Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mustang GT v. Caddy CTS-V

Old 03-25-2006, 11:12 PM
6xStang
3rd Gear Member

Default Mustang GT v. Caddy CTS-V

No not a race thread. As some of you know I've been thinking about getting a 2006 GT convertible to replace my aging 5.0, so I drove my caddy CTS-V (400 hp LS6, 400 ft lbs torque, 3800 pounds, 6 speed) to the local Ford dealer to test drive a mustang GT (manual trans). Some interesting observations, especially since I got right out of the V and into a new GT, and back into the V again. Granted, the CTS-V is $20K more. It feels like it (but don't flame me; this is basically a pro-mustang post and I plan to buy one).

1) Much has been said about the low budget feel to the CTS-V interior. The mustang GT premium interior feels, to me, noticeably lower budget. I liked it, and it wreaked of retro, sport, and function, but not of luxury.

2) Mustang is much more cramped inside (I'm only 5'8") than the caddy. No big surprise there, as the caddy is bigger. But it did feel "sportier" in the mustang. There seems to be MUCH less rear seat room than in the 79-93 Fox body mustangs. I've owned 5 of those....

3) Much less sound insulation in the mustang (I drove a coupe) than in the CTS-V. As a result, the Mustang feels much sportier from the minute you start it up. It feels more like a race car (till you actually punch it; the CTS-V is more powerful and there is no question about it. But puttering around the V feels much more refined, and the mustang feels more visceral. Visceral=fun. And that is even with Corsa exhaust on the caddy.).

4) Mustang idles more smoothly than the caddy (LS6 has a very high duration cam), but the emissions system keeps the revs up higher than the V between shifts and as you come to a stop.

5) Power: first gear in the mustang feels just as strong as first gear in the CTS-V. There is lots of noticeable drivetrain backlash in the mustang, but not as much as the CTS-V. The CTS-V has a ridiculous dual mass flywheel that "clunks" if you shift 1-2 at low rpm's (below 2500). Solid flywheel in the mustang, and that is the way to go. LOTS of wheel hop in the Mustang (the one I drove had the 18" wheels; the salesman was not in the car). The hop was as bad as the IRS in the V; I was a bit surprised about that. Do all of your stock GT's hop on dry pavement? Second gear you really feel the lower power of the mustang. It just doesn't have the wallop of the LS6. But the car felt plenty powerful and plenty fun because the engine noise and exhaust noise was so much greater.

6) THE SHIFTER. The CTS-V shifter sucks. Man that mustang shifter feels pretty sweet compared to the V shifter. Short throw and nice tight gates. Maybe too notchy for some, but I like the Mustang shifter a lot....

The CTS-V feels every bit of $20K more car than the mustang, but the mustang is a completely different driving experience. Different enough where I can justify parking a GT ragtop in the garage alongside the V. Can't really justify a vette since I have 3 kids, all of whom will want to cruise with me.

So, it's getting to be hardcore shopping time. They had a vista blue GTconvertible equipped the way I wanted and seemingly willing to deal, but I want white or the light silver......

Springtime is coming.

Old 03-25-2006, 11:35 PM
RabidCharlie
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Mustang GT v. Caddy CTS-V

I always thought those Caddillac CTS-Vs looked good. Interesting compare/contrast. Good luck on your GT shopping.
Old 03-25-2006, 11:57 PM
badloser
2nd Gear Member

Well said the ctsv is more of a luxury car with some kick but the Mustang has a feel that is missing in the GM products.I was all set to buy a loaded GTO ls2 and left with the a Mustang instead. The Mustang has a soul that more expensive cars lack and I am very happy with my new 06 GT and it sound like you will to.
Old 03-26-2006, 02:15 AM
Newbreedgt05
3rd Gear Member

I like the way Cadillac is going with their styling. They have some awesome looking cars.If you take the $20,000 more that the caddy costs and put that money into a new mustang gt, you will end up with a car that will beat the caddy in almost all of your observations. That's what makes the mustang so appealing is the ability to make it unique and one of a kind. There aren't a lot of other domestic cars that you can make one of a kind for so cheap. [sm=signs003.gif] on looking for a new mustang. I'm sure the mustang will become the favorite ride of your kids and their friends.
Old 03-26-2006, 03:24 AM
diondon
1st Gear Member

If I had the money I'll go for the Cadillac. I bet it doesnt rattle [:@]
Old 03-26-2006, 03:39 AM
chrisc
5th Gear Member

haha if i was not 17...yeah, i would probably go with the caddy

(i still love my stang though )
Old 03-26-2006, 05:53 AM
stang9325
2nd Gear Member

Good luck on getting a new pony soon, you will surely love it. Side note, FWIW, the Caddy is only rated .1 faster in the quarter. While you may have felt a difference, it wasn't really there.
Old 03-26-2006, 07:50 AM
6xStang
3rd Gear Member

The caddy with the IRS is notorious for bad launches; it is a horrible drag car. But once it is hooked up it is a freakin rocket. There is a noticable difference in power between the two cars from the factory. Beleive it or not the aftermarket has embraced the CTS-V, and there are superchargers (well currently only magnuson), CAI's, exhausts, and other mods available, plus most of the the LS6 goodies from vette-land bolt right up. But the rear differentials tend to explode which limits a lot of the enthusiasm for modifications.

Mustang is by far more "bang for the buck," and yes I agree that the mustang is likely to become the favorite ride (except when the 5 of us have to go somewhere. And probably with less than $6K of mods and the mustang eats the caddy for lunch every time.

And the Caddy rattles plenty.....but nothing a little Greenday (or Bach)can't cure.
Old 03-27-2006, 12:42 PM
SonicStanGirl
2nd Gear Member

The most obvious problem with the Cadillac CTS-V is that it WEARS A BOW TIE!!!!!!!
Old 03-27-2006, 02:08 PM
6xStang
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: SonicStanGirl

The most obvious problem with the Cadillac CTS-V is that it WEARS A BOW TIE!!!!!!!
on this forum, I will not be so foolish as to defensively respond to that one. Owning both GM's and Fords, though (and, forgive me, and occasional MoPar) for years, I know that Calvin can urinate everywhere.

But, technically the caddy only carries a "wreath and crest", and no bowtie. The chevy motor is not a chevy motor but now only carries a "GMPD" (GM performance division) badge since the LSx engines are now used across the various GM product lines. So, the proper way to characterise the CTS-V "source" problem might be to say that the most obvious problem is that "it is built by a General." I will not come to the defense of a military leader who specs a 310 flt. lb. rear differential to handle 400 ft. pounds of output torque.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Mustang GT v. Caddy CTS-V