Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Someone explain the whole Saleen obession to me...

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2006, 12:40 AM
lynwood78
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Someone explain the whole Saleen obession to me...

that's a +. I'm actually thinking of getting a saleen s/c in the near future.
ORIGINAL: nickd06

Hell ya man, I also have a Saleen for the WARRANTY! That is key no other Supercharged car has that
Old 03-04-2006, 12:48 AM
zanemoseley
2nd Gear Member

I don't care for the black plastic rear facia. You could just get a GT and have a Saleen SC'er added which from what I understand doesn't void the warranty. Actually if I had $53k to spend on a mustang I'd customize the hell outta it they way I wanted it not the way Saleen decided to.

As for the focus, it does have nitrous, I saw the tank in the hatch and the two injectors in the engine.
Old 03-04-2006, 01:08 AM
SilverR1_04
2nd Gear Member

When I was having a tough time finding my GT, I found a dealer with a Roush, called them up, they wanted $44K!! Yeah, for a stage 1. $16K for the exhaust, bumper and a less cool instrument cluster? Screw that!
Old 03-04-2006, 01:23 AM
stavros

ORIGINAL: MusiccityGT

I am more of a do it my way guy. I'd rather have a car that directly reflects my taste and personality than a carbon copy car.
you are right, you can save a lot of coin doing it your self and get what you want, but unfortunatly almost all of us will not be able to do a complete package as well as the pro's can build them, warrenty's and vin's some day you will want to sell and your car and the mods will be worth 20 cents on the dollar where the saleen package is not a mod
Old 03-04-2006, 01:39 AM
MusiccityGT
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: stavros

ORIGINAL: MusiccityGT

I am more of a do it my way guy. I'd rather have a car that directly reflects my taste and personality than a carbon copy car.
you are right, you can save a lot of coin doing it your self and get what you want, but unfortunatly almost all of us will not be able to do a complete package as well as the pro's can build them, warrenty's and vin's some day you will want to sell and your car and the mods will be worth 20 cents on the dollar where the saleen package is not a mod
No arguement there, but that for me is not what it is about. If I decide to get rid of the car I know the implications, but as someone who can do the mods and such it is a reflection of my own ability and yea, the pride of having done it myself is worth the eventual loss. I have had in the past a 69 Mach1, 69 Z-28 and a 70 Challenger R/T that I did complete restorations on and this time decided to start with something that did not need all the restoration work. Kinda like the difference between buying a turn key drag car or building one yourself.
Old 03-04-2006, 09:23 AM
cableguymicah
3rd Gear Member

Well how bout spending 53k and modding the hell out of it like me. Then Im the only guy with a modded saleen, you will prob hate on that. Its all abput preference. Go drive a saleen for a day and come back and tell me what you think, again the suspension is a worthy upgrade on that car alone, now the stage 1 rousch thats a little much for a kit and thats it, to each there own,start anotherpost that would helpful and dont post it in the tech site not really were it needs to be.
Old 03-04-2006, 09:34 AM
demarcom
2nd Gear Member

Ok, I have to chime in here. I think my obsession with Saleen's started in 1987 and I bought a 1989, so some of my loyalty is from the fact that Saleen has built the best handling and nicest looking (in my opinion) Mustangs since 1984. Almost every Fox body has a Saleen wing and maybe ground effects, and the same with the 90's cars, on and on. They are not known for drag racing (ever see a Saleen sponsored drag car??? no..) and are primarily known for their handling improvements.

OK, I have an 05 NA Vert and paid ~46K for it (listed for 48K). I also looked at an 05 loaded up Vert and it was $34K. So that's about 12-14K difference. Why? besides the name and rareness, resale value (sold my 89 for 15,500 when it was 6 years old and paid 22k for it). Also the price is significantly higher on the SN197 then the edge cars, probably due to the speculation that people will pay more for the SN197's. For 06 they jacked the same Saleen I bought in 05 about $2,500 and I guess they keep selling.

Do it yourself Saleen: (forgive me on the installation prices)
Suspension: 800 + 200 to install = 1000
Custom center Exhaust: 1000 + install 200
Wheels: about 1700 for the 20's
Tires: $350 a pop = 1400
Ground effects: they are not painted, so you have to have that done. Kit = 1200 + install and paint maybe another 750-1000?
Seats: how the stock ones should be boulsterd: 1000 each? hell throw in the back seat for free.
There a conservative Premium fuel tune, UDP, and a K&N filter, but not much else.

