Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Brands

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2006, 02:22 PM
Professor Wizard
MF Moderator

Default RE: Oil Brands

Mobil 1 here....
Old 04-11-2006, 03:16 PM
LEJAY
I ♥ Acer

WHY ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ??????????//
Old 04-11-2006, 03:39 PM
tdappleman
1st Gear Member

I use Mobil 1 - slightly higher cost overall, but full synthetics are great alternative to natural oil. You may want to check out "Bob Is The Oil Guy" - http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/

I used to do HPDE and other track events including Solo 1 Time Trials - given the car was running at high RPMs for multiple sessions a day it was cheap insurance. I knew guys who had been running Mobil 1 in their cars from day 1 and had no visible wear on the cam lobes and other visible pieces of the engine. Now this may not always be the case and quite obviously everyone's results may vary. Oil brand/viscosity has become a wierd personal, almost religous choice. Kinda strange...

Bottom line - Ford recommends 5W-20 Synthetic Blend and I (and many others) have chosen to go full synthetic just for peace of mind. When making your choice, remember most synthetic blends have varying amounts of synthetic oils and they are almost always based on conventional stocks.

Oil filters bring up similar opinions and a quick study is the following page - http://people.msoe.edu/~yoderw/oilfi...lterstudy.html

Good luck in your choice!
Old 04-11-2006, 06:07 PM
06GT4RAD
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: LEJAY

Sure Richard, SUPPORT those theives that are nailing you at the gas pump. Do you know they made a $51 billion profit in the 1st qtr ? Give 'em more of your $$$$$$$$$

Dude do you ever have anything positive to say? And what is your solution to NOT buying Mobil 1 buy a more expensive oil. Yeah that makes freakin sense.

Richard
Old 04-11-2006, 08:31 PM
adamante82

I use Royal Purple. Saw a thing on Speed TV where they changed to RP oil and gear fluid. Dyno'd before and after...picked up 12 rwhp. It was an older muscle car.
Old 04-11-2006, 08:43 PM
LEJAY
I ♥ Acer

I've never said anything negative ??????????? Please understand................ Mobile 1 has done the best job at marketing, (brainwashing), HOWEVER, they are not the BEST oil, for $$$ spent.
You have several oil lines to choose from that are NOT, gasoline / retail suppliers.
You have options,............... RP, LUCAS, REDLINE, LUBRICATION ENGINEERS,...etc.
POINT being these suppliers make $$$$ selling lubricants, NOT gasoline.
This isn't NEGATIVE, it's fact.
Old 04-11-2006, 08:50 PM
06GT4RAD
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: LEJAY

I've never said anything negative ??????????? Please understand................ Mobile 1 has done the best job at marketing, (brainwashing), HOWEVER, they are not the BEST oil, for $$$ spent.
You have several oil lines to choose from that are NOT, gasoline / retail suppliers.
You have options,............... RP, LUCAS, REDLINE, LUBRICATION ENGINEERS,...etc.
POINT being these suppliers make $$$$ selling lubricants, NOT gasoline.
This isn't NEGATIVE, it's fact.
I understand what your saying about the other oil companies but Redline and RP are almost double the cost of Mobil 1 and Mobil 1 is made from the same type of base stocks as those two. As for the negative remark to me it just seems like you are being very negative towards anything other than what you believe in. I know we all have out own opinions on things. And giving those opinions is fine but you seem to be doing it in a very sarcastic way to me. Based on how your posting. Sorry not trying to bash you and of course with typed words you cannot detect tone and such so if I am incorrect then i apologize. You just seem to be questioning everyone use of other products. Mobil 1 is a great Synthetic oil and dollar for dollar it really is hard to beat. I know in I actually use Redline produst in my truck such as the trans fluid and the gears oils but there motor oil is way over prioced in my opinion.

Richard
Old 04-12-2006, 03:29 AM
LEJAY
I ♥ Acer

NO problem Richard !!!!!! WEEEEZ ALL BUDS !!!!!!

Now, guys look at it this way. We all want the best. RIGHT ? We want the best performance, aftermarket products, CARS, wax, wheels, etc....
Why do we set a budget on oil ? This is the life blood of that 481cu, or any engine.

SYNTHETICS came about because the gasoline retailers had such terrible base stocks to start with. You see the Mobiles, Texacos, Exxons, Shells etc. REFINE crude to gasoline, the by products of refining is what they make their lubricants from. SYNTHETICS are molecularly altered oils. A more unified structured molecule reduces "shear", this is what breaks down your oil, more so than dirt.

The reason RP, Redline, Lucas, Lubrication Engineers COST more is because they are worth more. You can't just compare price.
I agree that Moble 1 does a good job, however, it doesn't DO the BEST job. and.............. Aren't we after the best ????

Use an oil that has been Hydrocracked from a parrafinnic base stock, that was meant to be a lubricant when it came out of the ground. Likewise with transmission fluids and rear end greases. I can't speak for the other oils, but Lubrication Engineers Products INCREASE HP and fuel mileage, and protect your engine and drive train better than anyone else's product. PERIOD

MORE TO FOLLOW