Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Running wires into the engine compartment

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2006, 08:59 PM
austijc
2nd Gear Member

Default Running wires into the engine compartment

I need to run a wire from the dash into the engine compartment for my GPS install. Can anyone that's done that tell me the best place. I have to do it mostly by feel because I can't get my big head under there to see much. This is a 2006 GT Convertible.
Old 02-27-2006, 11:27 PM
Truxtun
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Running wires into the engine compartment

Pop the hood and stand next to the drivers side fender & windshield... as you look down on the firewall, there is an oval type place that is designed to be able to run a wire through there, and you can use the putty type stuff to squeeze it together and reseal it. I hope this helps, it is hard to describe and I am not near the Mustang atm. poke a hole through and feed the wire(s). this is where the dealer ran my wires for the fog light switch. He poked a hole through and then sealed it back up again lickity split, was pretty cool...

I hope my horrible description helps some... maybe after you look at it you will see where I mean...
Old 02-28-2006, 01:29 AM
0to60
2nd Gear Member

It depends on whether you have the manual or the automatic: on the auto, you will see the oval like Truxtun said; on a stick, the best place to run a wire through is the foam insulation surrounding the clutch boost cable (?) which is more or less in the same place -- a little ways down the firewall on the driver's side. This is where my fog light wiring goes through -- you will just need a screwdriver to poke a hole in the foam and work the wire in there.

Tim
Old 02-28-2006, 01:30 PM
Professor Wizard
MF Moderator

[sm=ttiwwp.gif][sm=ttiwwp.gif]
Old 03-01-2006, 12:13 AM
sowaxeman
Retired Moderator

Ok, I got pics but I went on the passenger side and drilled my own hole next to the antnna cable (orange). Stick your head up under the passenger foot well and locate the orange cable and drill away Below is my step by step from a previous thread. I realize it may be a little more involved from the others guys ideas - but hey, I got pics

Scroll down a bit in this post: https://mustangforums.com/fb.asp?m=1077837
Old 03-01-2006, 12:15 AM
hawgman
I ♥ Acer

^^^what he said^^^

That is where I ran all of my amp wiring and my GPS wiring. Or, basically the same place on the drivers side. That is where all of my gauge wiring and my shift light wiring is ran.
Old 03-01-2006, 12:21 AM
MikeVistaBlue06
I ♥ Acer

If you drill any holes for the wires, be sure to use a rubber grommet in the holes so the wires won't chafe and short out!

Should I tell you about the time I ran two 10 guage wires through the firewall, through a hole I cut, but didn't put the grommet in place.....one night they shorted out and it sure looks funny to open the hood of your car and see a bright orange glowing streak (the wire) roasting away. It sort of reminded me of looking inside an electric oven...on broil!

Hope this helps.

Mike

Old 03-01-2006, 12:28 AM
sowaxeman
Retired Moderator

Good advice - but they make external fuses for 10g wires ya know
Old 03-04-2006, 06:37 PM
austijc
2nd Gear Member

Thanks for the help everyone. Here's some pictures. It looks like it has to go right near the top of the foam. It comes through right above the clutch, so I ran staight off to the side and zip tied it to the amp cable to make sure it didn't get hung up on the pedal.

[IMG]local://upfiles/29770/8C4E1E956BAC47439309CB97157CF27F.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/29770/03BE23BEDB724C01BF4BB192CBA3174D.jpg[/IMG]
Old 03-04-2006, 10:21 PM
skilz4u2nv
3rd Gear Member

In case you need to run anything else I ran my amp power wire through a rubber grommet in the passenger side.
Easiest way to get to it is take out the battery, then the battery tray... shine a flashlight where the battery used to be and just to the right on the firewall u will see a rubber flap... behind that flap is ur way through into the cabin.... just poke through that grommet and u will join all the other wires that are on that side just under the glove box.. then u can run ur wire to where ever your heart desires...

Quick Reply: Running wires into the engine compartment