Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A Little Much!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2006, 11:45 AM
6xStang
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: A Little Much!!

guys, I hate ADM as much as anyone, but it is a question of economics. Why would you sell for $45K that which you can sell for $70K? MSRP is just a guideline, and the same economics that allow us to negotiate down to close to dealer invoice is what allows dealers to use ADM. It's frustrating that market realities can sometimes price us out of our toys, but the dealers are not being thieves by seeking what the market will bear, and there is nothing unfair about it. Frustrating, but not unfair. Gotta love the free market.

I gave up on the GT500, ordered the GT, and I somehow will live with the less power. Today, at least, I can say I bought the most powerful mustang available from Ford.
Old 04-04-2006, 01:03 PM
Wicked Pony
3rd Gear Member

If people are going to be stupid enough to pay that much over sticker price...
I don't know where these people get their money! Look at the Barret Jackson auctions!
Old 04-04-2006, 01:30 PM
one_focused_svt
3rd Gear Member

my dealer is selling his a sticker, but he will take all the guys that want the car and let them bid war between eachother to determine who gets it, lol.
Old 04-04-2006, 02:55 PM
Tres Wright
4th Gear Member

Sadly these stories are commonplace on the Mustang forums. I've heard a few stories about people being promised MSRP, but nearly all those people eventually report that the dealership contacted them to alter the deal later. Personally I was talking to a salesman at a local dealership and he said their allocation was 3, and that they were marking them up 15k each. Maybe by next year the prices will start settling down, after all the "gotta have one now!" people get theirs.

==I don't know where these people get their money! Look at the Barret Jackson auctions! ==

I actually saw an interesting article about that, many of those people have been frustrated with the returns on their stock market investments over the last 7 years and have cashed everything out to go buy vintage cars as an investment! Personally I think they're making a BAD decision in doing that. Much as I'd love to cash out and buy a collection of rare and exotic cars, the realist in me knows that if I did it the collector car market would plummet [&:]
Old 04-04-2006, 03:00 PM
4wheelkillr
2nd Gear Member

I guess I'm the only other one...
supply and demand my friends...
high desirability and low availability = high prices
low desireability and high availability = low prices

i don't own or have any affiliation with a dealer...but if they can make $50k MSRP and someone's willing to pay that...then more power to them!
ORIGINAL: 6xStang

guys, I hate ADM as much as anyone, but it is a question of economics. Why would you sell for $45K that which you can sell for $70K? MSRP is just a guideline, and the same economics that allow us to negotiate down to close to dealer invoice is what allows dealers to use ADM. It's frustrating that market realities can sometimes price us out of our toys, but the dealers are not being thieves by seeking what the market will bear, and there is nothing unfair about it. Frustrating, but not unfair. Gotta love the free market.

I gave up on the GT500, ordered the GT, and I somehow will live with the less power. Today, at least, I can say I bought the most powerful mustang available from Ford.
Old 04-04-2006, 04:52 PM
torch red
4th Gear Member

It should be against the law to charge over MSRP--what a bunch of crooks--

If some Retard is willing to pay 20-40 grand over MSRP then screw them, Ford should make 25,000, they will still sell all of them,
really pisses me off!
Old 04-04-2006, 04:58 PM
Tik_Tok
2nd Gear Member

Pretty outrageous considering `68 GT500's would cost $29,000 brand new in today's dollars!

I wonder how much they'll be in Canada? We have consumer protection laws against these kinds of things.
Old 04-04-2006, 07:25 PM
6xStang
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: torch red

It should be against the law to charge over MSRP--what a bunch of crooks--

Actually, it is against the law for the factory to set the selling prices of goods sold at independent retailers. They can suggest them (thus the "s" in MSRP), and they can provide various incentives to maintain certain pricing levels (like....dealer invoices), but anything else would be called "price fixing"....
Old 04-04-2006, 09:29 PM
67Sally
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Tres Wright
==I don't know where these people get their money! Look at the Barret Jackson auctions! ==

I actually saw an interesting article about that, many of those people have been frustrated with the returns on their stock market investments over the last 7 years and have cashed everything out to go buy vintage cars as an investment! Personally I think they're making a BAD decision in doing that. Much as I'd love to cash out and buy a collection of rare and exotic cars, the realist in me knows that if I did it the collector car market would plummet [&:]
They were selling Lamborghini Countach's for 180k+ about 5 years ago but I think the highest priced one that went at the Scottsdale BJ show was 90 grand. That would suck. However, with a few exceptions I think the collector's car market is more predictable then stock and definitely a lot cooler. All of the new gasoline replacements might make me nervous though.
Old 04-04-2006, 10:42 PM
omer333
3rd Gear Member

You guys talking about MSRP and markups on Mustangs should see what Mustangs go for around my area. If you want a GT and go cruise the dealerships, you'll see that the GTs are around $5k-$10k more than MSRP. Sometimes more if they happen to be Roush GTs.

Seeing what these cars go for out here makes me glad I got a V6.