Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MAC muffler install impressions - UPDATED

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2006, 05:36 PM
viking396
5th Gear Member

Default MAC muffler install impressions - UPDATED

Ok, I've had them for a few weeks now, finally got a day nice enough to install the CDC sequentials (which are more like chase in my opinion but are still cool)... then came the MAC's...

I got the passenger side installed, no problem, holy crow it's big! I couldn't get my hand to fit above the drivers side muffler so now I have a factory muffler and a huge MAC muffler installed. I'm going to cut bait and take it to a muffler shop and get it done right. I know others have had no issue with this install but damn it seems closer in mine than I have seen on others.
Old 03-20-2006, 06:51 PM
Daniel60
5th Gear Member

Default RE: MAC muffler install impressions

Mine I had welded on. The installers at the muffler shop said they didn't line up correctley with the hangers. Get ready to enjoy the volume because they sure as hell louder than stock.
Old 03-20-2006, 07:57 PM
CarsandCigars
1st Gear Member

Viking: Let us know what your shop tells you. I was planning on installing the MAC's this spring. I'm not real excited about going to a muffler shop though. [:@] Has anyone else had this issue with the axle-back MACS? Say that 3 X.

Know other axle-backs that are easy installs? I'm interested in Hookers but it seems like no one sells the axle backs.

/
Old 03-21-2006, 07:40 PM
viking396
5th Gear Member

Agreed, they do not line up well from MAC, I can't get my hands in there so I've been calling around. Tuffy's in Elgin wants a full half hour pay to install 1 muffler and he didn't sound very happy about doing it, so I won't be going there. I'm going to call a few more places, maybe the NAPA service center in South Elgin, they're nice guys who knows.

As for the sound, I have one installed and the car is now twice as loud as before, WOW, that's more than I expected! It's going to be nuts with them both!
Old 03-21-2006, 10:04 PM
Stroken97
1st Gear Member

I didn't have problems and the line up was fine. Lining up the Mac you had to make sure the Mac was all the way on the pipe up to the stock nipple. If you don't hold it there when you tighten the clamp it will come off about 1/4 and the mac will be out of line. I just wiggled it in the hangers and then made sure it was against the nipple. I used a box end wwrench to tighten it because i kept moving it with a ratchet.
Old 03-21-2006, 10:18 PM
viking396
5th Gear Member

Agreed, however mine don't appear to have been welded by someone who took measurments. I got the passenger one correctly on only after adjusting the welded hangers.
Old 03-22-2006, 12:03 AM
topless05GT
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Stroken97

I didn't have problems and the line up was fine. Lining up the Mac you had to make sure the Mac was all the way on the pipe up to the stock nipple. If you don't hold it there when you tighten the clamp it will come off about 1/4 and the mac will be out of line. I just wiggled it in the hangers and then made sure it was against the nipple. I used a box end wwrench to tighten it because i kept moving it with a ratchet.
+1

I had the same experience doing mine. The toughest part was having the patience to use the wrench cuz it was the only thing that fit in the tight space.
Old 03-22-2006, 01:26 AM
Rezalien
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Stroken97

not trying to hijack or anything...but that's one of the best lines (in bold) I've read on this forum tonight! [8D]
very funny

Peace!
Old 03-22-2006, 05:48 PM
viking396
5th Gear Member

Well, just got back from getting mine installed at J. Martin in South Elgin, they took off the nubs that the factory mufflers used in the hopes to get more pipe to grip. For mufflers costing so damn much they don't give you much to clamp with.

We tossed the crap MAC clamps and used clamps like those used by Ford which do a much better job of holding them in place.

Now for my impressions, HOLY SCHNIKIES ARE THEY LOUD!!!!! If you're afraid of drone these won't be for you, unless you're driving on a very flat road you'll be dipping into the throttle now and then and when you do the drone is POWERFUL. If you want your car to sound badass, these are what the doctor ordered.
Old 03-22-2006, 07:05 PM
bushbanger
2nd Gear Member

I put mine on last thursday night and they do sound killer

Quick Reply: MAC muffler install impressions - UPDATED