Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How many of you can "CLUTCHLESS SHIFT" in your GT's? Have you heard of this technique?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2006, 07:02 PM
TinPony
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: How many of you can "CLUTCHLESS SHIFT" in your GT's? Have you heard of this technique?

I'm an expert at it in my 87 Nissan P/U with 200K on the tranny, Just the right RPM's and its jsut like you clutched, I can get thru all 5 gears. I would never try this in my Mustang because it serves no purpose and is a BIG RISK of miscalculating.
Old 03-16-2006, 09:44 PM
MikeVistaBlue06
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: How many of you can "CLUTCHLESS SHIFT" in your GT's? Have you heard of this technique?

If you want a clutchless shift you need to get yourself a Jerico transmission installed. That's what the boys in NASCAR use, especially at the road racin' tracks where they shift a lot. Basically you quickly lift n' shift!

Mike
Old 03-16-2006, 09:45 PM
MikeVistaBlue06
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: Tres Wright

Yes, everyone that does this please report in. Hang on, let me go get my "Guys Not To Buy Used Cars From" list first
+1 big time!!
Old 03-16-2006, 10:11 PM
ThisBlood147
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Tres Wright

Yes, everyone that does this please report in. Hang on, let me go get my "Guys Not To Buy Used Cars From" list first
+10......completely pointless to try and do in a perfectly good car with a perfectly good transmission. Trust me, no one will think you are uncool if you don't know how to do this in your mustang. And if they do, just tell them "Sorry, but I prefer not to chunk my new tranny every 1000 miles".
Old 03-16-2006, 10:46 PM
blackfoot
4th Gear Member

i clutchless shift al the time, its better for your car as long as you dont mess up and grind your gears, clutch life is extended x5 matching RPM is easy upshifting, take off in first, and when you want to shift, with your foot steady not accelerating (enough to not put load on your tranny) side your shifter out of first, as you hit neutral release the gas, but continue to move your hand towards 2nd.. hold moderate constant pressure as your rpms drop to match road speed for the next gear it will simply fall in, and repeat all the way to 5th...

downshifting.. slowdown, bring your rpm somewhere below 2 grand, with your foot steady again slide to neutral, give a shot of gas maybe around 4000 if your learning (youll know the apprx rpm you want to be around the more you do it and pay attention where you shifter falls in gear) release the throtle, and with your hand already holding pressure to the lower next gear say 5th to 4th, as the rpms drop so the engine matchs road speed for that gear it will fall in.

now if your applying pressure to hard you may grind or too less you may grind also, the feel comes with learing

typically transmission should only have synchros in 1st (like tractor trailers) (well int hat case low) lol full use of the transmission can safely be used without the clutch.. but if you grind to often or once too hard youll find yourself with a broken sych and chiped teeth on your output shaft
Old 03-16-2006, 10:50 PM
blackfoot
4th Gear Member

i shouldnt say safely.. lol i dont know about most of those drivers out on the roads!!.. lol i swear somepeople are better off with a wheel barrow liscnece
Old 03-16-2006, 11:38 PM
chrisc
5th Gear Member

i had a friend who had no idea what a standard car was, and thought that the clutch was, what he called, "a weak-*** break"

so yeah, you can sift without using the clutch...but you will end up trashing your car
Old 03-16-2006, 11:51 PM
AmericanMuscle4.6GT
5th Gear Member

my friend does it in his 04 acura RSX type S. upshifting, downshifting, rev matching, hes pro. shows off bigtime, he's good at it too.

But now his tranny is in questionable shape, he nees to replace 3 synchros.

moral of the story: 8,000 RPM clutch drop burnouts and repeated clutchless shifting=not good for tranny.
Old 03-17-2006, 12:05 AM
Hopen4low12s
1st Gear Member

I drive around town doing it.... no grinding no nothing it just slips right into gear if you use the clutch just watch ur rpm go from first to send or something and notice if for example you shift out of first at 4000 rpms when u put it into 2nd and let the clutch out watch the rpms were it goes it will drop just like without the clutch take it out at 4 and the syncros will open up and let it slide right in at a certain rpm....
Old 03-17-2006, 12:43 AM
Big Red
2nd Gear Member

I rev match, but I still use my clutch, its not that hard and it saves the wear on your transmission, and the transmission is a lot more $$$ than the clutch =/

Quick Reply: How many of you can "CLUTCHLESS SHIFT" in your GT's? Have you heard of this technique?