So the tally is give or take 10K+tax and Shipping, blah, blah. If you do all these mods yourself you now have a clone Saleen which is fine, but for a bit more you can a real deal with better resale value (get your 4K difference back at least)

Dont get me wrong, I love what folks have done to their Mustangs (and love reading about everyones customizing adventures), and maybe for a percentage of the cost of a Saleen you have a car that is truely unique and "yours". To each his own.

While Im ranting everyone is busting on Saleen and Roush because their superchargers are whimpy from the factory with very little boost, bad tune etc. YEAH! They need to warranty that sucker and beyond that PASS ALL Kinds of CARB and other regulations for emissions. Does anyone realize how expensive it is to get a car approved for sale through dealers with all the emissions standards? As soon as you put a CAI on your car you wont pass inspection (read the fine print). A custom tune probably blows that away also....

Anyway, everyone enjoy your Mustangs GT, Roush, Saleen, V6, etc. Consumer Reports and 89% of Mustang owners would buy again, and I think that's true (it in 2nd place behind the Vet at 93%). Oh and the Mustang was "recomended" in CR. Not that I put a lot of value in their car reviews but its something usually reserved for Japanese cars in that mag.
Old 03-04-2006, 09:49 AM
RICVA05
3rd Gear Member

I would love to have a Saleen. People who own Mustangs should be very happy that Saleen and others like them is making these cars without them do you thank the aftermarket would be where it is at now.
Old 03-04-2006, 12:20 PM
MusiccityGT
4th Gear Member

Don't get me wrong. I am not Saleen bashing at all. Heck, I will give my left nut for an 07 Shelby! Gotta keep the right one to justify driving one. lol... By all means, if you want a Saleen get one! If you own one great. Congratulations! I could have plopped down $50 k for a turn key, just decided to do it different. Don't hate me cause I am different -

[sm=shades.gif][sm=shootshoot.gif]
Old 03-04-2006, 02:31 PM
bebrown1075
1st Gear Member

I have been a Mustang fan since I was in my early teens. In the late 80's and early 90's, a Saleen was the end all be all of Mustangs. I remember looking at a white hatch with blue graphics and just feel in love from that point on. I bought my first Mustang in 1998. It was a shiny new Chrome Yellow Cobra with black leather interior. It started my additction to Mustangs. I have done just about all I can to the car and still enjoy the car as much as I did when I got it almost 10 years ago now. I was originally going to hold out for a GT500, but the production car is not near as sexy as the show car from New York last year. Plus the dealers are going into a feeding frenzy over it. Last fall I decided to abandon the Shelby and go find my Unicorn of Mustangs. I have had a few shots at getting one over the years but it never worked out. So I started looking for a dealer to work with to order my dream. After many dealers and hours of reading these forums I found the right dealer. I ordered my Performance White 06 s281 supercharged Saleen in August of 2005. Because I wanted the Shaker 1000 audio and with the late release of the charcoal IUP I ordered the car instead of taking one from Saleen stock. The car was finally built at the end of January 2006 at Saleen Specilaty Vehicles here in Michigan. I had the pleasure of being able to be at Saleen on build day to see my car getting converted. It was an experience like no other. On January 24th my dream came true and I became the proud owner of car #202. A Performance White s281-SC with blue graphics and white wheels. With the suspension upgrades, the big brakes, the body kit and hood, hid's, wheels and tires. supercharger complete with a warranty was just too appealing to me. Plus with there only being around 1000 Saleen's made, you don't pass yourself driving all the time. If you are shy this car is NOT for you. It draws alot of attention and people love to ask about it. It is not a car for everyone. We all drive what we enjoy and thats all that matters!! Wether its a Saleen, a Roush, a Foose, a Cobra, a GT, a V6 or any other variation as long as you enjoy your car no one can take that away from you!!

Here are some links to my baby

http://photobucket.com/albums/c87/be.../Saleen/Build/
http://photobucket.com/albums/c87/be...5/Saleen/Home/

Brad

Quick Reply: Someone explain the whole Saleen obession to me...