Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cutting the bumper

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2006, 10:20 PM
Black06stang
4th Gear Member

Default Cutting the bumper

Ok, I have an appointment for the dual exhaust to be done by Meineke on Saturday, so I need to cut my bumper tomorow (Friday). BTW-I am getting dual GT takoffs with h-pipe. To cut my bumper, I have to trace the right side cutout, flip the pattern, place it on the left side and cut it. Is this all I need to do?
Old 03-24-2006, 12:15 AM
fairlane292
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Cutting the bumper

I don't know, is the one cutout for the v6 in the same location as the GT? It may not be; what research have you found on doing this. (A GT rear bumper may be required, unless you are getting custom exhaust or custom bends) Anyway if you are cutting the bumper make sure you put 2 layers of 2" masking tape on the bumper area then trace on the tape, then cut. Don't want to scratch anything you know? What tool are you planning to use to cut the bumper? ...Jim
Old 03-24-2006, 12:25 AM
Sleeper05
5th Gear Member

do not cut your bumper because regardless of how careful you are it will not turn out to be perfectly symmetrical. take the time and money to get a gt rear bumper. for now id recommend just getting turn-down tips on the exhaust because you can always go back later and get nice 2.5 or 3in tips for 50bucks installed
Old 03-24-2006, 12:27 AM
Stckman
2nd Gear Member

Dont cut it yourself. let them do it... the excasut pipe may sit a little differently on the other side. and the ol traceroonie may not work if you do it yourself... theyre not idiots. they should do a good job. and even if they mess up a bit the incision isnt really noticeable.

I am a firm beliver in letting them do it. just take it there. thes eguys are pros imsure they do it all the time

http://www.MustangForums.com/upfiles...l321503150.jpg

i had it cut by the muffler guys
Old 03-24-2006, 12:33 AM
fairlane292
5th Gear Member

A Meineke guy is gonna cut the urethane rear bumper? Guess there's a first for everything. What tool in a brake and muffler shop will they use for that? You probably need a GT bumper anyway and this conversation is moot; but if you can't do a careful, skillful cut find someone who you know can. They don't even have masking tape (as I mentioned) at Meineke.

Stckman: your ride is definitely hot looking; BTW, I don't really see any or much of a cut for your pipes though....
Old 03-24-2006, 12:38 AM
afixer
5th Gear Member

you guys crack me up. dremil . touch up paint and vola its done did the whole thin in my driveway in a few min. just mesure twice cut it once i always say!

[IMG]local://upfiles/14019/EE709B51C374436D98D00930103A46C8.jpg[/IMG]
Old 03-24-2006, 12:48 AM
sonicblue05
3rd Gear Member

lol yeah there are so many people that have done it. ill be doing it next week. its not hard, just be carefull.

... theyre not idiots
LOL i went with my friend to mieneke to have his exhaust done and i wouldnt let "Ace" (the guy doing it) touch my bumper!!! lolhe was just brilliant! he cut my friends stockmuffler out when all he had to do was un clampit, he said the new one wouldnt fit,untill i rotatedit for him, he was a general dumbass. LOL
Old 03-24-2006, 12:51 AM
blackout
5th Gear Member

Good luck with it! [&:]
Old 03-24-2006, 12:58 AM
danalor
1st Gear Member

If you research the forums you'll see quite a few people have done it themselves with no problems, alot will be dependent on your experience with the tools (dremel) and skill as a handyman. I've done alot of PC case modding with a dremel and it took a few times to get used to the way it cuts, speeds to use and type of attachment to use for the type of cut I was doing. You have only one bumper so be careful and take your time if you decide to do it.
Old 03-24-2006, 01:08 AM
afixer
5th Gear Member

yep here's what i did

http://www.2005stang.com/viewtopic.p...ight=eeek++cut

Quick Reply: Cutting the bumper