Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Filling the tank

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2006, 05:20 PM
Big McLargeHuge

Default Filling the tank

Just got an 06' coupe this week, and went to fill it up this morning, since I'm going to be doing some driving this weekend. Anyway, I let the pump go until the automatic cut-off. I didn't have any spillage problems, but when I started the car, the gas gauge only went to just over 3/4th of a tank. Any ideas on this? Could the cut off be cutting off too early?
Thanks.
Old 03-24-2006, 05:21 PM
Tik_Tok
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Filling the tank

Yep.
Old 03-24-2006, 05:23 PM
MikeHawke
Retired MF Moderator

these goddamn thing are finickey about taking on fuel. Mine either shuts off with 3/4 of a tank or spills fuel everywhere [:@]

There are TSBs on the fuel fill problems. Bitch at your dealer.....hopefully they will be more helpful than mine.
Old 03-24-2006, 05:25 PM
blackout
5th Gear Member

I have the same problem, I finally realized that when I feel i'm getting near full I cut the throttle to the gas pump a little under halfway so it doesn't overflow everywhere. I think that is the only thing I dislike about this car.
Old 03-24-2006, 05:28 PM
Traken
2nd Gear Member

It's odd... I've got an '06 v6 and I've never once had the fuel problem. I'd assumed they fixed it.... Maybe it's just on the GTs?
Old 03-24-2006, 05:35 PM
Philostang
3rd Gear Member

Thank You!! I thought I was going frippin' nuts. Mine does this same thing--first it was spitting fuel back at me, then when I got this under control, it was only filling up to 3/4 of the way.

Someone (sorry I forgot who) suggested that you reset the "gallons used" setting on your information screen each time you fill up--that way you know exactly how much to replace and when it is getting back to the level you had before. This took care of the spitting problem.

I got it to fill up all the way the last time, and I did what nothsa suggests, only I also pulled the nozzle back out just a bit. Go slow and she'll drink deep.

Good luck,
-j
Old 03-24-2006, 05:38 PM
Scooter80
2nd Gear Member

Exactly right. Go Slow. You can go full "throttle" for most of the fill, but then cut it to like the first notch. It's not just on the Mustangs. The Crown Vics do it too. It's a PITA filling those up every day. I think it has a lot to do with fume abatement on the newest cars due to more stringent EPA requirements.
Old 03-24-2006, 05:49 PM
algregory
3rd Gear Member

"Someone (sorry I forgot who) suggested that you reset the "gallons used" setting on your information screen each time you fill up--that way you know exactly how much to replace and when it is getting back to the level you had before. This took care of the spitting problem."

I've been using the "Gallons Used" just about 100% of the time, I find that the thing is really accurate! The miss is usually less than .2 gallons. I automatically hold the pump nozzle at about the 4:00 position, I never attempt the automatic feature, mine's an '05 GT delivered Feb '05
Old 03-24-2006, 05:51 PM
Big McLargeHuge

That's pretty annoying. Fortunately, I usually only drive on the weekends, so I don't have to fill up every day. I'll be sure to talk to my dealer about it though. I think I'd rather underfill slightly than overfill and get gas all over the paint.
Old 03-24-2006, 06:20 PM
MikeHawke
Retired MF Moderator

I'm going to use that "gallons used" trick. Then you will know exactly how close to full you actually are when pumping fuel.

SWEET!

Quick Reply: Filling the tank