Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 10-27-2015, 10:40 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Lighting
Print Wikipost

anybody change headlight/foglight bulbs?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2006, 12:50 AM
drbobvs
5th Gear Member

Default RE: anybody change headlight/foglight bulbs?

I got the "high wattage" low beams and the H10 fog lights from NOKYA also. Come on guys, admit it, the low beams SUCK. Yes they give a blue color, but the light output is way less than the stock bulbs. If you install one and look at them from the front of the vehicle or from inside the car the difference is obvious. I took them out after 2 days. I hav'nt driven my car at night, or at all since november in fact, but anyone using there car at night alot, especially in the winter would not want these. You really can't see very far down the road.

I fog lights, however I'm satisfied with. They are blue in color, seem to project just as much light as stock and look cool from the front of the car. I havn't had any issues with the melting that was mentioned by others. Just don't want anyone else to throw away good money like i did. I hear that Sylvania WON'T be producing an H13 silverstar, so if anyone has used a different brand with different results I'd like to hear it.

[IMG]local://upfiles/16153/8FCDD0911B27430CA88009E1EE2EC275.jpg[/IMG]
Old 06-09-2007, 09:44 AM
Plaidpony

I know, holy thread revival. However, I did want people to know I at least did a search before asking what may be a stupid question. Is there a right-up on how to change the headlight bulb in the 05+ Mustang? I've been able to find plenty of debate on which H13 bulb to buy, but no info on how to actually change the bulb. Is it something simple like disconecting the the bulb from the rear of the headlamp housing or is there more to it? Thanks.
Old 06-09-2007, 10:45 AM
jrm1900
2nd Gear Member

I replaced the stock hedlight and fog bulbs with Sylvania Silverstars, the do provide a whiter light and IMO are the best choice when it comes to bulbs.
http://www.sylvania.com/ConsumerProd...RG-Results.htm

High wattage bulbs might be illegal in some areas and I've heard many times problems like the ones mentiones in this thread .
The next step for me will be xenon personally I'll do it for function more than appearence and I preffer whiter light in the 4300 - 5000 color temp range also the consume a fraction of the power required by conventional bulbs.
Old 06-09-2007, 10:49 AM
mlcrycc
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Plaidpony

I know, holy thread revival. However, I did want people to know I at least did a search before asking what may be a stupid question. Is there a right-up on how to change the headlight bulb in the 05+ Mustang? I've been able to find plenty of debate on which H13 bulb to buy, but no info on how to actually change the bulb. Is it something simple like disconecting the the bulb from the rear of the headlamp housing or is there more to it? Thanks.
For the headlights, it's as simple as twisting the bulb from the rear of the headlight, and replacing with the new one. Take care, however, to make sure you remove the rubber gasket from the old bulb, and use the new gasket that comes with the bulb. Sometimes the old gasket will stick to the housing, and then you are trying to re-install with two gaskets....won't work....
Do not touch the glass bulb part of the bulb when replacing.....
For the fogs, you need to remove the top cover over the radiator, remove the two bolts from the top of the grill assembly, and pull the top of the grill back to get to the fogs. Then twist and replace as noted above. I went with Silverstars in both, and love them....

Mike
Old 06-09-2007, 11:00 AM
jrm1900
2nd Gear Member

It is a very easy procedure, just remove the radiator plastic cover held in place by a few snap on plastic fasteners to have access to the fog lights, reach for the bulb connector turn it 1/4 turnleft or rght, I dont rememberand they'll come out, just be very carefull not to touch the tip of the bulb with your finges or you might damage it. Then put the new bulb back in repeating the procdure in reverso order,
Old 06-09-2007, 11:20 AM
Plaidpony

Ok, sounds straight forward enough. Thank you mlcrycc and jrm1900, much appreciated.
Old 06-09-2007, 07:07 PM
Gman13
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mlcrycc

For the headlights, it's as simple as twisting the bulb from the rear of the headlight, and replacing with the new one. Take care, however, to make sure you remove the rubber gasket from the old bulb, and use the new gasket that comes with the bulb. Sometimes the old gasket will stick to the housing, and then you are trying to re-install with two gaskets....won't work....
Do not touch the glass bulb part of the bulb when replacing.....
For the fogs, you need to remove the top cover over the radiator, remove the two bolts from the top of the grill assembly, and pull the top of the grill back to get to the fogs. Then twist and replace as noted above. I went with Silverstars in both, and love them....

Mike
+1
You have to be careful on the fogs because you can knock out the little metal clip inside the housing and it is a PITA to get back in place. Some guys have gone so far as to replace the fog because they couldn't fix it. It's like playing the game "operation" when you were a kid, you can't touch the sides...lol.

Old 06-09-2007, 07:14 PM
Speedyejl
2nd Gear Member

Didn't see them mentioned, I'm running Silverstars, got them at the Zone, $80 for all 4 bulbs:

Noticable but not significant improvement.
More useable light than stock. Whiter light to, looks better. Not HID or HID look alikes by any means though.
Old 06-09-2007, 08:46 PM
Bluestar
5th Gear Member

+1 I'm running Silverstars too, better than stock and they throw a wider, brighter beam. $19.99 each a Auto Zone.
Old 06-09-2007, 11:49 PM
guao
2nd Gear Member

http://www.blueovalindustries.com/pr...p?pid=99012345

I have these and I'm very happy with them

Quick Reply: anybody change headlight/foglight bulbs?