Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Nitrous System

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2006, 09:41 AM
F00Mustang
3rd Gear Member

Default New Nitrous System

NOS has developed a new Nitrous System for the GT. I'm eager to know if this kit is any good as a long time fan of NOS and holley.
I know the jets that it comes with are smaller than the ZEX kit, but I think that because this is a solenoid system, it also has more potential.
Anyone seen or heard anything about this setup.
Old 03-10-2006, 10:31 AM
Twister086
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: New Nitrous System

thats the first ive seen it, im going email tech support and ask them how long before they will have bigger jets (up to 150hp) i would feel much more comfortable with a NOS system then ZEX... thanks for the info though f00mustang!!
Old 03-10-2006, 11:57 AM
chevykiller
I ♥ Acer

I have had a NOS system for over 6 months. They are coming out with the 'GT Kit' to help sales but the truth is the standard NOS set-up can be integrated into our cars or any car for that matter. Anyone familiar with installing NOS can can set it up. I have 150 fogger jets and the a NOS set-up on our cars can go as big as you want. The set-up is the same, it is just the jets you change.
Old 03-10-2006, 12:08 PM
F00Mustang
3rd Gear Member

Hew KIller

Did you need to run an external fuel supply for the standard kit, or does it still use the OEM fuel rails for gas.
Old 03-10-2006, 12:28 PM
chevykiller
I ♥ Acer

I have -8 fuel lines now and CPR fuel rails but didn't when I installed the NOS. It works fine. You just tap into your stock fuel rails the same as you would tap into any fuel rail on any car. NOS is only advertising now because their sales for the 05/06 stangs has been killed by ZEX. ZEX was tricky and smart and used 'for the 05 mustang' in all their advertising so people assumed you needed a special kit for our cars. NOS is now trying to catch up and doing the same thing. A NOS system can go on ANY car. The fundamentals of nitrous and where it sprays are the same. The actual mechanics of it (cooling fuel) isn't affected by car design and nozzels and jets have always been interchangeable.

I'm pretty sure what ZEX (and now the new NOS) kit are marketing is a fully ready kit with a 100 shot ready to go. Wit the NOS, you buy all the components you want and then install it. Their just putting all the pieces in one box and calling it a 05/06 mustang kit. They can back their kit this way knowing full well a 100 shot isn't going to hurt your stock internals. But no matter what kit you go with, you cvan easily change your jets to any size you want - even 500! What your bottom end is going to handle is another story though...
Old 03-10-2006, 12:51 PM
zanemoseley
2nd Gear Member

So how damaging is a 100 shot now and then for the engine? Also can someone tell me how nitrous works, do you just flip it on when you want it or does it have to "warm up"?
Old 03-10-2006, 01:14 PM
chevykiller
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: zanemoseley

So how damaging is a 100 shot now and then for the engine? Also can someone tell me how nitrous works, do you just flip it on when you want it or does it have to "warm up"?
You still need a good tune for it cause your a/f goes all over the place but your stock bottom end will handle a 100 shot and that's why these "new miustang kits' come as a 100 shot. Nitrous works by supercooling and the 'warm up' you're always hearing about is talking about the bottle and pressure. Nitrous can be set-up mnay different ways and the safest and best for our cars IMO is an electronic window switch. This is a failry cheap device ($100-$150) that monitors the nitrous flow once it's engaged with adjustable settings. For example, you set your switch for 3000 - 5800 and once you flip the switch, your nitrous sprays when you hit 3000 rpm and disengages the spray when you hit 5800 rpm. It will calculate these on and offs throughtout your shifts at WOT. Other peopel like 'fly by wire' which is having one switch to activate your niutrous and then another switch (usually right by the shifter) to control the spray and you hold down the button when you want spray and release when you want it to stop. (VERY DANGEROUS FOR YOUR MOTOR)

Nitrous will work immediatedly when you want it but you're always hearing about 'warm up' - this is why you need at least a bottle blanket and/or bottle warmer. The temperature of your bottle reflects your nitrous pressure inside your bottle. You want optimal pressure to get the most HP out of your shot. Keeping the bottle warm is essential to getting the most HP out of your spray. Bottle warmers are the best and they are basically little heaters that keep your bottle at optimum temp. I personally use a bottle warmer AND a bottle blanket. Nitrous is great and cost effective for on-demand power. Make sure if you get it done, go with an installer with lots of experience because there is a lot more to it then just a simple kit install. The tune for one, and you will definitely want a purge kit. A good sytem should cost you around $1000-$1500 installed with all the goodies. (including blow back saftey valve and clean install) Nothing worse than a crappy install that looks rice.
Old 03-10-2006, 01:59 PM
FMullegun

I am waiting on the NX kit. Plate system that is barless.
Old 03-10-2006, 06:06 PM
F00Mustang
3rd Gear Member

BTW, if you read up on the NOS kit link I posted before, this new system comes with a window switch. Allways a good investment especially on a stick. All it takes is one missed shift. Kaboom
Old 03-10-2006, 06:55 PM
zanemoseley
2nd Gear Member

Thanks for all the info guys. It sounds like for the average daily driver that likes to whip *** sometimes the nitrous may be better than a charger since the engine isn't always boosted.

So say you had a NA engine that produced 400rwhp when shot with nitrous and on the other hand you had a boosted engine running 400rwhp all the time. Would they both create equal wear and potential for extreme damage when on WOT?

Quick Reply: New Nitrous System