Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dead Battery!?!?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2006, 01:59 PM
wildabouthorses
2nd Gear Member

Default Dead Battery!?!?

Anyone have a problem with a near dead battery in their 05 convert v6 Mustang?

Yesterday I went out to get the info manual from the car only to find both remotes not working. I think...hmmm may be the remote battery. Got ready to go buy new batteries and couldn't start the car! Charged the car battery back up and it seems to be okay as this morning. Keeping an eye on it as we didn't leave anything on that could have drained the battery. Car had been sitting for about a week since it was last driven and its been a couple of months since getting the new "smart moduale" replaced.
Old 03-02-2006, 02:25 PM
chidrock
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Dead Battery!?!?

Do you have the shaker 1000 system? I heard people mention that the amps were causing this sometimes.
Old 03-02-2006, 02:32 PM
DHG#3703

Common problem with the 2005-2006 models. It happened to me twice. The first time I thought I might have left the dome lights on but couldn't prove it. The last time my car sat for a little more than a month between starts. Both times I charged the battery and it seemed fine. After the last time, I called the dealer and talked to one of the technicians and he told me it was common if they were not driven within a three period. I find it to be a bunch of BS. So I took my car to the dealer to have them check the charging/battery system. I was told by the service writter that ford have a TSB on how to check for the parasitic current draw. If you disconnect the battery and place a current meter in series with the battery, the meter will show a 1.5 to 1.9 amp current draw for atleast 28 minutes. After 28 minutes, the computer is supposed to go into low current sleep mode. I have not done this on my car to verify what I was told because I am not going to stand there and wait for 28 minutes holding the meter leads to the battery and wire harness. It was easier to purchase a "Battery Tender" and just plug that in when the car was going to sit for longer peroids of time.
Old 03-02-2006, 04:55 PM
hawgman
I ♥ Acer

Ford batteries are junk, period. It happens in pretty much all of the Mustangs reguardless of whether or not you have a shaker1000.
Old 03-02-2006, 05:46 PM
Wicked Pony
3rd Gear Member

It's probably the battery. The same thing happened to my 2003 Monte Carlo with a Delco in it. I'm on my third battery for Monte. Next time it fails (car is out of warranty) I will pay extra and get an optima battery.
Old 03-02-2006, 05:54 PM
05 Cayuse
2nd Gear Member

Welcome to the"Dead Battery" Gang! It's happened to me a couple of times after the car has set for a week or so. Now I just put it on the trickle charger if I know it's going to be idle for any length of time. I agree it's a pain in the a$$! A new car shouldn't have this glitch, but if that's the only problem I'll continue to love her.
Old 03-02-2006, 06:00 PM
Newbreedgt05
3rd Gear Member

Yeah, I had the same problem too! The car only sat for about three days without running cause its in storage. Battery was completely dead. I thought that I maybe left the dome lights on, but they are supposed to turn off 10 minutes after the key is taken out of the ignition if they are left on. Never really found out what the real cause was, but its frustrating.
Old 03-03-2006, 01:31 AM
wildabouthorses
2nd Gear Member

newbreed I take it only happened once? How did you take care of it? Just a charge or jump or new battery? This really sucks, no reason for a dead battery in a brand new car!!! It has the 500 shaker. Upsets me because we had a brand new 97 Bonneville that went through 6 altenators in about a years time before we finally just traded it off as they were just putting back in the same type altenator that didn't seem to handle all the electronics.

Only thing else I can think of is the alarm is set, but surely that shouldn't drain it? This is really gonna **** my hubby off if this car eats batteries like our Bonneville ate altenators as he was leary about buying a Ford.

So you think well something is draining the battery or you think maybe the altenator isn't recharging the battery...only thing new on the car is the "smart moduale" they replaced about two months ago and at that time it added the running lights we didn't have before like they didn't set it right to specs. I think if the battery dies again I will take it in to the dealer and raise some hell, the car will be a year old in mid May. I do know hubby has used a radar detector and sometimes he uses the GPS in the cigerette lighter plug. But that shouldn't drain a car battery to nearly nothing!
Old 03-03-2006, 10:57 AM
Stooge
2nd Gear Member

A suggestion - get a MOTORCYCLE 3 or 5 stage automatic battery charger. Overnight, put the charger on the battery. The MC chargers only use a couple of amps, and run through a "desulfanation" process in which the battery is pulsed with short bursts of higher voltages over a period of time. This will remove the "age" from your battery and allow it to perform as intended when new. Do this about once a month, and your batteries should last allot longer.

As a data point, some "new" car batteries are many times YEARS old. Age is the enemy of your battery. In addition, most batteries installed in your vehicle operate under a constant level of UNDERCHARGE. This is caused by short trips, large electrical loads on the battery and smaller alternators. This allows the plates on your battery to get coated with precipitated minerals such as sulfur. This slowly decreases the capacity of the battery to 1) deliver current, and 2) to be recharged. A monthly FULLY charge overnight by an automatic trickle charger will help to stop the process of natural battery degradation due to these effects.

And a fully cahrged battery allows all the systems using electricity in your vehicle to operate as designed, and your car will run better!!
Old 03-06-2006, 03:22 PM
RedFireChik
1st Gear Member

I just had this problem this morning. I got in to go to work, and it would barely crank. Radio and clock was reset. I drove it Saturday night, so it hasn't been sitting for long. My hubby didn't check to make sure the trunk latched Saturday night, but it was closed enough that the light wasn't on. I hate car problems. I just went to get in it to go to lunch and it did it again. I've got it running now...I just want to go get lunch.

Quick Reply: Dead Battery!?!?