Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The end of SVT?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2006, 05:30 PM
JStang78
2nd Gear Member

Default The end of SVT?

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...ticleId=109512
Old 03-14-2006, 05:41 PM
Big Red
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: The end of SVT?

Yeah it sucks, I mean, Id probably never have the cash to afford an SVT, but like anyone else, I enjoy seeing and hearing a Cobra fly by every and then, or see the rare (around here) SVT Focus cruising down the road.
Old 03-14-2006, 05:46 PM
351PONY
2nd Gear Member

Oh, say it ain't so...
Old 03-14-2006, 05:58 PM
RICVA05
3rd Gear Member

I e-mailed ford a letter a week ago and this was there response maybe if enough people mailed ford and raised hell things might change.

https://secure.ford.com/en/support/emailUs.htm

Dear John,

Thank you for contacting the Ford Motor Company Customer Relationship Center regarding our SVT program.

Ford Motor Company appreciates hearing from our customers, especially when customers provide us with valuable ideas and insight. Information of this nature is collected and used in the decision making process by all departments of Ford. We sincerely thank you for taking the time to write to us with your suggestion.

We consider the satisfaction of our customers one of our most important objectives. If you have any other inquiries or concerns, please feel free to contact us and we will be happy to address them for you.

Sincerely,
Karen
Customer Relationship Center
Ford Motor Company

Old 03-14-2006, 06:04 PM
VaporDude
5th Gear Member

Sorry but I see form letter. It was probably a delayed automatic response and not really a human returning that e-mail. I have written to Ford on several occations and got the same response.
Old 03-14-2006, 06:06 PM
demarcom
2nd Gear Member

That's very sad news. I always thought SVT was the one American manuf. team who "got it right" many more times than not. Now it's going to be tough to watch Chrysler's SRT and Chevy's SS badges take over. But who knows maybe they will come up with something new and exciting, like bring back SVO!
Old 03-14-2006, 06:06 PM
Big Red
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: RICVA05

I e-mailed ford a letter a week ago and this was there response maybe if enough people mailed ford and raised hell things might change.

https://secure.ford.com/en/support/emailUs.htm

Dear John,

Thank you for contacting the Ford Motor Company Customer Relationship Center regarding our SVT program.

Ford Motor Company appreciates hearing from our customers, especially when customers provide us with valuable ideas and insight. Information of this nature is collected and used in the decision making process by all departments of Ford. We sincerely thank you for taking the time to write to us with your suggestion.

We consider the satisfaction of our customers one of our most important objectives. If you have any other inquiries or concerns, please feel free to contact us and we will be happy to address them for you.

Sincerely,
Karen
Customer Relationship Center
Ford Motor Company

Well I just submitted this, I doubt it goes very high up but maybe if they get enough theyll rethink it, of course if its just not possible froma business standpoint, I guess thats the way it has to be.

I recently heard of Ford's cancellation of the SVT program. Im no businessman, and Ill probably never be able to afford an SVT automobile, but I think it would be better to keep it around in some form. How else will Ford compete on the performance front with SRT and SS models? I think you should reconsider killing SVT, or at least find some other sort of performance brand name to put on higher end performance models like the SRTs and SS. You may even be able to use the GT name as its already used on the high performance Mustangs, and of course the Ford GT. Like throw a Turbo charger into a Fusion and call it the Ford Fusion GT. Just a few ideas Im throwing out there because I think killing SVT without some sort of replacement will remove Ford from the performance market entirely and eventually you know youre going to want to break back into it.
Old 03-14-2006, 06:09 PM
JStang78
2nd Gear Member

I was a big fan of the Contour SVT myself, but was in the unfortunate position of shopping for one in '02, after they were all out of production. I couldn't find one that was the "perfect" mix of model year/mileage/price for me, and the SVT Focus was just coming out (the SVT dealership I was going to managed to get just one) so unfortuantely, I never got one. I had some hopes, with the Fusion and the Focus RS in Europe, that they had a couple of good platforms to expand beyond just the 'Stang, as they were in the late 90s.

I had a sinking feeling the last time I went to my local dealership to get service, back around December, and they had emptied out their SVT showroom (they still had '03 and '04 Cobras and Lightnings after their model years). That was a great place to blow some time while waiting for the car.

Ric -- Good suggestion. After all, the people are what got "Family Guy" back on t.v., right?
Old 03-14-2006, 06:13 PM
VaporDude
5th Gear Member

Has anyone ever thought of Ford getting out of the highly competative car market and just produce trucks? That is where they are making all their money right now. Look at the stats, the truck sales seem to always out perform the car sales by around 2 to 1. Since they are better selling trucks than cars, don't you think this might be the route they are looking to in the future? Maybe they should go into the specialty car market and get away from the luxury cars. Sure they would loose alot of workers and factories, but the truck market for them is what is keeping them alive.
Old 03-14-2006, 06:16 PM
JStang78
2nd Gear Member

Depends on what trucks. Pickup trucks and fleet utilities, sure. But according to several articles I read regarding the most-recent downsizing, trucks like the Navigator, Excursion, Explorer and Mountaineer were largely to blame for the current financial crisis. The Excursion was a mistake from the get-go, IMO. They already had a line of vans out there...no need to throw a lift on it and give it a longer hood and call it something else.

Quick Reply: The end of SVT?