Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinking about at Mustang... suggestions/input, please!

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2006, 04:30 PM
eurekablyth

Default Thinking about at Mustang... suggestions/input, please!

I currently drive a 2005 New Beetle Convertible, and it's been a huge problem (I've had to take it back to VW for "work" three times in three months [:@]). I'm looking into other convertibles, and I'm considering a 2005 Mustang Convertible (18,000 miles on it). I had a blast test driving it, but some things that worry me are the back seat (hard to get into) and the gas mileage... I've read that it's around 29mpg on the highway but... c'mon... what do you guys normally get?

Can you help me out with some pros/cons of the vehicle? I'll be putting a lot of miles on whatever I get, and I want something fun, but not something I *need* to put a lot of time/energy into (meaning I don't want to make constant trips to the *#$^! dealer).

Any input is welcome! Thanks in advance!
Old 03-14-2006, 04:51 PM
Bullitt06

Default RE: Thinking about at Mustang... suggestions/input, please!

1st of all, WELCOME TO THE CLUB . Definately dump the Vdub!!! I have an 06 GT and get about 15 around town but can get 17 if I'm good. I havn't tried to check for freeway milage because I havn't gone on a long trip but I would guess around 25 or so. Say isn't 18,000 a little heavy for a 1 yr. old car? Hope you took that into consideration when you offer the $$$$. Just My .02 By the way, you need to fill out your profile so we know a little about you, like your name. Is it Blyth from Eurika Ca? John
Old 03-14-2006, 05:01 PM
eurekablyth

Well the one I test drove had 18,000 - not specifically the one I'd be getting if I do get one. And "eurekablyth" is an anagram of my first & last name :-)

Thanks for the tips. Yeah, I know I gotta get rid of the Beetle, but I'm still attached to the cute factor of it - you know, the girlie look out my window and squeal because "OMG IT'S A BEETLE"? I'm so pathetic, I know.
Old 03-14-2006, 05:56 PM
Big Red
2nd Gear Member

as for gas mileage I can get like 15ish in the city but if you start pushing it it drops fast, on the highway Im doing like 22-24mpg, however its only 4 weeks old with 700 miles on it so I think its supposed to get better once its broken in.

Before this car I had a 91 sentra, a 2000 Focus sedan and a 2002 Focus Hatchback and compared to those the Stang feels like a BOAT when trying to park it and stuff, but on the road it actually handles really well and the extra power is great. I wish I couldve gotten the vert but too expensive for me.
Old 03-14-2006, 05:58 PM
Big Red
2nd Gear Member

oh yeah and one more thing, if youre considering going brand new 06 V6, definately look into the Pony Package, you get a LOT of great stuff for not too much extra money, like sway bars, foglights, chromed out grille, 17 inch Bullit wheels, spoiler, tape stripe.
Old 03-14-2006, 06:25 PM
JStang78
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Big Red

as for gas mileage I can get like 15ish in the city but if you start pushing it it drops fast, on the highway Im doing like 22-24mpg, however its only 4 weeks old with 700 miles on it so I think its supposed to get better once its broken in.

Before this car I had a 91 sentra, a 2000 Focus sedan and a 2002 Focus Hatchback and compared to those the Stang feels like a BOAT when trying to park it and stuff, but on the road it actually handles really well and the extra power is great. I wish I couldve gotten the vert but too expensive for me.
You said it, about how this car feels like a boat! I traded in a ZX2 for the Mustang, and the first thing I thought when I went for the test drive was, "WOW...I didn't realize this was this big of a car!" Fortunately, I've only been in a paralell parking situation once, and I went back to my old ways of three trips around the block until I found an end-spot I could easily park at. I treat my car like it's made of glass...

I've had my V6 Mustang about two months now, and city driving (morning and evening suburban Chicago rush hour) I get a steady 17-18 mpg. Straight highway driving, with almost no regular road driving during on the tank of gas I got exactly 25 mpg both to and from my destination at a steady 65-75 mph on the highway.

Old 03-14-2006, 06:31 PM
blackout
5th Gear Member

I get about 15-17 in the city depending on how i'm driving and how many lights I hit. Highway I get about 24 mpg. The car is amazing you won't be disapointed.
Old 03-14-2006, 06:36 PM
Tres Wright
4th Gear Member

I get 24-26 consistently (V6), much of my drive to work is on the highway. I've had it on one road trip and think I eked 27 or 28 out of it.

==the back seat (hard to get into) ==

Yup, it is. Not hardly any leg room in back either. It's fine for kids, but not much fun for adults. The vert doesn't have armrests in back either (due to the top well).

==Can you help me out with some pros/cons of the vehicle?==

Well, it's a lot of fun to drive. 20k miles on mine and I still enjoy driving it. Everyone seems to love Mustangs and even non-car people know what it is. It's got a ton of curb appeal, a great conversation starter. Also LOTS of mod's available for it! Only thing I can think of on the downside is the mileage could certainly be better, and they all seem to have annoying sqeaks & rattles that are tough to track down. These Mustangs have a way of getting under your skin though, you'll bond with it in a way that will surprise you. You'll understand after a while why Mustangs have such a diehard following
Old 03-14-2006, 09:22 PM
MikeVistaBlue06
I ♥ Acer

In my stock GT (with the hoss V8 and 3.31 gear) with less than 1000 miles on the odometer, I was getting 24mpg at 80mph and 22mpg running 90mph.

If this is a V6, you should not have trouble getting 30mpg at a steady 60 mph on the highway.

Hope this helps.

Mike
Old 03-14-2006, 09:48 PM
BlackB-U-TEE_06
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: eurekablyth

I currently drive a 2005 New Beetle Convertible, and it's been a huge problem (I've had to take it back to VW for "work" three times in three months [:@]). I'm looking into other convertibles, and I'm considering a 2005 Mustang Convertible (18,000 miles on it). I had a blast test driving it, but some things that worry me are the back seat (hard to get into) and the gas mileage... I've read that it's around 29mpg on the highway but... c'mon... what do you guys normally get?

Can you help me out with some pros/cons of the vehicle? I'll be putting a lot of miles on whatever I get, and I want something fun, but not something I *need* to put a lot of time/energy into (meaning I don't want to make constant trips to the *#$^! dealer).

Any input is welcome! Thanks in advance!
i don't think they advertize the GT as getting 29mpg...that must be the V6 you're talking about. I personally have a GT, and get around 17mpg in town and 22/23 mpg on the freeway, which is not bad at all for such a monster of an engine.

i can't really speak for the new V6, but i had a '98 V6 and had no problem getting 29/30 mpg on long stretches of freeway. i assume the new V6 gets a little less than that, but it's probably still very close.

as someone said above, if you're looking at getting the V6 as opposed to the GT, definitely get the "pony package" - comes with a lot of extras that really give it a nicer look.

Quick Reply: Thinking about at Mustang... suggestions/input, please!