Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Whats Better: Slotted or Drilled............

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2006, 03:48 PM
SpikeGT
2nd Gear Member

Default Whats Better: Slotted or Drilled............

..... or slotted/drilled rotors? Please tell pros and cons if there are any.
Old 03-01-2006, 04:02 PM
The Ghost
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Whats Better: Slotted or Drilled............

They do the same thing. It provides a void for gasses to go durring hard braking. Drilled will be a little cooler as the holes basicly make them a heat sink, but they will only ever get hot enough to notice if you are auto-X racing. For a street car both are mainly for looks, so get what you think is the best look for you.
Old 03-01-2006, 04:58 PM
SpikeGT
2nd Gear Member

Thanks for the info.
ORIGINAL: The Ghost

They do the same thing. It provides a void for gasses to go durring hard braking. Drilled will be a little cooler as the holes basicly make them a heat sink, but they will only ever get hot enough to notice if you are auto-X racing. For a street car both are mainly for looks, so get what you think is the best look for you.
Old 03-01-2006, 04:58 PM
1fast05GT
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: The Ghost

I agree with Ghost. I got the slotted/drilled only because it was a great deal, and they are just for looks.
Old 03-01-2006, 05:06 PM
SpikeGT
2nd Gear Member

yeah i don't auto-x race or anything I just want something that will look better than the stockers and if they help performance wise at all even better.
Old 03-01-2006, 07:20 PM
Shard Phoenix
2nd Gear Member

With drilled rotors on a street car your going to look forword to replaceing them frequently. They have a huge tendance to crack when they are heat cycled repetatively, especially if they get wet.

With slotted rotors look forword to buying pads more frequently, the slots actually shear off a microscopic amount of pad material on every rotation with the brakes engaged (Thats how they sheer away the gasses).

Neither are really great for street driven cars, blanks are the way to go for a daily driver.
Old 03-01-2006, 07:43 PM
CainMotorsports2102
3rd Gear Member

SLotted reales excess gas which helps for a better braking surface where drilled releases heat. For a long time ppl said to not run drilled for everyday use, that they cracked, but things have gotten better. If your goin for looks, id definitelyt do drilled and slotted. Im ordering a pair of ROTORA here ina week or so
Old 03-01-2006, 07:46 PM
Shard Phoenix
2nd Gear Member

When did that change? I know of a lot of people that still have problems with cross-drilled cracking, zinc plating doesnt help, nothing helps its just the nature of steel to crack under the stress. If things have changed though then I am definatly getting a set because they look great and certainly help with fade.
Old 03-01-2006, 09:22 PM
MusiccityGT
4th Gear Member

I am running drilled and slotteds and am very happy with the difference in brake fade. Love em!
Old 03-01-2006, 11:47 PM
The Ghost
3rd Gear Member

Cool, I can finally share here from a career point of view. I work in one of the most productive steel mills in the world. You would be blown away by what we can make steel do under certain conditions. For instance, in bridges and tall buildings we have steel that actually gets harder the more stress that is induced. For cars and such we have steel that will get harder as it is crumpled in order to create a buffer effect and limit the amount of compression, you may have heard it called energy absorbing. We can make "quiet steel" or low conductive steel. Metalurgy has progressed to mind blowing proportions. So...can brake rotors be made that do not crack, absolutley. The Q is does the average company offer such a rotor. Really, I would imagine that most machine shops go with the most cost effective steel. But, even common carbon grade steel is 100% better than it was 10 years ago. And because I am a machinist by trade, a simple chamfering of the cross drilling will prevent cracks. Heat cracks "stress" propogate from sharp edges, a standard countersink will normally cure this problem. Will the E-bay rotors offer this, maybe not. Ask Q's to the manufacture if this concerns you. I still stand by for a street ride rotors are strictly for looks. There is a very slim chance that you will heat them up enough to ever notice a difference at all.

Quick Reply: Whats Better: Slotted or Drilled............