Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

i think i hurt my baby

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2006, 10:38 PM
DDT

Default RE: i think i hurt my baby

Chrisc,

Simply driving around may not immediately reveal a problem. If I were you I'd do an inspection of your tranny and the rest of your drive train. I'd drain your transmission fluid and thoroughly inspect for metal shavings. Remove the tranny filter and inspect as well. If no shavings are found, install a new filter with new fluid and you should be able to rest assured that no damage occured. If shavings are present...bad news. You damaged your tranny and should get it fixed as soon a possible before it becomes a big problem and a much more expensive repair because you didn't catch it early enough.

Old 03-07-2006, 10:51 PM
chrisc
5th Gear Member

yeah, i asked my dad about this and he told me the same thing too, i was going to give it to ford until the end of the week anyways so i will ask them to check that too
Old 03-08-2006, 12:45 AM
dkano
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: chrisc
haha i actually still won because right after i realized, i poped into D and kept on going, he was actually behind me for the entire time...older integra with a fart can...
now that's funny! A Mustang that can beat a ricer while the Mustang is going in Reverse!!
Do get your car checked out, that's still a good story though, just don't try it again!
Old 03-08-2006, 01:16 AM
andyman
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: DanDaMan

ORIGINAL: chrisc

... i was holding down the button, and accidentally went into R [:@][:@]...

Don't hold down the button next time. [sm=insomnia.gif] If I'm not mistaken the 'D' position in the auto's is the low point on the track ladder. You'll notice that you can go from 'R' to 'N' to 'D' but not back (or further) without holding in the button. Also you can go from '1' to '2' to '3' to 'D' also with out pressing the button but also not back.

To visualize (ignore the periods), it's like this (I think):

--P--............................--1--
......--R--................--2--
...........--N--......--3--
.................--D--

So, next time, when in 1st gear, if you so decide to continue this practice, just push forward all the way into 'D' without using the button.

I've been known to start in '1' and "bump it up" with the butt of my hand when I reach or near redline.[sm=guilty.gif] Try it while parked.
What he said

You only have to push the button twice.... once to get it out of park, then you can release the button and just yank it back, and when you come out of drive. if you have it in first, you can just nudge it forward with out pushing the button, or just slam it forward (without touching the button at all) and go back to drive.
Old 03-08-2006, 04:24 PM
Professor Wizard
MF Moderator

WELL...

NOW you know... for sure..

[R] does NOT stand for RACE!

Old 03-13-2006, 02:01 AM
GTowner4life
3rd Gear Member

Today i was merging on the freeway and i was at 4,000 in third and tried to put it into forth but it ended up in second. I let the clutch out and quickly put it back in after i saw the rpm's hit red line and realized what i had done. I noticed my shift know was not even in the center. It was around the 3:00 position inseatd of 12 (center) which is why i think it ended up in second. Could this of caused any serious damage to my car?
Old 03-13-2006, 03:23 AM
blackout
5th Gear Member

Doing it once won't hurt most of the time. I've done that with past cars and I catch myself before I completely let off the clutch. Had you already completely let off the clutch, or did you also catch yourself before letting off?
Old 03-13-2006, 04:23 AM
GTowner4life
3rd Gear Member

I cought myself but the still hit red line. Does the rev-limiter have anything to do if it is put into to low of a gear or only if you are accerlating?
Old 03-13-2006, 04:30 AM
blackout
5th Gear Member

The rev-limiter should prevent ANY mistakes when hitting redline to a certain point. So the car should be fine since you've only done it once and thanks to the handy rev-limiter.
Old 03-13-2006, 04:31 AM
GTowner4life
3rd Gear Member

what do you mean by a certain point? Shoudl i be woried about my transmishion at all?

Quick Reply: i think i hurt my baby