Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is it hot in here or is it just me?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2006, 02:01 AM
Rezalien
2nd Gear Member

Default Is it hot in here or is it just me?

Ok, this has been brought up in several threads (yes I got the search function to work) but I couldn't find where anyone actually solved the problem.

It's obvious to those of us with the typical CAI install that there is not a great source of cold/cool air for the CAI to draw from...no cavity in the wheel well, no redirect coming from the bumper...just some small holes by the radiator.

Has anyone successfully installed a redirect "kit" or rigged up a system that actually works and doesn't look too crazy? I'm not talking about an expensive shaker hood system or aftermarket hood at all...more like a cheap/relatively easy alternative to an actual exterior mod that supplies a noticeable amount of cooler air to the filter area. I've seen some "nice" dryer hose installs on a couple of 5.0 beaters...but man I just can't bring myself to do something like that!

Any feedback or opinions would be appreciated!
Old 03-24-2006, 02:28 AM
ford4v429
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Is it hot in here or is it just me?

I think over at themustangsource forums theres a thread on this...guy used flexible duct and ran back under the lower grille...

I did read some incredible claims on inlet tems from a CAI of like 2 degrees over ambient versus 30-40 degrees over without- but I'm bigtime skeptical on that one...I agree without a direct 'port' for outside air, it sure seems it would all be warm under there- especially like if staging at the dragstrip...would imagine by 40-50 mph it would have plenty of ramair effect just from the grille openings to push a fair bit of the heat out. The factory airbox perhaps could benifit from simply a larger hole/bigger inlet that fits tighter against hole in fenderwell- oem hole is about an inch bigger than the small looking rubber inlet snorkel that sticks into fender...

I was kinda thinking about an engine cover, but got to thinking along the same lines- anything that blocks airflow over the manifold is likely going to hold in a little more warmth...I really want to get a shaker, but it has a huge cover too...probably necessary to prevent rain from having any chance at running in/over top of engine...cool air in, but airflow restricting cover insulating intake/valley seems contradictory...at least a little bit.
Old 03-24-2006, 11:07 AM
Professor Wizard
MF Moderator

Like ford4v429 said...

A guy in my neighbo hood... He went to Home Depot - purchased that aluminum looking flexible 4" hose (flue department. Routed it up the drivers side from inside the lower bumper intake. He cut a hole in the bottom of his CAI shroud, and attached the hose to the hole. He used a piece of PVC 4" pipe base for a mounting bracket.

It looked pretty good actually.... "IF" I can track him down for pics, I'll post them.
Old 03-24-2006, 11:38 AM
VaporDude
5th Gear Member

This is a god thread and worth alot of consideration. Now if I can just get a patent on something like this.
Old 03-25-2006, 11:22 AM
Rezalien
2nd Gear Member

I'm going to look into what Prof said his neighbor did...it's what I've seen done in the past too, just not very well. (think dryer duct/coathanger/duct tape) [:'(] Maybe if it can be done with a little more finesse it won't look too bad.

If anyone comes up with a great idea post some pics! I'll do the same if I can find some material that will work...I don't want to get "ricey" with the homemade add-ons, it's just now that I've thought about it...I'm more curious than ever to see if it would make any difference.