Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Seat Protection for GT Leather

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2006, 12:55 AM
GTSoup

Default Seat Protection for GT Leather

Just picked up my 06 Torch Red GT convertible last Friday. I went with the red leather interior and so far I like it. I am concerned about keeping the seat's clean and not faded. I'm considering seat covers if I could find some that don't look too hokey and are easy to take on and off. Oh, and they have to accomodate the seat air-bags. I see CoverKing has some. Anyone have experience with this? Can't wait for it to quit raining in Seattle so I can log some serious miles.
Old 03-01-2006, 11:23 AM
sowaxeman
Retired Moderator

Default RE: Seat Protection for GT Leather

Forget the seat covers [:'(] Get you some Lexol Leather Cleaner & Conditioner (two bottles, one is brown and the other is orange) That stuff works and smells great If you are worried about the sun causing damage (assuming you park outside alot) then get a good window tint job, and buy a cheezy fold up window shade for those bright sunny days when you have to park outside.
Old 03-01-2006, 02:49 PM
skin5050
2nd Gear Member

I use Meguiar's leather seat conditioner. It works well too. And also smells good.
Old 03-01-2006, 02:57 PM
BlackB-U-TEE_06
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: sowaxeman

Forget the seat covers [:'(] Get you some Lexol Leather Cleaner & Conditioner (two bottles, one is brown and the other is orange) That stuff works and smells great If you are worried about the sun causing damage (assuming you park outside alot) then get a good window tint job, and buy a cheezy fold up window shade for those bright sunny days when you have to park outside.
i read somewhere that using leather conditioner may cause your seats to deteriorate faster, if you don't use it on a regular basis. the way it was described, your leather becomes "addicted" to the stuff, and if you don't use it on a regular basis, you can cause more harm than good.

true? bs?

i have a leather couch at home, and when i bought it, the lady at the store said not to put anything on it except to clean it with a little soapy water if it gets dirty, otherwise, she said don't put ANYTHING on it. wondering if the reasoning behind this is the same as the car seat/conditioner story. any info would be great.
Old 03-01-2006, 03:00 PM
BlackB-U-TEE_06
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: GTSoup

Just picked up my 06 Torch Red GT convertible last Friday. I went with the red leather interior and so far I like it. I am concerned about keeping the seat's clean and not faded. I'm considering seat covers if I could find some that don't look too hokey and are easy to take on and off. Oh, and they have to accomodate the seat air-bags. I see CoverKing has some. Anyone have experience with this? Can't wait for it to quit raining in Seattle so I can log some serious miles.
P.S. - i drive my stang every single day, for at least 2 hours total each day, so my seats get A LOT of wear. 4 months, and i can start to see some wear on the driver's seat - nothing horrible looking, but it could probably use a nice cleaning soon.

i agree with one of the above posts - forget the seat covers...why cover up those beautiful seats. Finally ford has gotten the interior of the mustang right, and you want to cover it up? let it breathe!!
Old 03-01-2006, 06:27 PM
sowaxeman
Retired Moderator

My car is a show car, so it gets a light coating of the Lexol Protectant during each cleaning - so I'm not worried about having to "feed" it conditioner all the time.

However I don't believe that to be true. Do you polish your leather shoes? Don't they look better and last longer with regular care? I have the same old work shoes for 6+ years now, and the same leather jacket. The shoes get polished, and the jacket does not - guess which one looks new and which looks old and worn out
Old 03-01-2006, 06:32 PM
MikeHawke
Retired MF Moderator

ORIGINAL: sowaxeman

My car is a show car, so it gets a light coating of the Lexol Protectant during each cleaning - so I'm not worried about having to "feed" it conditioner all the time.

However I don't believe that to be true. Do you polish your leather shoes? Don't they look better and last longer with regular care? I have the same old work shoes for 6+ years now, and the same leather jacket. The shoes get polished, and the jacket does not - guess which one looks new and which looks old and worn out

good point.

.....but now I am confused. [8D] My leather couch also had a "care sheet" with it and it also says to put nothing but a little bit of soapy water on it.
Old 03-01-2006, 06:41 PM
tdappleman
1st Gear Member

Part of the deal with home (or interior) leather is it's not subject to temperature fluctuations - and less sunlight. Lexol is a great product and comes highly recommended.

http://www.lexol.com/slick.html

Old 03-01-2006, 07:58 PM
austijc
2nd Gear Member

The owners manual has some instructions. I don't know if regular leather products are a good idea because of the clear coat they put on it. Probably worth finding that Motorcraft leather kit to see what's in it.
Old 03-01-2006, 08:36 PM
algregory
3rd Gear Member

I read the various inputs by various folks.

Please recall, the whole seats are not leather. Only the actual sit on and area for your back are leather. Its a pretty nice job, but the whole seat is not leather.

That being said, Lexol has been a great leather product for many years. Meguiar's is a great product in the automotive industry. Both make wipes pre saturated with their respective products. Mequiar's has one for vinyl products. Its going to be awhile before we know what we should have done, like 20-20 hindsight, but, care is better than no care. watch out for combs, pencils, sharp objects. Wear clean clothes. Drive the car! Tint the windows, keep the ugly SUN off the interior as much as possible! Me, personally, I hate the SUN on my toys!

Quick Reply: Seat Protection for GT Leather