Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got a repair quote from Ford... yes or no?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2006, 09:49 PM
Thetics
2nd Gear Member

Default Got a repair quote from Ford... yes or no?

400 to fix a nasty deep door ding and some ding damage on the quarter panel, includes paint, he was able to give me 400 cuz theyre doing warrenty paint work on my trunk. My trunk has some oxydization. by the way.. if u have paint defects on your car... FIGHT IT! ur paint is covered for 12 moths or some odd thousand miles! Page 6 in your warrenty book, environmental corrosion or something like that... look into it, dont let them talk u down! so what do u guys think of this quote?

-Thetics
Old 03-02-2006, 10:28 PM
Thetics
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Got a repair quote from Ford... yes or no?

cmon 17 views, not 1 opinion? youre letting me down fellas, Thetics needs you. I know its hard without pics, but just use your imagination.

Old 03-02-2006, 10:39 PM
antiv6
5th Gear Member

seems good to me. Id ask a body shop to give you a quote to compare
Old 03-02-2006, 11:54 PM
ford4v429
3rd Gear Member

personally- I'd say at least check out a paintless body guy first- if you can get someone to gently beat it out I think it would be way to go. even if dealer paints, they wont take time to work a panel(usually). I got a pic here somewhere of my mom's 93 tbird...a few years ago, a 1/2-3/4 inch thick football sized chunk of bondo fell out of her roof. She didnt seem upset about it as the car was like 10 years old- but I took pics/scanned the service papers, sent to Klaben Ford in Kent- not expecting anything on something so old at all, I mean the car was about wore out, just pissed at the work. the service manager actually replied, gave the blah,blah up to safety/appearance standards at time it was done,blah,blah,blah.

reason I was pissed at the work was, that tbird was 4 days old with 500 miles on the clock when the accident happened. 500 frickin miles and a pound of filler??? screw that.

unless you know the body shop, and ask to see the panel in metal before anything goes on, I'd be very leery of any body shops...paintless guys cant cheat, but even if it needs painted, you can be assured little if any filler will be needed after they work it out.
Old 03-03-2006, 12:22 AM
Thetics
2nd Gear Member

thanks for the help guys

-Thetics
Old 03-03-2006, 11:38 AM
Stooge
2nd Gear Member

PDR - paintless dent repair - sometimes works magic.

And believe it or not, oxydized/environmentally damaged paint can be prevented with allot of care (waxing/polishing) and elbow grease. If you're in a "bad" area for paint, plan on, at least, POLISHING and WAXING ONCE a month. No kidding!!
Old 03-03-2006, 12:18 PM
fairlane292
5th Gear Member

Yup, get an orbital like a PorterCable 7424; assorted pad set, McGuiars machine glaze (light cut, about a 1 on scale of 0-10) Use no-cut pad first; if a little more "oomph" is needed switch to light cut pad and then no cut pad, then polishing pad. Then a no cut glaze/polish and polishing pad, and you'll have a mirror finish. For scratches, let me know. I'll tell you how to get rid of them. ...Jim
Old 03-03-2006, 02:51 PM
chevykiller
I ♥ Acer

For the $400 bucks - I would definitely go with the dealer. Although the dealers are always a little higher you have the cushion of chain of command that you don't get at your mom & pa shops. If for some reason you're not satisfied with the job, it's a whole lot easier following a chain of command at a dealer than trying to get Joe shmoe to re-do it. When the dollar amount is within reason, I would go with the dealer if possible.
Old 03-03-2006, 03:06 PM
SPARTAN VI
4th Gear Member

Hm... I have some paint overspray directly over the driver door. I see it every day and it has barely gone down since I've bought my stang. Maybe it's time to visit the dealership.. again.
Old 03-03-2006, 04:52 PM
Thetics
2nd Gear Member

see im kind of a noob to all this fairlane. Alot of what u just said made no sense to me lol I guess ill have to have someone show me. Lol i feel helpless.

Quick Reply: Got a repair quote from Ford... yes or no?