Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hertz Mustang GT-H On Cover Of USA Today

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2006, 04:52 PM
JStang78
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Hertz Mustang GT-H On Cover Of USA Today

ORIGINAL: Bingo

If it won't make them money, Ford won't do it. All they're doing - as I see it - is selling Shelby the GTs and having him Hertzify them. Ford - or any other company - wouldn't do something that would result in a loss. That's just business.
Nobody's saying that they will necessarily lose money on the deal, but the thing that people like Fairlane is pointing out is that their resources and efforts would have been better applied elsewhere, such as in creating another Bullitt or Mach 1.
Old 04-12-2006, 04:58 PM
fairlane292
5th Gear Member

"any other company - wouldn't do something that would result in a loss." You can't be serious with that statement; Do you want me to list every 2005 GM model that sold at a loss? oh; no need, every model did.

As jstang78 said "their resources and efforts would have been better applied elsewhere" Resources are a limited asset (and a precious one for US automakers these days); and when your co is struggling you very carefully and efficiently apply them for the greatest income potential. If you think a 500 unit specialty version that the consumer cannot even purchase if they want to is a carefully and efficient use of resources then I sure won't be able to convince you. Ford's planning and strategy has been more suspect lately since the recent complete miscalculation of demand when nearly 20,000 2005 GT orders were cancelled. No company is exempt from making mistakes; even big ones. The #1 car company, soon to be #2; made financial mistakes with GTO, SSR and many more.
Old 04-12-2006, 05:00 PM
Bingo
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: JStang78

Nobody's saying that they will necessarily lose money on the deal, but the thing that people like Fairlane is pointing out is that their resources and efforts would have been better applied elsewhere, such as in creating another Bullitt or Mach 1.
I don't see how that's wise. They'd have to draw up entirely new plans for a car, and re-engineer certain parts. All they're doing is selling 500 black GTs to Shelby. Hell, it's probably 500 more than they would've sold otherwise...
Old 04-12-2006, 05:06 PM
Railrider
2nd Gear Member

That makes me wanna PUKE!!!![:@]

Why make this exclusive to Hertz, So some A$$hole can rent one
take it out and beat the **** out of it and bring it back smoking?

I just don't get it, Let someone who would take care of it Buy one....BUT NOOOOOO!!!

[sm=WTFsgign.gif]
Old 04-12-2006, 05:09 PM
JStang78
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Bingo

ORIGINAL: JStang78

I don't see how that's wise. They'd have to draw up entirely new plans for a car, and re-engineer certain parts. All they're doing is selling 500 black GTs to Shelby. Hell, it's probably 500 more than they would've sold otherwise...
I disagree with the last part the most. You really think they'd have had trouble selling an extra 500 GTs? How about people in this very thread who mention how they're still waiting for the one they ordered weeks or months ago? It's wise in that they'd have sold more units and have had a more open-ended pricing option (I'd suspect that Shelby and Hertz bought these cars for a set wholesale price). And the fact is...they did make this car. Throw Shelby's name behind a special edition GT, and it will sell. I don't think they'd have to reengineer anything. They could have more appropraitely applied these ideas elsewhere. That's all anyone is saying.

That said, I'm still going to check when I fly into Cali next month to see if these are available, and if so, if I can get on a list for it. I'm not knocking the car - it looks great, and the whole "history" of the project is awesome, as is the fact that there are cars like this available for rent. I just think that resigning themselves to selling to Hertz only isolates them from what could be a huge revenue boon.
Old 04-12-2006, 05:15 PM
fairlane292
5th Gear Member

EXACTLY!!! ...got some wrong people at the helm; that's all.

Old 04-12-2006, 06:44 PM
Menace
5th Gear Member

I'd imagine Ford will drop in one of their Performance packages for the model, and their objective is probably for people to rent, fall in love with it, and buy one? lol.
Old 04-12-2006, 06:57 PM
JStang78
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Menace

I'd imagine Ford will drop in one of their Performance packages for the model, and their objective is probably for people to rent, fall in love with it, and buy one? lol.
Actually, that's a good point, and mmm...not all too different fromn another discussion here, about how many V6 verts there are for rent, and what a good marketing strategy it was for Ford. Touché. Just that, since the GT model is already out there in decent numbers, and a lot of people already know the car is out there and what it can do...I don't see much benefit in delaying the public release. Maybe (and now I'm just debating myself) to see what Dodge does with the Challenger?
Old 04-12-2006, 07:11 PM
ThisBlood147
5th Gear Member

I dunno, but if this a rental program car ONLY.......I think we just saw the unveiling of the future Most Stolen Car in the U.S.
Old 04-12-2006, 09:49 PM
Daniel60
5th Gear Member

Well my mustang is black and I have about that much horsepower with the stick so no thanks. Also I don't like the one set of lights in the grill. I'm in the minority but I like the GT grill. Yeah the hood and stripes look great!

Quick Reply: Hertz Mustang GT-H On Cover Of USA Today