Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Scratched... need touch up paint.

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2006, 04:38 PM
fairlane292
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Scratched... need touch up paint.

If it's only in the clearcoat (as it sounds) do not put any color to it. Clear only; It might be repaired with 2000 grit and polish (by a detail pro) under $50 and like new. ...putting anything on it you could easily be going backwards. I think you might be rushing into this repair; I'm just suggesting you do not rush; and get free prof opinion(s). ya know?
Old 03-21-2006, 04:53 PM
SPARTAN VI
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: fairlane292

If it's only in the clearcoat (as it sounds) do not put any color to it. Clear only; It might be repaired with 2000 grit and polish (by a detail pro) under $50 and like new. ...putting anything on it you could easily be going backwards. I think you might be rushing into this repair; I'm just suggesting you do not rush; and get free prof opinion(s). ya know?
I was thinking the same. A school bus ran me into a rose bush a few months ago.. sounded like nails on a chalk board. The scratches were very minimal, wax almost covered it. This scratch seems the same, but it's much deeper than the rose bush scratch. I see a clear white line that I hope will turn out the same as the rose bush scratch. I guess over time the newly scratched paint settles back down making itself less noticable. Still, I'll apply the clear coat as you suggest.

If you could link me to the product you speak of, I'll greatly appreciate it.
Old 03-21-2006, 07:41 PM
fairlane292
5th Gear Member

Sorry I don't think I gave you the complete message, yes don't put color just clear; however the scratch as you describe it likely should have nothing put on it. If you can barely or hardly at all catch your fingernail on it then it likely only needs a little 2000grit and polish; the scratch will disapear; This should only be done by a prof detailer because they will start with practically no cut pad and glaze and only move up if the scratch needs a bit more. In all honestly I would expect the lightly sanding with the 2000grit to easily remove it; you then have plenty of clear left to polish out the dulling of the 2000grit; I would even say they should start with 2500 and then see if 2000 is even necessary. The last thing you want to do is add any "kit" clear or color, especially on a 05-06 stang;

Oh as far as products; not that you will need any; I would have to go online and see what the latest is; I do my own base and clear work (but not on my stang) so I don't typically look at that stuff. ...Jim
Old 03-21-2006, 10:15 PM
pgonz

Sounds like these suggestions wilhelp your scratch but what about smaller rock chips? Thanks!
Old 03-22-2006, 03:22 AM
fairlane292
5th Gear Member

For chips where the base color and or primer has been exposed I hear that there are a few good kits to take care of this so you don't have the ugly build-up of traditional touch up paints. It should include a real good cleaning step because that hole where the chip is will be full of dirt and much worse "wax". I suspect they have a thin color pen and similar for the clear. If the clear is raised slightly when it's all done; it can be sanded with 2500 then a detailer can polish the area and any fine scratches from the 2500 will be gone and it should be like new once again. Could be a little time consuming to do each and every chip but do a few each time; don't rush; when they are all done get out the 2500 a few days later and schedule a detailer to rotary polish the area. As far as products I can't recommend one; I'd check the internet and select the best solution.

good luck... ...Jim
Old 03-27-2006, 11:09 PM
SPARTAN VI
4th Gear Member

Well, I got my touchup pens today. Went right to it.

I only used a clear coat on scratch, came out ok... makes for a good temporary fix, if anything. I accidentally gobbed too much of it on for one scratch, so it's not perfectly flat, a little rounded as gravity took its toll. Nothing noticable, it'll bug me, but I'll get it professionally done later.

For the serious chips on my roof, I used the black. Very upset. As I was applying the touch up paint, I lightly tapped the chip but TONS of paint dripped out. Maybe, the size of a pinky nail. I rushed back to grab a towel and wiped off most of it. Little speckles of it remained, even after I used the clay bar. It seems the only way to get rid of it would be to scratch at it... ironic huh? Again, tentative if anything. Wiped it nearly clean though, so I'm not gonna cry. Came out ok. Pleased with 2/3 of the chips, and fairly happy with the scratches.
Old 03-27-2006, 11:17 PM
Kaldar142
4th Gear Member

Do ayou think i can use touchup paint of a similiar kind because after i put on my chin spoiler i rubbed up agaisnt a few curbs now ive got some nasty scrapes and chips on it lol
Old 03-27-2006, 11:38 PM
fairlane292
5th Gear Member

I give ya lots of credit for trying; it's no easy task, I can just imagine; Mine is not a daily driver and if I get a chip in the blend area of the flames it will take a modern day Michaelangelo (sp?) to fix it. You can't beat yourself up too much on this; there are so many things out there ready to mark up your car. Enjoy it for the muscle car that it is and one day have the paint/clear redone, and it will look better than the day it was delivered to the dealer.
Old 03-27-2006, 11:39 PM
fairlane292
5th Gear Member

Looks like you have the classic CS. If it can be readily removed I would do that and have a shop redo it; you should be able to stay away from curbs now right? (lol)
Old 03-29-2006, 02:16 AM
Country1969
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: fairlane292

I give ya lots of credit for trying; it's no easy task, I can just imagine; Mine is not a daily driver and if I get a chip in the blend area of the flames it will take a modern day Michaelangelo (sp?) to fix it. You can't beat yourself up too much on this; there are so many things out there ready to mark up your car. Enjoy it for the muscle car that it is and one day have the paint/clear redone, and it will look better than the day it was delivered to the dealer.

My 05 Stang is a daily driver and I am constantly telling my wife and kid not to scratch/touch the paint or watch how you handle things inside the car. I am the only person that drives it. LIke you said, you can't prevent things from chipping the paint or minor scratches. Believe I park my car far from people in parking lots and away from shopping carts. There are people out there that just don't care and its sad. But I want to keep the Stang looking the best I can as loing as I can.

As you may notice there is an orange peel effect in the paint in the 2005 maybe 2006 Stangs. Our friend who owns a shop told us about this one day. He said he can wet sand it and buff it out and it will have a great difference in appearance. I figured in years to come when it gets knicked up or scratched I will have him do it. For now, it doesn't bother me to have the orange peel effect.

Quick Reply: Scratched... need touch up paint.