Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tune fades after time, fact or fiction....

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2006, 12:02 AM
MusiccityGT
4th Gear Member

Default Tune fades after time, fact or fiction....

I have heard a few say that they think the performance tunes fade after a period of time. Well I personally have noticed that the car seems a lot stronger right after reloading the tune. My thinking is that the Spanish oak changes the A/F long terms after a period of time and does effect the tune. My tuner set my long and short term A/F memories to 0. That way the car will map its own a/f curves after it collects info from the o2's. Even though the WOT settings are based on the open loop settings that are programmed into the tune, in closed loop, less than WOT the processor "learns" and adjusts the A/F based on climate variances such as altitude and humidity. By reloading the tune, you are essentialy clearing those "learned" adjustments. I am going to test this theory at the track tomorrow night by reloading the tune after an initial run to see if there is a variance in performance.

Any opinions?
Old 04-11-2006, 08:37 AM
GT John
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Tune fades after time, fact or fiction....

Its funny that you should mention the tune fading.
I've noticed the same thing with my GT.
I've had the car dyno'd quite a few times and after each pull, take it out on the road and the car runs like a bat outta hell, then as time goes on the GT seems to progressively mellow out. (if this is the right word to use)

I would like to know what is going on with the GT and why the cars computer keeps modifying the tune...........or is it!!!!!

Hell I dont know. It sure would be nice to see some experts jump in here and tell us whats going on.
Old 04-11-2006, 10:32 AM
andyman
4th Gear Member

You could just reload the tune.... it doesn't take but 3 minutes. it isn't that big of a deal.

if you think it might be fading, just reload the tune
Old 04-11-2006, 10:50 AM
MusiccityGT
4th Gear Member

I have done that a few times and am going to try it at the track this evening. Haven't reloaded it in a couple of weeks, so I will do a run without and them with the reload. See is the e.t. drops.
Old 04-11-2006, 12:47 PM
ren274u
3rd Gear Member

I noticed after i relead a tune the car has more pep. I gotta do it each time im at the track
Old 04-11-2006, 12:57 PM
JML
1st Gear Member

Tues don´t fade. several things happen:

Throttle body looses it´s original alignment (each time you reflash the car, this is done) and the powerful mind (you get used to it) are the real cause.
Old 04-11-2006, 02:05 PM
The Ghost
3rd Gear Member

I think the tune fades, I have noticed it on my car as well. One hard evidence is the fact that it doesn't chirp nearly as hard in second and it won't chirp third. It's an auto. After a reload it will nearly get loose on the 1-2 and bark the 2-3 strongly. I re-load at the track as well.
Old 04-11-2006, 02:10 PM
Fourth Horseman
2nd Gear Member

The PCMs are digital computers. There's no way the tune (ie. the program running on the PCM) could possibly fade. If it were to 'fade' it would just outright fail and your car wouldn't run. There are certainly other things to explain what you are all feeling, such as JML mentions. Don't forget that the PCM has the ability to 'learn' how you drive the car and will make adjustments. Also, weather is a huge factor in how engines run and one that most people don't even consider. Air temperature and humidity can affect how your car is running. But rest assured, the program on a digital computer will not fade. 1s and 0s are 1s and 0s and will not change with time.
Old 04-11-2006, 02:14 PM
Professor Wizard
MF Moderator

The tune does "fade".

The computer is designed to adjust itself over time to your driving habits. If you use your car for a daily driver, it will detune with time as you do your routine driving, readjusting itself for optimum performance WITH efficiency based on your driving habits. (Power Tunes disregard efficiency!)

if you get on it a LOT - the power tune will stick longer... if you simply drive it in "get where I am going" mode most of the time, it will detune.

Reflashing your tune will reset - -, also - disconnecting the battery for 10 seconds will also reset the "self adjusting" parameters the system use, forcing it to relearn or readjust those settings. (Drive it hard after power reset! to teach the car to use a power tune!)

Fading tune is a "gimmie" you just have to deal with for having a "Smart: car.
Old 04-11-2006, 02:17 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Mmmkay, I see a misinterpretation here on fading and learning. The PCM module does not lose or cause the tune to fade. The PCM DOES have the ability to modify a tune based on the drivers driving habits. So, if a tune feels like it's Faded after some time, it's because the car has tweaked (learned) to tune the program to your driving habits.

Quick Reply: Tune fades after time, fact or fiction....