Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

new gt car care question

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2006, 08:40 AM
ancbob

Default new gt car care question

Picked up our new GT convertible yesterday. Will post pics after light bar is installed. My question is about caring for the finish. I have a Grand Prix that I use an orbital buffer to keep it shining. I am concerned about what the best polishing stuff out there to use on my GT's (factory) clear coat that will work the best. Also, since the car is brand new, should I give it some time before attempting to buff it out? Also, any input on recommended car cover types? I will be storing this in our garage and saving it for sunny day driving.
Old 03-30-2006, 12:50 PM
Sean3667
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: new gt car care question

ORIGINAL: ancbob

Also, any input on recommended car cover types? I will be storing this in our garage and saving it for sunny day driving.
If you do some shopping around, you'll find tons of options on covers, depending upon how you intend to store your car. In my case, I don't have a garage or indoor storage space to park my new GT 'Vert, so I opted for a Covercraft custom-fitted cover with their NOAH outdoor fabric. Including the locking kit and storage bag, I paid $212 (shipping was free). Since you may not need as much UV and weather protection for your situation, some of the less expensive fabric options may work for you.
Old 04-03-2006, 04:21 PM
ancbob

if I did this right, here's a pic of my mustang

[IMG]local://upfiles/33501/49EA09D230FF48728319B85AB4D5D225.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/33501/119326434CDF45E49300F4A535824A37.jpg[/IMG]
Old 04-03-2006, 05:09 PM
gregt909
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ancbob

Picked up our new GT convertible yesterday. Will post pics after light bar is installed. My question is about caring for the finish. I have a Grand Prix that I use an orbital buffer to keep it shining. I am concerned about what the best polishing stuff out there to use on my GT's (factory) clear coat that will work the best. Also, since the car is brand new, should I give it some time before attempting to buff it out? Also, any input on recommended car cover types? I will be storing this in our garage and saving it for sunny day driving.
Asking what the best wax is is like asking what the best oil is. You are going to get many opinions. I would say just stick with a wax you trust. Use something that is 100% wax Don't use cleaner waxes unless it needs it. I would also do it by hand. Buffers can damage is you're not careful. The car isn't that big. I can wax mine in about an hour or so.
Old 04-03-2006, 05:11 PM
Stang Skeleton
3rd Gear Member

Hey congrats. It looks really sexy. So about buffing the car, you might want to check the date the car was made (on your door) and if it has been over 3 months you can do whatever you want, buff polish wax, etc. If it has been only a month or so, the clear coat needs time to harden depending on how the weather is in your area. I wouldnt recommend buffing unless you need it though. It can cause swirl marks etc. Just do a really nice wax, polish, and clay glaze. All made by meguires.
Old 04-03-2006, 08:30 PM
ancbob

Thanks for the feed back on buffing it up.

was at the auto store sat. and was stopped by a guy asking about my car. He said he was the one who hung the doors and spoiler! I shook his hand and told him they did a great job on the car! There are advantages to living close to detroit!

Light bar is being installed now.

Anyone have input on pro / con for a bra?
Old 04-03-2006, 11:05 PM
06GT4RAD
5th Gear Member

I agree about the Covercraft it is probably the best cover on the market. I have a custom made one for my truck. It sells by a few other names. You can go here http://calcarcover.com and get one. As for using a Random Orbital Polisher like the Porter Cable 7424 I am all for it. It is almost impossible for you to damage your cars finsh using one of these. They are a great tool and when used can make the work so much easier and the results far superior to doing it by hand. Now if you are talking about a 10" orbital polisher that Sears sells then forget it, you are wasting your time and money. I would not do anything to the paint for at least 60-90 days from production date. As for which products to use well that is like gregt said way to many opinions. I personally like a few differant products such Poorboys, Meg's and Chemical Guys. All great products and all have thing i like and dislike. Again I would suggest that if you want to learn all you can about car care and keeping that car looking great go to one of the sponsors sites. Autogeek.com and read there How To's they have a wealth of info there and also sell top notch products.

Richard