Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Whats Up With Wheel Hop?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2006, 09:41 PM
Stoenr
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Whats Up With Wheel Hop?!?!?!?!?!?!?

ORIGINAL: ThisBlood147

Hmmm....from the looks of it, seems like everyone that has 18" rims doesn't suffer nasty wheelhop.......while myself and many, many others who still have 17's get it regularly. Just an observation.....................yep, time for some 18's

Hate to throw this into your observation, lol but for me...

18" Fanblades, Stick, stock car, some wheel hop

17" Bullitts fitted with snow tires, roush rear springs some bolt on's, No wheel hop.

We shall see in a month when I put the 18"s back on what the results are there.

I think alot has to do with the tempurature out and the type of pavement for those puppies want to spin nicely. And somewhat how you launch it.
Just my .02
Old 03-02-2006, 09:52 PM
ThisBlood147
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Stoenr

Hmmm....from the looks of it, seems like everyone that has 18" rims doesn't suffer nasty wheelhop.......while myself and many, many others who still have 17's get it regularly. Just an observation.....................yep, time for some 18's

Hate to throw this into your observation, lol but for me...

18" Fanblades, Stick, stock car, some wheel hop

17" Bullitts fitted with snow tires, roush rear springs some bolt on's, No wheel hop.

We shall see in a month when I put the 18"s back on what the results are there.

I think alot has to do with the tempurature out and the type of pavement for those puppies want to spin nicely. And somewhat how you launch it.
Just my .02
Ah well...........guess its LCA's and suspension upgrade for me then. But I still wanna find some good 18's to put on at some point. Decisions, decisions.....
Old 03-02-2006, 10:22 PM
Thetics
2nd Gear Member

no hop here.. i listen to rock and metal.. sorry [sm=icon_rock.gif]
Old 03-02-2006, 10:50 PM
one_focused_svt
3rd Gear Member

well just tried to hop about an hour ago, and well nothing but smooth melted rubber, lol!
Old 03-02-2006, 11:40 PM
ford4v429
3rd Gear Member

seriously- havent even looked yet, but whatta you guys think about slappers vs bushings/arms?

heres my 2 cents as to why I'd want slappers:

1) stiffer bushings will help wheelhop, but does anyone worry about the added shock to the chassis due to bumps in the road? lower control arms need to isolate a little bit of the shock... Slapper bars dont need to touch anything until the housing starts to rotate, so ride/shock to chassis stays original.

2) stiffer bushings on a stick car I would think would pull like heck on that upper link anyway- as any axle torque tends to pull basically straight back on single top link...too close to center of car to assist in much weight transfer(I think). Slapper bars try to lift in front of rear tire, no tensile stress to chassis at all- and added 'lift' helps get rid of the 'squat' during hard acceleration. My 06 really squats down noticably if you get on it- fun, but feels kinda squirmy to me when I bang second.

3) slappers look cool to me

I put a set of chrome lakewood bars on my 69 (leafs though) as it had severe wheel hop, and it totally went away...I want the new one to look like the old one too If they dont make a set fot the 05, maybe I'll just cut/weld up a set of the lakewoods...I think I only paid like 30 bucks for them(about 25 years ago though).
my 06 gets a fairly high frequency wheelhop, but usually if roads a little wet- stock 17" pirellis. havent gotten to do the smoky burnout yet

Tires can make a world of difference- my 85 camaro(v6!) would wheel hop so hard the passenger door (no posi) would hammer violently. a wider set of T/A radials (think stock were 225-14's), and smooth as silk. that little thing would easily spin a 245/60/15 if engine was cold and A/C was on (guess it really richens up- hard on cold motor, but ran fairly respectably for a puny 2.8 litres- a lot to do with the very low first gear on the th700).

Old 03-02-2006, 11:44 PM
Stoenr
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ford4v429

.... My 06 really squats down noticably if you get on it- fun, but feels kinda squirmy to me when I bang second.

Exact reason I put rear roush springs on. I hated that feeling. Plus the hidious wheel well gap is gone too.
Old 03-03-2006, 12:47 AM
viking396
5th Gear Member

Hmmm....from the looks of it, seems like everyone that has 18" rims doesn't suffer nasty wheelhop.......while myself and many, many others who still have 17's get it regularly. Just an observation......

...............yep, time for some 18's
I have the 18.9's and once in awhile I get hop.....
Old 03-03-2006, 01:31 AM
BeeStang
3rd Gear Member

20's here and stock suspension... can't figure this one out. I need to put my 17's back on and see what happens. Must be the amount of meat that hits the road, go figure. We'll see what happens when I burn the 17's off!!
Old 03-03-2006, 02:24 AM
Hoof_N_It06 GT
1st Gear Member

beestang where did you get your corral grill? i have been looking everywhere for one of those
Old 03-03-2006, 03:22 AM
BeeStang
3rd Gear Member

I'll be putting my OEM's back on... just to see what happens! I'll report in a couple of days. I'm really curious now!

Hmmm....from the looks of it, seems like everyone that has 18" rims doesn't suffer nasty wheelhop.......while myself and many, many others who still have 17's get it regularly. Just an observation......

...............yep, time for some 18's

Quick Reply: Whats Up With Wheel Hop?!?!?!?!?!?!?