Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Alternatives to stock ANTENNA ??

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2006, 04:42 PM
DUSTI
2nd Gear Member

Default Alternatives to stock ANTENNA ??

Just wondering if ANYONE has any suggestions or experiences with
aftermarket antennas (preferably 'internal' / 'stick free' ones ?!)

I just HATE the stock 'ugly-stick' and the shorter version that I saw on eBay doesn't
do anything for me either.

THANKS for any suggestions or ideas !

Old 03-26-2006, 05:27 PM
06GT4RAD
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Alternatives to stock ANTENNA ??

Try this place.

http://www.shortyantennas.com/

Richard
Old 03-26-2006, 08:44 PM
fairlane292
5th Gear Member

I have the tune trapper (about $29.95 with money back guartantee) under the dash (non powered) I'd say I get 85-95% of normal recption typically; If over time this is not good enough I'll go with a rear mount power antenna (which if you think about it is quite retro) ...Jim
Old 03-26-2006, 09:31 PM
JJ_Stang
2nd Gear Member

I found this a while ago, but the biggest expense is going to be to get the hole in the fender fixed.

Antenna
Old 03-26-2006, 09:38 PM
06GT4RAD
5th Gear Member

Here is a picture of the Shorty Antenna I have from the link above i gave. This is on my F150

Richard
Old 03-26-2006, 09:49 PM
fairlane292
5th Gear Member

Yeah, I don't know; looks a lot like TuneTrapper (check their website) I read everything I could find and one thing I got was that you cannot (yet) get the same reception with an inside hidden antenna. The info about the one you have here kinda makes that claim; I do see that it is much more expensive than the TuneTrapper; maybe it's better but like I said I get about 85-95% of OEM; if you do order this and after driving around in different locations you find it is as good as the external; please let me know.

Yeah, in addition to the main hole there are 3 smaller ones to fill; getting those 3 torx screws out can be very difficult (they have locktite on them; UGH!!); use a top quality torx on a ratchet; if it doesn't look like it's goona go use a propane torch from underneath to carefully apply heat to the underlying nuts. You will not likely bubble the paint but if you do don't worry; that area of paint is gonna get ruined by the welding of the holes. Make sure you have a shop that is very comfortable with welding the thin sheetmetal of these cars; The panel can shrink (warp) soooooooooo easy. When I did mine I did very small sections at a time; letting the area cool in between. If you have a solid color, match is no problem and nothing will show. A top quality shop can handle the metallic match; Any of this work should be done by the most experienced fab guys you can find; might pay a couple hundred bucks more but it will look perfect. Let me know how you make out on this. ....good luck... ...Jim
Old 03-26-2006, 10:56 PM
DUSTI
2nd Gear Member

Thanks everyone for all the infos and suggestions,
and special thanks to Jim for the detailed infos on
the stock antenna..........I guess I'll have my work
cut out now......
Old 03-26-2006, 11:10 PM
ThisBlood147
5th Gear Member

Shoot, I just realized how little I actually listen to the radio in this car............I mean, almost never. If my sound system is up......I'm spinning a CD. I wonder how much it would run me to delete my antenna from the fender all together like fairlane.
Old 03-27-2006, 02:05 AM
fairlane292
5th Gear Member

I'm playing more CD's now; partly because the signal isn't 100% and you know how picky I am. Gee if you're having other work done; it shouldn't be that expensive; ($200-$300) I just wouldn't want to see someone with just average experience do this; they need to know such things as how important it is to protect surrounding areas of the car; especially the glass; any welding sparks hit the glass it will pit it instantly; something you might not notice right away; experienced shops that weld (particularly new car sheet metal) should do just fine for ya. Guess it wouldn't hurt to get a price. I know.... where is the end to the spending? ...could be worse.... a boat at the ocean; ...you wanna see money fly fast and furious... No I don't have a boat; my brother does; it's killing him financially. Buy cars, charter boats. (lol)
...Jim
Old 03-27-2006, 03:09 PM
JJ_Stang
2nd Gear Member

I think I have listened to free broadcast radio in my car once or twice, always a CD, MP3 player, or Sirius. I may go and see how much to get the antenna removed all together. Its just fugly.

Quick Reply: Alternatives to stock ANTENNA ??