Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which L/T Headers??

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2006, 06:34 PM
FIREMNSGT

Default Which L/T Headers??

I've been wanting to get some long tube headers, best price so far is RPM Outlet (Hooker ceramic $599, JBA Stainless $599) I've read some people having good experiences with the Hookers, any imput would be great..do I need motor mounts? will I lose low end power? Thx in advance..
Old 03-27-2006, 07:10 PM
F00Mustang
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Which L/T Headers??

I wanted to use the JBA's but ended up going with the hooker's just because of the price. I love them. They'll take a day to install, so leave yourself some time. It is definatelly worth it to get the motor mounts at the same time. The mounts I bought came from Granatelli and only cost me $120. Three bolts on eact mount, and there done (very easy with the manifolds allready out).
As far as power, I gaines power across the entire RPM bank, including the low end.
Old 03-27-2006, 07:17 PM
burnout42
1st Gear Member

You may want to do some more research before you spend that money. I have read 2 articles already with dyno tests that show a whopping 5 pony increase to the rear wheels after long tube headers. That is pretty krappy horsepower / dollar ratio. Apparently, the stock manifolds are a very efficient design already. I would spend the money elsewhere. Both articles I read were on forced induction '05 stangs, so even pushing a ton more air into the motor doesn't help much with the LT's. If that is the case, save your money and do something else. Unless you are just trying to get a different exhaust note.......................pretty expensive though.
Old 03-27-2006, 07:34 PM
F00Mustang
3rd Gear Member

The articles that burnout is referring to are comparing the shorties to long tubes, which that is correct, you will only see a difference of about 5hp between the 2. But I picked up about 20 horses at the wheels by changing out the stock manifolds, so It does help, but a retune is needed to deliver the power potential. This is especially true when your talking about forced induction, as the intake side of the system is not as important as getting the spent gasses out.

As for "why longtubes?". I did the long tubes over shorties because of the exhaust note. I have perfect strangers tell me my car sounds great, and I attribute the better sound to the long tubes and cat delete.
Old 03-27-2006, 07:48 PM
andyman
4th Gear Member

Make sure that whatever you get is CERAMIC COATED this way it won't discolor or rust. the hookers are real nice, that is what I have.

https://mustangforums.com/m_1170524/tm.htm
Old 03-27-2006, 08:25 PM
FIREMNSGT

Thanks for all the info..[&:]
Old 03-27-2006, 08:49 PM
Tik_Tok
2nd Gear Member

I've got SLP long tubes.... they should be here within the next 2 hours.... YAY! I'll tell you how the quality looks when I get them, and how they sound tomorrow night.
Old 03-27-2006, 09:10 PM
Tik_Tok
2nd Gear Member

[sm=massbounce.gif]

Literally as I hit enter on my last post, the UPS guy knocked on my door.

Long Tubes are here, they look good, all the welds are pretty decent. NOT impressed with the X-Pipe though, welds aren't nearly as good looking as the headers, and one outlet port is slightly bent (that might have been from the shipping, though the boxes don't look knocked up at all)
Old 03-27-2006, 09:18 PM
FIREMNSGT

Tik-Tok can I ask where did you get your set-up from?? let us know how the install goes...
Old 03-27-2006, 09:31 PM
Tik_Tok
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: FIREMNSGT

Tik-Tok can I ask where did you get your set-up from?? let us know how the install goes...
LMPerformance, they took a few days to ship it, then UPS took FOREVER to get here (mind you I am in Western Canada) I will try to post before/after vids or sound for everyone.

Quick Reply: Which L/T Headers??