. Got some hvlp's over the weekend and a pint of code black to match. Gonna spray the bottom side at the same time.
Old 06-25-2014, 09:39 AM
Cruzinaround
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by gmoran1469
By the paint shop I meant my shop. Got some hvlp's over the weekend and a pint of code black to match. Gonna spray the bottom side at the same time.
NOICE.....

I shoot and prep all work myself as well. The results make me feel better than trusting anyone else. I might re-shoot my hood It came out nice, but I didn't put any flex additive in the mix for it, thinking the hood wouldn't flex as much as a splitter or wing. And it really doesn't, but its more prone to chipping with a straight mix. So next time more flex.... and maybe I'll paint match the rockers as well. Or perhaps go all out and change the color entirely. When you have the power and skill to shoot paint yourself...the possibilities are endless.

Anyhoo...have fun with it.

---
Old 06-25-2014, 11:05 AM
gmoran1469
3rd Gear Member

NOICE.....

I shoot and prep all work myself as well. The results make me feel better than trusting anyone else. I might re-shoot my hood It came out nice, but I didn't put any flex additive in the mix for it, thinking the hood wouldn't flex as much as a splitter or wing. And it really doesn't, but its more prone to chipping with a straight mix. So next time more flex.... and maybe I'll paint match the rockers as well. Or perhaps go all out and change the color entirely. When you have the power and skill to shoot paint yourself...the possibilities are endless.

Anyhoo...have fun with it.

---
Gonna do some test shooting at the advice of my cousin. He is a car guy and has been painting and working on cars since he was a kid. He suggested I use body filler instead of trying to weld fill the holes as it's not quite as permanent if I fudge it up. He also suggested I do some test shooting before trying to spray the hood which I definitely am since it's the focal point of the car really and any defect will draw the eyes to it.
Old 06-25-2014, 11:06 AM
PNYXPRESS
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by gmoran1469
I've been trying to find a good hood swap for a gt hood with no scoop, none avail in my local area that aren't in crap condition.
Have you tried with the V6 crowd? As most of them didn't come with a scoop and use the same hood.
Old 06-25-2014, 12:20 PM
gmoran1469
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by PNYXPRESS
Have you tried with the V6 crowd? As most of them didn't come with a scoop and use the same hood.
Yeah, too late now though, body filler and paint bought. I wanted to paint something anyway.
Old 06-26-2014, 12:05 AM
gmoran1469
3rd Gear Member

Stayed late and helped a buddy in exchange for him TIG welding up my hood. Kept it wet and cold as I could to keep it from warping.

Name:  Rf7zcET.jpg
Views: 8
Size:  296.4 KB

Hard to see the welds in the pic because of the exposure.

Quick Reply: Hood hole filling