Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

dealer light bar install woes

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2006, 09:14 AM
ancbob

Default dealer light bar install woes

Took the easy route and let my dealer install the light bar on my new gt. Actually, they farmed out the install to a 3rd party. As of today, the car is back at the dealer getting the convertible top replaced since the installer of the light bar gouged it up. If I were to do it again, I would locate a reputable shop to do it, or, do the install myself. Will post pics once the vert is back home safe and sound.
Old 04-06-2006, 09:32 PM
doobs
4th Gear Member

Default RE: dealer light bar install woes

How much did the install cost you. I'm thinking about just going the route of installing it myself when/if i buy one.
Old 04-06-2006, 09:56 PM
Scooter80
2nd Gear Member

Hey, I think you lucked out as far as getting them to replace your top. Sure wouldn't happen if you happended to be the gouger!! LOL.
Seriously though, sorry to hear about that, but glad they are owning up to it!
Old 04-07-2006, 12:49 AM
Sean3667
2nd Gear Member

Sorry to hear this. As another poster asked ... how much did they charge for the install, and how in the world did the third party manage to damage your top?

Just wondering, because I've got a light bar sitting here awaiting installation, after the local dealer quoted me $1200+ for the job (only $450 of which would have been the part).

How many people here in the forums have installed the bars themselves?
Old 04-07-2006, 01:46 AM
doobs
4th Gear Member

You've got to be kidding me on that price. Sounds like somone wanted to ring you down the tubes. I figured if i were to get a quote it would be about a $150-200 dollars saying $70 an hour. I would probably rather install it myself and save the money. The directinos of the install are very detailed I heard as well.
ORIGINAL: Sean3667

Sorry to hear this. As another poster asked ... how much did they charge for the install, and how in the world did the third party manage to damage your top?

Just wondering, because I've got a light bar sitting here awaiting installation, after the local dealer quoted me $1200+ for the job (only $450 of which would have been the part).

How many people here in the forums have installed the bars themselves?
Old 04-07-2006, 09:16 AM
ancbob

cost was about $1000 installed (this included the switch for turning the light off when the top is up). The light bar itself was around $500. Sorry I don't have the exact numbers, but the paperwork is in the vert at the dealers. For me, having someone who (I hope) knows what they were doing was the best option. I read the install instructions and didn't feel I had the skills/tools to do the job right. Latest update from the dealer is that they have ordered a complete new top (yeah!) and that no-one has fessed up to doing the damage.

Once again, I would recommend finding a local shop that does this kind of work. There are probably people in this forum that could help point you in the right direction based on your location.

My vert should be finished Mon/Tues. I will post pics when I get it back.

I have attached a pic of the damage. Not the best since the flash washed out alot of the detail. Try to imagine taking a drill bit and dragging it across your top for about 10".

[IMG]local://upfiles/33501/D625253B13A744559405FB5CC4B575C9.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/33501/2097EC76DF294FE09C96FFB351C1297D.jpg[/IMG]
Old 04-08-2006, 12:26 AM
GhostPony
2nd Gear Member

Is the lightbar for really adding a interior light? $1000.00 installed seems steep for strictly a cosmetic bar for these convertibles.
Are people adding them because they just like the look of the bars themselves?
I am in now in the process of getting a rollbar that will legally allow a convertible to go faster than 13.99 at the dragstrip.
I am figuring 700-800 to do a legal rollbar with padding & uphostery.
So if I spend 1000.00 to do a nice tubular steel rollbar, I won't feel like I spent too much in comparison to the cost of adding one of these light bars.. which can't get me on the track.
Old 04-08-2006, 01:22 AM
doobs
4th Gear Member

Thanks on the info. Glad that the dealer is taking responsibilty.
ORIGINAL: ancbob

cost was about $1000 installed (this included the switch for turning the light off when the top is up). The light bar itself was around $500. Sorry I don't have the exact numbers, but the paperwork is in the vert at the dealers. For me, having someone who (I hope) knows what they were doing was the best option. I read the install instructions and didn't feel I had the skills/tools to do the job right. Latest update from the dealer is that they have ordered a complete new top (yeah!) and that no-one has fessed up to doing the damage.

Once again, I would recommend finding a local shop that does this kind of work. There are probably people in this forum that could help point you in the right direction based on your location.

My vert should be finished Mon/Tues. I will post pics when I get it back.

I have attached a pic of the damage. Not the best since the flash washed out alot of the detail. Try to imagine taking a drill bit and dragging it across your top for about 10".

[IMG]local://upfiles/33501/D625253B13A744559405FB5CC4B575C9.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/33501/2097EC76DF294FE09C96FFB351C1297D.jpg[/IMG]
Old 04-08-2006, 02:56 AM
Tres Wright
4th Gear Member

Good grief!! Maybe I should go into the lightbar installation business It took me (I think) 2 hours to install mine by myself and that was because my drill bit was hosed. A good mechanic (with a sharp bit) should be able to do it in an hour no problem.

It took about 30 minutes to install the Web Electric switch after the fact.

There's nothing to fear on installing these yourself, if you can drill holes you can install one of these light bars no problem!
Old 04-08-2006, 08:48 AM
ancbob

The "light" in the bar is a brakelight. I had the bar installed just for appearance. No plans to take my vert to the strip. I do recall a few other posts addressing "real" roll bars if you are looking for more info.

Quick Reply: dealer light bar install woes