Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Worst luck ever!

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2006, 02:25 PM
SubsonicBulldog
1st Gear Member

Default Worst luck ever!

Sorry guys gotta vent! Ok so the other night it rains here in Arizona, first time in probably 6 months. So yesterday I'm goin to wash the car before work, drivin along, quite a few cars it's 5PM after all. Following a truck at about 45mph, and his tailgate flies open. A box comes rolling out and pretty much explodes, showering my car in........ any guesses........ come on just guess......... NAILS!!!!!!!!! Big sharp roofing nails all over my one month old, Black!!!!! Mustang GT. Basically I end up driving through a cloud of nails at 45mph, so I pull over as does the truck. I get out to see about 10 nails sitting on the roof of my car, never been so pissed off in my life!!! Then I got nervous, and started praying that this guy has insurance, come to find out he does so I'm not gonna get too mad until they tell me what they are not gonna fix. I'm hoping a can get a paintjob from ford and some brand new tires, also some things like one of the fog light brackets got chipped, mustang on grill has dents, spoiler even has a chip. Anyone, who has dealt with insurance companies a bit, have any ideas on how to get the most out of this? It would be appreciated.
Old 03-02-2006, 02:29 PM
Professor Wizard
MF Moderator

Default RE: Worst luck ever!

Oh man...

THAT is some crappy lucj!

But... at least it isn't YOUR insuarnce you have to deal with... you can be pretty much a jerk to his insurance and get away with it.

Right off... see what his insurance wants to do.. then go from there....

There are so many insurance companies it is hard to tell... some of them are worthless.. and others just say - - take it to valid shop and send us the bill!

Only time will tell!
Old 03-02-2006, 02:46 PM
SPARTAN VI
4th Gear Member

Man, I thought I had bad luck when a Walmart employee drove into my car for a routine tire change...

Hopefully there's light at the end of the tunnel. I've have a streak of bad luck lately.. got scammed out of $350 Monday. [:@] There goes my tuner and intake.
Old 03-02-2006, 02:57 PM
SubsonicBulldog
1st Gear Member

Dang, forgot about your hail incident. That's up there too for bad luck.

Had to take mine to Walmart to get tires patched, I thought for sure something else was gonna happen when the guy stalled it 4 times tryin to put it on the lift [&:]

I hear everyone saying that the ford paint job is way better than what any of these shops can do, how true is that?
Old 03-02-2006, 03:06 PM
Shard Phoenix
2nd Gear Member

Factory paint jobs are hard to beat, perfect temp, humidity... But your dealership isnt a factory, they will outsource it. Find a local, well known paint shop (Talk to people with nice looking classics, hot rods ETC) and take it to them, a lot of these little shops get by on their reputation alone... I want someone who is puting their reputation on the line on every car they paint. Someone who uses PPG or House of color paint would be ideal if insurance is paying for the repairs. Make sure you talk to the guy who is painting your car, build up a little repoir and then your car wont be "just another job" that he can slack on. Black is a hard color to lay flawlessly, so make sure your guy has plenty of experience with both prep, and painting... because the slightest missed scuff with sandpaper is gonna show through black.
Old 03-02-2006, 04:13 PM
LL05GT
2nd Gear Member

Man that just downright.....well, sucks. Sorry to hear. I would do as others are saying and take it to a well known local shop and have them do the work. good luck.
Old 03-02-2006, 06:36 PM
6xStang
3rd Gear Member

there are plenty of body shops that can paint your car a heck of a lot better than Bill Ford can. And, while black is a difficult color to prep for, it is an easy color to paint. It is also easy to match. If you've ever tried to paint with metallic paint you'd know what I mean.

Find a good shop first, then have them work with the insurance company to get the $$ they need to fix it right.
Old 03-02-2006, 07:04 PM
blk05stang
2nd Gear Member

Man that sucks! That's why I get no closer than 200 feet from any truck on the road. You never know what's gonna fly out the back.
Old 03-02-2006, 08:39 PM
SubsonicBulldog
1st Gear Member

Thanks for everyones sympathy, still waiting for an adjuster to call me back. Hopefully she'll be good as new when she's done.
Old 03-02-2006, 09:01 PM
fairlane292
5th Gear Member

5xstang: you're right on: "there are plenty of body shops that can paint your car a heck of a lot better than Bill Ford can. And, while black is a difficult color to prep for, it is an easy color to paint. It is also easy to match. If you've ever tried to paint with metallic paint you'd know what I mean."

Black is about the easiest, as 5xstang says metallic is a lot tougher and well flake... you don't go there unless you are a seasoned pro. The only thing about black is the quality of the clear is critical. A decent clearcoat jod is fine on white but decent is not good enough for black. It should look much better than OEM. no orange peel, the paint will look wet and glassy smooth. Have the shop tell you how they finish the clearcoat. You don't spray it on and your done. That's the easy part. The guy that did mine sanded the entire car; did 3 coats of clear over the flames, sanded that, then the blue pinstripe went down outlining the flames, then 3-4 coats over the whole car, sanded in 1500 then either 2000 or 2500, then machine polish. No wax for 4-5weeks after. ...worth asking how they'll do the clear. The painter knows how much he needs to take off with each sanding; too many coats will actually chip more easily. Do the research, I think there will be a happy ending when it's all said and done.

Quick Reply: Worst luck ever!