Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GIVE IT TO ME STRAIGHT.. CAI..AXLE BACK. 3.73 GEARS ..READ POST.. PLEASE.. :)

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2006, 10:31 PM
rex7010
3rd Gear Member

Default GIVE IT TO ME STRAIGHT.. CAI..AXLE BACK. 3.73 GEARS ..READ POST.. PLEASE.. :)

First off I have a 06 GT with a auto trans.. ( I like the auto trans.. I live in the city and don't like to shift that much ) anyway.....

I am so confused after reading these forums as to what I should buy.. I was thinking about 3.73 gears and a diablo tuner..

that brings me to my first question.. everyone says have a tune done at a shop.. would you lose the tune if your battery went dead.??

does it cost a lot to have it done at a shop..?? is it worth the money..?? can't the diablo do the same thing..??

anybody know a good shop in the Cincinnati, Ohio area ..???

is the diablo a good tuner..?? or is there a better one out there..??

Cold air intake and mufflers .. is there really any HP to be gained there..?? yes I know they say 18 HP at 6,000 RPM's.. or something like that ( for the CAI )

I am looking for the best bang for the buck. as I have said I live in the city so it is a lot of stop and go.. but I also have to go on the highway so I really don't want to go with 4.10 gears..

putting in the gears is not a problem as I was a mechanic for over 20+ years ( until major back problems ) and I have all the tools to due the job..

back to the car...

I am looking at (mostly) 0 to 80 .. but for the most part 0 to 45

I don't have the money for a S/C or I would go with that.. lol

thanks in advance for ANY and ALL advice.. bottom line put yourself in my shoes ( what would you do ..?? ) be serious please.. tires cost big bucks.. I have only smoked them 3 times so far.. lol

with 1,000 miles on her.. and it was not for very long..

Rex

BTW: what does n/a or na mean.???. sorry noob question... I see it in posts all the time.. lol
Old 04-07-2006, 10:39 PM
Tik_Tok
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: GIVE IT TO ME STRAIGHT.. CAI..AXLE BACK. 3.73 GEARS ..READ POST.. PLEASE.. :)

CAI is a good bang for buck buy
Diablo comes with canned tunes, but you'll get more out of it with custom tune, I think usualy custom dyno tune cost is $300-$400
3.73 gears are great for auto's
N/A means normally aspirated (as opposed to supercharger/turbo)

And no thanks on the tools

edit to add:, there are a few handheld programmers available, the best seems to be Diablo, and SCT2
edit to add 2: You'll need a programmer to get the custom tune, so it's cost of programmer + cost of custom tune.
Old 04-07-2006, 10:43 PM
Tik_Tok
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: GIVE IT TO ME STRAIGHT.. CAI..AXLE BACK. 3.73 GEARS ..READ POST.. PLEASE.. :)

Oh, and I've heard from many that axle-back exhausts only change your sound, doesn't give you any more HP or TQ
Old 04-07-2006, 10:48 PM
rex7010
3rd Gear Member

Thanks Tik_Tok,
what does Diablo comes with canned tunes mean.. sorry noob question again..
I got rid of the tool part .. that was kind of cheasy..lol

thanks again.. anybody else.. please KEEP them coming...

thanks

Rex
Old 04-07-2006, 10:49 PM
mustangman2424
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: Tik_Tok

Oh, and I've heard from many that axle-back exhausts only change your sound, doesn't give you any more HP or TQ
Yes that's true, you may see like 1-2hp gain at most but that's it. If you want lots of hp gain from exhaust you'll have to change the headers.
Old 04-07-2006, 11:14 PM
rex7010
3rd Gear Member

About the CAI .. which one is the best .. dollar for dollar.. ???

thanks again everyone..

Rex
Old 04-07-2006, 11:17 PM
blackfoot
4th Gear Member

C&L and SCTII from bamachips i believe is the best bang for the buck something like 600$ for the whole deal and comes with 3 different tunes yo can upload when you want makes a huge difference and its one of the best looking CAI's on the market IMO
Old 04-07-2006, 11:21 PM
MusiccityGT
4th Gear Member

The Diablo comes prepopulated with three tunes, an 87, a 91 and a 93 octane tune. They are good and build nice power but as with all "canned" tunes they run a little rich. Since no 2 cars are identical, they richen them so they are safe. A custom dyno tune is specific to your car using a dyno and wide band A/F ratio readings. A good tuner can make awesome power. Diablo has what they call Chipmaster Revolution Tuners who specialize in Diablo tuning. No, the tune will not be lost if the battery goes dead and the factory tune can b reloaded in about 5 minutes. If you are doing bolt-ons, do them all before the custom tune.

CAI? I love my Airaid, but you will get 50000 different opinions there.
Old 04-08-2006, 02:50 AM
cfr865
3rd Gear Member

Go with 3:73 gear, ud pullies, Sct2 Bamachips tune. Once this is complete you won't believe the difference. Go to Bamachips web site it explains the different set ups and pricing. e-mail him with any questions, he will explain how each tune option works.
Old 04-08-2006, 11:57 AM
drbobvs
5th Gear Member

If you have an auto, whatever tune you get, do it with the SCT not the Diablo. I've had both in my auto and the difference is night and day! I suggest Brenspeeds tune since Brent is very honest knowlegable and helpful. His tunes are some of the best out there. His shift points and firmness are right on.

Exhaust on these things is purely sound, you wont notice performance gains.

I like the c&l intake since I've had Steeda's and the C&l and think the C&L is definitely a better piece and is drillable to add things like NOS and such.

3.73 is a good choice, I just had them done on Wednesday alond with USP's and seems to give the car some pop. Havent really gotten on them yet because it was raining that day and havn't driven the car since.

[IMG]local://upfiles/16153/83F032457F4645809D8005FF9E97A361.jpg[/IMG]

Quick Reply: GIVE IT TO ME STRAIGHT.. CAI..AXLE BACK. 3.73 GEARS ..READ POST.. PLEASE.. :)