Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mustang's weakness: RAIN? :(

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2006, 01:16 PM
4wheelkillr
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Mustang's weakness: RAIN? :(

ORIGINAL: persistantthug

I've had my 06' GT for 45 days now and I love it, but I notice It doesn't seem to do very well in the rain. Today it was raining pretty hard and it periodically slips and veers from side to side. I noticed it did that a couple weeks ago as well and I'm not even driving too fast, sometimes as slow as 50 mph. Its quite nerve racking.

Anyone else notice this or is it just me?
Yeah see this is a very very common and well known problem with these new mustang GT's and I'm pretty sure Ford is NEVER going to be able to fix it...

It's called: LEAD FOOT SYNDROME

Don't push your flippin' foot down so hard and you won't have ANY problems. I live and drive in the snow and driving cautiously I rarely get even the tiniest of slippage and lost traction.
Old 03-17-2006, 01:30 PM
KFC
1st Gear Member

In western Washington you either drive in the rain or you don't drive you car for 8-10 months out of the year. I've never broken the rear end loose on accident .
Old 03-17-2006, 01:31 PM
Silky_Johnston
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Wicked Pony

My car handles very well in the snow (with 90 lbs of kitty litter in the trunk) and rain (no kitty litter), but I have a V-6. Even with the crappy BF Goodrich tires it handles well. [:'(]
That is another reason I didn't want a GT (price was the main factor).
I thought that putting extra weight in the trunk of a car was a bad idea...I had heard that today's cars are engineered such that the extra weight could cause problems in snowy situations...

Anybody know otherwise???
Old 03-17-2006, 01:35 PM
stangman05
1st Gear Member

I have to agree with the Professor on this. You have to learn to drive with a car like the pony. Its the same with any muscle car dating back to the sixties.
Old 03-17-2006, 03:15 PM
Wicked Pony
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Silky_Johnston

ORIGINAL: Wicked Pony

My car handles very well in the snow (with 90 lbs of kitty litter in the trunk) and rain (no kitty litter), but I have a V-6. Even with the crappy BF Goodrich tires it handles well. [:'(]
That is another reason I didn't want a GT (price was the main factor).
I thought that putting extra weight in the trunk of a car was a bad idea...I had heard that today's cars are engineered such that the extra weight could cause problems in snowy situations...

Anybody know otherwise???
I never heard of that. Anybody else here anything about extra weight. I know it lowers gas mileage which sucks cause gas is exspensive [sm=smiley6.gif][sm=feedback.gif]
Old 03-17-2006, 05:15 PM
Redfire
3rd Gear Member

Up here in eastern Washington, its common as hell to put weight in the back of a pickup or even a car. But it works only with rear wheel drive. Right now, I have 350 pounds of sand in the back of my Chevy!
Old 03-17-2006, 05:39 PM
6xStang
3rd Gear Member

Rain is a weakness for any rear-drive musclecar with big tires. Not a mustang problem, just a physics problem.

Fact: Weight in the back improves traction. It is quite commonly done. Negative effects on handling? Possibly, but so does passengers and normal cargo. As long as you are not exceeding your GVWR rating, the car is safe and roadable with the wieght. If you are driving on the street and close enough to the hairy edge for a hundred pounds in the trunk to hurt you, then you are going down anyway.

Skinnier snow tires or winter tires are also a big help, in snow and in rain. Less contact area means more punds per square inch which displaces water and snow through the treads faster....putting rubber in contact with the road. That's why drag slicks make deadly street tires.......

D

Old 03-17-2006, 05:46 PM
girliemustang
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: persistantthug

I've had my 06' GT for 45 days now and I love it, but I notice It doesn't seem to do very well in the rain. Today it was raining pretty hard and it periodically slips and veers from side to side. I noticed it did that a couple weeks ago as well and I'm not even driving too fast, sometimes as slow as 50 mph. Its quite nerve racking.

Anyone else notice this or is it just me?

Maybe you should slow down some more in the rain. That would help.. The car has a lot of power and with rain or snow you are just asking for trouble. Be safe.

girliemustang

[IMG]local://upfiles/26135/0B662097481E4FEC8A2FEB7F0B4F899A.jpg[/IMG]
Old 03-17-2006, 06:05 PM
Stoenr
5th Gear Member

These will help tremendously in the rain, along with learning the feel of your car.

Goodyear Eagle F1 GS D3's

Old 03-17-2006, 07:55 PM
DuBaI
1st Gear Member

Stoenr--- i think these tires are noisy in the highway are'nt they?

it was raining today and damn i hated my mustang.
seems ill change to goodyear and ill get bit wider.

Quick Reply: Mustang's weakness: RAIN? :(